GO!

(Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  

Choosing the Right Dog > Working GSD, Mal, other? Doing homework. :)
Niki

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 7:38pm PST 
Well when you're training a dog for protection work ... it should be taken very,very seriously and not done half-as*ed.
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by , Nov 15 3:32 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Working GSD, Mal, other? Doing homework. :)
Niki

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 5:19pm PST 
Totally think Dobermans are worth looking into. They are a breed I've admired for being flashy at shows ... but once I met a few and spent a lot of time with them, I was in LOVE. I like dogs that are on the clingy side and Dobermans fit perfectly. There is something about them that is very human-like, thats I've also noticed in standard poodles. Perhaps it's just high intelligence without the exuberant energy .... focused, loyal, and such sweethearts! They have a lot of character and personality. They can have some issues that others breeds aren't as predisposed to, such as DA (especially males living with other males), but I'm not sure if it would be that much different than with an Akita. I don't think I would recommend a male Doberman with a male Akita though ... just a bit riskier than a female. Health issues can be more prominent too. I have a colleague that works in Doberman rescue and says the oldies are absolute mushes ... so I would look into reputable, well-researched, Doberman-specific rescues if this dog is a pet-only. But if you are truly interested in performance, obviously a well-breed young dog would serve you better. Advanced obedience also requires a high level of owner-dog relationship and just seems less severe than Schutzhund. I admire good working Schutzhund dogs .... but unless I can commit 200% to do the sport with absolute, lifetime dedication and knowledgable trainers, its not a sport I'd recommend pursuing.
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by , Nov 15 3:32 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Future Breed Match

Niki

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 11:26am PST 
I know a couple Leos. They are great dog - but HUGE. From show lines they resemble a Tibetan Mastiff. Sweet, not overly active dogs that have a personality like a Bernese Mountain Dog, but slightly less boisterous. These dogs are good on and off a leash, they aren't super obedient, but will listen when called and have good house manners. It's good you said drooling isn't a big issue ... but I don't think they are as bad as Newfs in this department. I wouldn't consider the dogs I know (again from Show-lines) to be super athletic. They love to hike and swim, but aren't going to be stand-out agility or frisbee athletes. Jolly, happy, and sweet-natured dogs that are a good balance of independent and loyal.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Nov 16 8:12 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Hey Tiller - Still have that lovely English Setter?

Niki

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 11:15am PST 
Just got your message and responded! smile

If that husky came to visit my house, I guarantee he would not leave. Looks like such a precious old soul!
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Nov 11 4:11 pm

Niki

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 7:18am PST 
Hi Tiller ... I'm impressed with your match-making skills! Happy to hear of all the people interested in rescue too. smile

I sent you a pm a few days ago with more information about my friend. To sum it up, he basically needs a beginner-friendly dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Nov 11 4:11 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Depressed--my search may be over before it starts
Niki

Barked: Mon Nov 5, '12 9:43am PST 
Talk to an allergist! You don't have to rule out all dog breeds with fur either, some of my family members don't react to certain breeds that are not considered hypoallergenic. There is also the immunotherapy option that you can get to completely desensitize yourself to the allergy...not invasive, complicated, or costly either.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Nov 6 7:21 am

Behavior & Training > What do you think dogs dream about?

Niki

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 6:13pm PST 
My dogs bark and run most often in their sleep ... sometimes they twitch their lips too - eating or growling perhaps.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Nov 5 9:25 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > High Drive Dogs

Niki

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 9:25am PST 
This facebook group is FULL of ACDs looking for a good home https://www.facebook.com/pages/Herding-Dogs-in-Eastern-USA-Shelters/ 195216493907060?fref=ts ... not sure if there is a western equivalent, but I'm certain there are plenty (or more) on that side of the country looking for homes too. smile

Glad she's decided on a herding breed. I would take an Aussie over an ACD any day, but I have known a couple of them that were happy, good dogs.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Nov 5 12:05 am

Niki

Barked: Sat Nov 3, '12 6:20am PST 
Thanks for the responses! I'm glad the dog sounds like its found a good home!smile
[notify]
» There has since been 30 posts. Last posting by , Nov 11 4:11 pm

Niki

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 6:39pm PST 
....I may have a great home in mind. Single young man looking for a companion & has his own house in Mass. If I remember correctly, that setter sounded like an awesome dog for the right person.... and I'm trying to steer him away from labs, LOL.
[notify]
» There has since been 33 posts. Last posting by , Nov 11 4:11 pm

(Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.