Postings by Zack

GO!

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

Behavior & Training > Eating Cat Poop
Zack

Move or I'll- plough you down!- (lovingly)

Barked: Fri Nov 15, '13 1:31pm PST 
Zack has had this habit for a while, now. He eats cat poo any chance he gets.

I know there are several reasons why dogs perform coprophagia - habits, deficiencies etc. But I'm not entirely sure what Zacks reason is. He's raw fed, and I make sure his diet is balanced. The extremely selective nature of his 'habit' makes me highly doubt it's nutritionally based.

He suffers from anxiety, and cats are things that cause him to react. He hates them being in the garden and has attacked (and then been beaten up by) those that venture too close. He ONLY eats cat poop. Not other dogs, not foxes, and not his own poop. Just cats.

I was wondering if anyone else has any experience in this very selective form of coprophagia, and what you did to prevent it?

Thanks.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Zack, Nov 15 1:31 pm

Raw Food Diet > you know you are a raw feeder when....
Zack

Barked: Fri May 31, '13 3:02pm PST 
When you're going through the checkout with ten packs of ox heart and kidney that's all going out of date - the cashiers must be wondering what the hell you're planning to do with all of that : P Or a ton of pig trotters - they're always fun, too, haha.

When you get super excited about a delivery of fifty chicken carcasses.

When you have an entire chest freezer and almost half of your smaller freezer dedicated to one dog..

When you change your labelling system and excitedly explain it all to your friends, who clearly do not give a damn : P
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Hank, Jun 5 6:17 am

Senior Dogs > This Portland woman wants to put her old dog down herself. Please advise.

Zack

Barked: Fri Mar 22, '13 5:46am PST 
i would most definatly get a vet to come to the house. Whoever it is needs to call the vet and talk to them about the situation, something might be able to be done to keep the dog calmer. In its home environment the dog will be much less stressed, and perhaps the person could even give the vet an unwashed hoodie to wear, or ask them to come in their normal, non-work uniform so that they do not bring the scent of the vet practice with them as that might stress the dog out if its fear of vets is severe.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Delta, Sep 9 6:56 pm

Dog Health > She's Now Back in the Hands of People who Starved Her...

Zack

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 3:01am PST 
I know, I've already considered that beatings, bricks through windows and smashed up car would be down the road if they found out it was us, but I can't let her suffer because I didn't want to do the right thing because I was too afraid of the consequences of helping her. I've never turned away from an animals in need and I certainly won't start now.

Hopefully the council will contact the RSPCA and we can just stay in the background. I don't think he'd suspect us unless the council said something, because as far as he knows we just found his dog and gave it back to him, and a few days have passed since then. It's true that if I had been home I would have never given her back, but at least he thinks that we were happy to return her and have no quarrels with him. I'll only be looking for her if the council and RSPCA refuse to help. From the looks of it he doesn't beat her, my partner said she was happy to see him. I did notice that when she was with us her ears would go back a lot, but she wouldn't cower. I loved seeing her wag her tail when I went into the kitchen to cuddle her. Such a happy wag :')
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jan 24 11:53 pm

Zack

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 2:00pm PST 
Still no word from the dog warden frown

I doubt listening for her would work, since when she was here there was barely a peep out of her. She's a very quiet dog, which is weird for a breed that was bred to guard :/ I think I'd be able to find her, though, if I really tried. The street she lives on is quite a big one, but I think she's near a school which narrows it down a bit.

The owners confuse me. Apparently the guy said 'his wife and kids are going nuts' because they were missing her, and he cared enough to report her missing to the council, but he doesn't feed her and keeps her chained in the back garden and doesn't even notice when she actually goes missing. It makes no sense! You can CLEARLY see that she is starving! It just frustrates me! The guys kids will be learning that it is ok to treat a dog like that, and that being able to see her ribs and hips is perfectly normal. Ugh. People really do discust me sometimes..
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jan 24 11:53 pm

Zack

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 1:55am PST 
On Thursday I found a starving Alsatian (with possible husky in her), and took her home. We reported her to the dog warden, who actually failed to turn up and claim her that day so she ended up staying the night. Her ribs and hip bones were clearly visable, and her back and and tail were all matted to hell. She is a beautiful dog, both outside and in - I've never met such a loving creature. She was starving. We fed her a meal, which she threw up because it was too much for her, and then we realised our error and fed her little and often, just very small meals every 4 hours and she was able to keep them down. Everyone who I spoke to reckoned she'd been dumped.

