Postings by Lucky

GO!

Food & Nutrition > Commercially available low purine dog food

Lucky

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '12 2:40pm PST 
I thought about the possibility of a liver shunt but the results of his blood work don't really indicate one based on what I've read. I know that more sophisticated testing is required for a definite diagnosis but my vet doesn't offer these and I'm sure they're probably pretty pricey.

I bought a can of the u/d prescription diet to try out to see if my picky dog would like it. One thing that I was surprised to see is that it has pork liver and from what I've read organ meats have one of the highest purines levels. Should I be worried about feeding him this?

I'm going to look into vegetarian dog foods as another alternative, too, thanks.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Oct 18 1:51 pm

Lucky

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 3:00pm PST 
Thanks for the replies. I'm a little hesitant to buy non prescription-diet food for him because the food he has been eating for years appears as thought it would be low purine and also because the Rx food is so expensive. The food he had eaten for about 6 years is Nutro's Natural Choice dry food for sensitive stomachs; here are the ingredients:

Chicken Meal, Ground Rice, Rice Flour, Rice Bran, Whole Brown Rice, Chicken, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Oatmeal, Pea Protein, Natural Flavors, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Soybean Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Potassium Chloride, Sodium Bicarbonate, L-Lysine, Salt, Choline Chloride, Egg Product, Dried Kelp, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Copper Proteinate, Biotin, Niacin Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement.

Based on the research I've done it appears as thought this food should be low purine. Does anyone see any ingredients that may have increased his purine levels?
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Oct 18 1:51 pm

Dog Health > Questions about recovery from surgery

Lucky

Barked: Sun Oct 7, '12 10:28am PST 
Lucky had a cystotomy 9 days ago and has been yelping, whining, and shivering in pain for the past 2-3 days. I took him to the vet who said that it was probably because of pain from the incision site healing but I'm not so sure. Are there any doggies out there who have had this level of pain this many days out of surgery?

Last night he woke up in pain around 3am and wasn't able to go back to sleep until around 6:30 because he was so uncomfortable. I feel that the pain might be caused by something internally. Thankfully he is completely fine other than the crying: he's eating well and going to the bathroom fine.

He is going in tomorrow to remove his stitches so hopefully I will get some more answers then.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Rascal, Oct 8 6:34 am

Lucky

Barked: Sun Oct 7, '12 10:11am PST 
Does anyone know of a low purine dog food (preferably canned) that is available at pet stores? Lucky was recently diagnosed with ammonium urate stones after a cystotomy and so far I have only been giving him home cooked food.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Oct 18 1:51 pm

Dog Health > Need help identifying worms found in dog's bed. Link to Pics

Lucky

Barked: Sun Jan 29, '12 8:26am PST 
Just did a google search and discovered that these are flea larvae. I'm relieved they're not a type of internal parasite although they can cause them if the dog swallows an infected flea. So now to research good flea prevention treatments.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jan 29 8:31 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.