Postings by Kloppers

GO!

(Page 1 of 20: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  

Dog Health > Hardwood/Laminate floors and joints
Kloppers

Barked: Fri Apr 11, '14 5:05am PST 
I have a chihuahua with pretty bad luxating patellas and also a Saint with bad polyarthritis, our entire house is laminate floors. We put a rug by the couch so Chi can get up and down, but she also has stairs. We use to have carpet runners, however they were more dangerous than good here. So now we have a nice rug by back door and the living room rug, and the Saint has a bed. They dogs are not allowed to play in the house, well no running play. So they have no issues walking from place to place on the laminate. However if your dogs like to play and run through the house, it can be dangerous. We just have so much sand and dirt being brought in from the yard between the kids and dogs our rugs even with pads under, they never stayed in place. I had to pick them up and sweep and mop under them daily, so they would stick another day. My pups seem to avoid the help I give them, the chi rarely uses the stairs I provide her, and the Saint very rarely laid on any runner I set out, it was either the cold floor or her bed.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kali earned her wings 10/21/14, Apr 13 5:22 pm

Dog Health > Mast cell Tumor
Kloppers

Barked: Tue Apr 8, '14 6:38pm PST 
My min pin was diagnosed with mast cell tumor in Sept 13, she had it removed with clean margins..however hers had already spread to her lymph nodes. She passed away almost exactly 2 months after diagnosis from complications from the cancer.

My only advice is have it removed as fast as you can, you won't know much about until it is removed. I wish you guys the besthug
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kloppers, Apr 8 6:38 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Help I fell in love with a dog!

Kloppers

Barked: Fri Mar 21, '14 3:54am PST 
I would put in an application anyway, a lot of good rescues do not take apps on first come first serve, but instead the best fit for the dog.

Good Luck on whatever you decideway to go
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Sarah, CW-SR, CW-G1, CGC, Mar 25 7:27 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Free to good home, 14 month chi, moving can't keep her. :( rant

Kloppers

Barked: Wed Mar 12, '14 4:43am PST 
We have had to rent many times with several animals, this time being 7 total animals. I have been able to find a few houses allowing the pets but not without a hefty price, currently we are looking at 750 deposit per pet. Surprisingly I have had better luck with more expensive houses, and we have better luck renting from military(we are also military). The last time we moved 5 yrs ago we paid 350 per pet, all being non refundable. I am trying to work with owners and property manager now to make at least 1/2 the pet deposit being refundable this time. We have to really cut back expenses when renting because we have to spend more on housing than we would if we owned, but not much of a point to buy for a year. I honestly don't think I could leave a pet behind, I told my husband if we couldn't find a rental he would be going by himself for the year until we moved somewhere more permanent.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Princesse Lily CGN, Mar 23 10:18 am

Dogs & Travel > Traveling 3100 miles with 7 animals in one car

Kloppers

Barked: Tue Feb 18, '14 3:57am PST 
Trixie, that was kind of my plan, I am not a fan of flexi leashes, but I do think letting her get farther away could work. I have some heavy duty dive rope my husband is going to knot up and make me a long leash. I had read a lot of reviews pertaining to long leash claps breaking, so for safety we will use caribeaners. We went to the park the other day to work with her on the long leash, I just put several leashed together for now, we had fun and worked on her recall, but after 2 hrs of sniffing she did not pee once. I guess training them not to potty on walks has come back to bite me in the butt, I sure hope we can find a place to rent with a fenced yard.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Jul 23 5:03 am

Kloppers

Barked: Sun Feb 16, '14 4:21am PST 
Thank you for your ideas. We plan on putting anything luggage needed on top the car or in the uhaul. We can not rent another car because my husband will be driving the uhaul and pulling his car. I might however be able to convince one kid to ride with the hubby, my mini me wouldn't do it. I might be able to have one kid and possibly own dog ride with the uhaul. My husband is really allergic to the cats and rabbit, so making him ride with them would be mean...he likely wouldn't be able to see within the first 100 miles. I like the idea of a flexi leash, I will start getting her used to that now, and see how she does...thank you for that suggestion. I have been looking at the pet hotels website, and think I found some good ones at stops I have planned on. Luckily we have family in Chicago area, so I plan on stopping there. We are planning on 800 miles a day, and spending the next day relaxing before getting back in the car, stops include Chicago, IL, Bismarck, ND, Missoula, MT. If we have too we can pay for my in laws to help with driving, but that adds cost due paying for their plane tickets, and then we lose seats in the cars.

I have never been out west, well except for a short trip to Jackson Hole, WY...anyone know how the mountains out there will be with a 26 ft uhaul and car trailer?
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Jul 23 5:03 am

Kloppers

Barked: Sat Feb 15, '14 9:37am PST 
I need advice on how to travel 3100 with a car full of animals. We were not expecting orders across the country...but it is what we got. I have a ford flex, so it is not tiny..but I also have 2 kids who require safety seats. I honestly don't even know where to start, I have already began looking for boarding stops, because no hotel will allow this amount of animals...but only one dog has all her boarding vaccines. Xmas also will not go to the bathroom on a leash.