Anyway, my partner got a call from the dog warden yesterday. Theyd found an owner. He lived around the corner, and was coming to get her. This all happened whilst I was at work, cause I'd have never have let him take her if I'd been home. He said that she'd gotten out on Thursday night, which is a lie because I found her Thursday morning, and that was AFTER locals had said they'd seen her roaming for a few days. He didn't know when she'd escaped, and said shes 'kept in the garden on a really long lead'.. so how often must he be feeding her if he doesnt even realise she's missing until a day or two after!? In response to why she's so thin, he said 'she gets like it every year'. Ok, so maybe she has a muscle wasting conditon, but I doubt it. Personally, I doubt it'd come back every year, its a disease, not friggin Christmas. Anyone who knows anything about this sort of thing, please let me know if I'm wrong. I suppose the matts just appear every year too -.-'

I emailed the dog warden and sent them photo's of her, and begged them to help me rescue her. They haven't replied yet. They're the only ones who know her address. I'm refraining from knocking on doors to find her because I live in a bad area, and if he knows we're trying to get his dog taken off him then we'll find bricks coming through our windows and fists in our faces. He knows where we live from when he came to claim her. But still, I can't leave her like this. My partner asked me to consider the consequences of getting involved, but I just can't leave her to be starved like that. She's such a beautiful dog.

I'd attach photo's for you all, but I don't know how to do that with Dogster.

Anyway, yeah. Just needed to rant a bit about it. It's really getting to me. Thanks for reading.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Jan 24 11:53 pm

Raw Food Diet > Bummed

Zack

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 3:52am PST 
I actually have experience with itchy skin as my Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Zack, suffered from it. His skin used to be raw, especially on his arm pits, belly and neck, and he used to always, ALWAYS chew his paws. It got so bad that the fur on his neck came off and we were advised not to put a collar on him because it was so sore. We were told to bathe him with Malaseb shampoo at least once a week, which helped a little but was bad as it took the oils from his skin and it was only soothing the skin and not solving the actual problem. He also had an injection and steroid cream for his neck.

We moved him onto Orijen kibble, and although his skin and fur condition improved it was only minimal.

Then we found out about the raw diet, and put him on that. I don't really think two weeks is a reasonable time length as it took months for Zacks skin to actually look healthy again and the fur to grow back. His skin is now lovely and healthy, as is his coat, and he is now able to wear a collar again as the fur on his neck has grown back. Occassionally in the summer he will get red arm pits and a bit of an itchy neck as its that time of year when it used to flare up really badly, but now it's only a very small amount and no way near as bad as it was. As for his paws, he hasn't chewed them in over a year smile

Personally I would give it at least two months to make sure that the diet could not help with your dogs skin, as it really helped with Zacks and it took months for it to heal properly. I can honestly say that switching to raw is the best thing I have ever done for him, health wise smile

Hope this helps - best of luck to you smile
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Lacey, Dec 22 7:58 am

Raw Food Diet > Does your dog bury food in the yard?

Zack

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 1:27pm PST 
Zack usually eats his raw food instantly, the only thing he ever burys are pork trotters. Usually I watch him bury it and he goes through a process of burying it, leaving it for all of two seconds, digging it up again, burying it somewhere else etc. He does this a few times before eating it. A few weeks ago, however, I wasn't watching where he burried it as I expected him to dig it up straight away as usual, and it got me really worried because I couldnt find it and he wasn't interested in digging it up. He finally did in the evening though. Phew. I wouldn't let it sit for long enough to defrost, as anything with bone in it he gets frozen.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Dec 12 2:20 pm

Raw Food Diet > Rabbit Heads.. Just the Heads..

Zack

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 3:10am PST 
I know this may sound silly but he's never tried rabbit, haha. He generally loves just about any meat though so I'm not worried that he won't like it. I'm not planning to purchase any heads until the new year, so will be introducing rabbit this month so that his gut has time to get used to it. Saying that, his gut is pretty impressive when introducing new foods as it seems to take to them straight away, although I still introduce them gradually anyway.

The rabbit head will be skinned and fed frozen to begin with, and eventually will be fed with the fur on if he allows it. He's never had fur, so I'm not sure how he'll take to it. He likes to tear things though so I can imagine him playing with it more than anything else, haha. Is there anything different to normal that I should know about feeding heads, or is it just the same rules of 'know thy dog' and be watchful when feeding them?

Still waiting o
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Zack, Dec 9 3:10 am

Raw Food Diet > Rabbit Heads.. Just the Heads..
Zack

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 10:55am PST 
Good idea, Saya, thanks smile I wasn't really looking forward to scooping bits of brain out for another meal, haha. Saying that, when I began the raw diet I was funny about touching raw meat and stuff - now look at me big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Zack, Dec 9 3:10 am

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.