I will take any suggestions possible right now, as of now I have planned to have the chihuahua in the front seat( in a center console car seat), have the kids squished to the big side, and put the seat on the other side down, then I can either shove a dog crate next to them with the 2 cats in it, or put the dog crate behind the kids with cats, and that will allow the bigger dogs the long skinny side, then the rabbit will be in the floor in a small carrier. The only problem with this is our Saint takes up a lot of room, and I am not sure she will fit in the back with the dog crate.

I will take any advice out there, just trying to gather my thoughts to make an actionable plan.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Jul 23 5:03 am

Dog Health > cost associated with grade 6 heart murmur

Kloppers

Barked: Wed Jan 15, '14 3:41am PST 
My Saint has a heart murmur and ASD, and with an annual membership to Walgreens prescription club of 20, we spend 45 every 2 months on her meds. She is taking enalapril and hydralazine. The meds for the dog you are looking at will likely be different, my dog is 145lbs..so she needs more meds than a smaller dog. We also do bloodwork every 4-6 months and here in VA that runs about $175-215.

I would ask if the dog has seen a cardiologist, in the city I live in the regular vets refer you to cardiologist over murmurs and only they do the rechecks. I spend around 600 every 6 months on that visit. I love my dog to death, but if I would of known this was going to be her life I likely wouldn't of adopted her. She is only 4( we adopted her 3 yrs ago) and this cycle will likely continue many many more years.

How old is the dog you are looking at adopting?
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Seela, Jan 20 7:28 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Shouldn't all rescues spay/neuter before adoption?

Kloppers

Barked: Wed Dec 11, '13 2:33pm PST 
Thank you all for your responses.

This past Saturday was an adoption event and I took my foster. So many things happened that were not okay, I am confused of how to proceed. One that made me really upset was some questionable looking people came up and asked about pitbulls, and my foster was said to be a beagle/hound...but now she is pit x, and instead of being 7-8 months she was 4-5 months, and going to be 75 lbs ( really more like 50). Everything they said to them was a lie to try and get them to adopt this dog, I was livid. Then a owner return that was adopted out 3 wks before, was adopted out at 150...now her adoption fee is 80, well until a breeder said she looked purebred English setter, then her fee was changed to 300. Now this one is the worst, there was an owner return, deaf dog( wasn't adopted out knowing he was deaf), he was returned 2 weeks ago, and has now been in 4 differenst fosters, because different reasons, cat chasing, mean to small dogs, so on on...well a family with older kids was looking for a dog, and they had a very sweet chocolate lab, still young, I think they said 15 months...well she is a typical young lab with absolutely no training..the rescue was trying to convince this family that the deaf dog would be a perfect fit, yet they have failed to train a hearing dog...I just don't get it.

I am so done, but I dont think I can give up on my foster. She has came so far in the short time I have had her...however at the adoption events I can't hold her leash because she guards me..she is okay when someone else has her, but she reverts back to her old scared ways. I know I don't want to adopt her, which is hypocritical since I want to be picky about who does adopt her. I just want her next home to be her last, and I want the one who does adopt her to understand it will take her 2 wks or so to readjust, seems the people adopting from this rescue don't give these dogs time. She use to be a submissive urinator, but has completely overcome that...however I see it being something she would revert back to in a new environment, atleast at first.

It is wrong I want to be so picky but don't want to commit to being her family forever? I also do not have any desire to have a dog going through a heat cycle confused
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kloppers, Dec 11 2:33 pm

Behavior & Training > Best way to help dog cope with loss of bestfriend?
Kloppers

Barked: Wed Dec 11, '13 12:20pm PST 
My chihuahua, Tinker, is devastated by the loss of our best friend Zoe. Zoe was my heart dog and tolerated Tinker...but Tinker loved Zoe. She seems really lost without her, she had been a constant in her life since we got Tinker 9 years ago.

Tinker is eating normally, but she sulks all day long. She won't settle unless I am holding her, and she has to be in my lap or arms at all times. Tinker was Zoe's shadow, I don't think Tinker ever laid down without being on top of Zoe or touching her atleast. My other dogs move to much to be comfort to Tinker, or atleast till the night.

I have been tending to Tinker and holding her and what not, but if I can't hold her she wants to sit at the kitchen table (that is where Zoe sat), I don't particularly care, but we have a counter height table and laminate floors...so it is dangerous for Tinker to jump from there. She won't lay on the couch and be content. If it wasn't for Zoe's loss I would just ignore this behavior from her if it was happening..and I know she would get the hint and go lay down. I tried to ignore her and she just won't go lay down, then she makes herself a target to the foster by whining. So I try and move her to a safe spot and she comes right back.

How long should I give her to grieve, I know I haven't even begin to let myself grieve, but I don't want to prolong her grieving by catering to her and projecting my feelings on her, I have read so much..but they all say different things. We both lost our best friend when Zoe passed away, but I don't want to let her down by being a source of negative on Tinker.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kali earned her wings 10/21/14, Dec 11 5:22 pm

(Page 1 of 20: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.