GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Looking for someone to adopt an abused dog that bites
Zim

OBEY ME

Barked: Wed Sep 11, '13 5:30pm PST 
Based on how sudden these behaviors are (fine one minute, biting the next) and the fact that there is fly snapping involved, it honestly sounds to me like this aggression is probably seizures. You might want to talk to a vet about getting the dog on medication. It should at least decrease the incidence of these behaviors, if they are in fact seizures, and make him much more adoptable even if you still can't keep him.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Sep 12 6:37 pm

Behavior & Training > He thinks everything is for him!
Zim

OBEY ME

Barked: Sat Jul 27, '13 7:39am PST 
Anytime a new stuffed animal enters the house, Zim starts desperately begging for it. I only own one stuffed animal that he leaves alone: the teddy bear my husband got me for my 16th birthday. Zim has been taught to leave him alone (not play with him or destroy him---he likes tearing the eyes off stuffed animals but he otherwise never destroys stuffed animals) since he was little, so he leaves my bear alone except to cuddle with it. Otherwise, though? Well, he's kind of put an end to my stuffed animal hoarding ways. I bought myself a Portal companion cube a few months back and guess whose toy it is now?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jul 27 7:39 am

Puppy Place > The wait..

Zim

OBEY ME

Barked: Fri Jul 26, '13 9:32pm PST 
Yamabushi is a fantastic breeder. Not a Kai Ken fan myself (many of them are not confident enough/too flighty for me), but if you're looking for an active dog that will be a good companion for your other one then it's a great breed.
[notify]
» There has since been 28 posts. Last posting by , Sep 21 1:14 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Ask a Vet: Just How Dangerous Is It to Falsely Call a Pet a Service Dog?

Zim

OBEY ME

Barked: Fri Jul 19, '13 12:34am PST 
Returning to the original article, I actually got the impression that he thought it was kind of horrible that someone like a psychologist, who is supposed to help people with mental disabilities, would want to deny someone a service animal that could actually help them:

"The column points out that overusing the service animal label reduces the status of "true" service dogs, and that a dog who prevents a panic attack in its owner might well inspire a panic attack (or allergic reaction) in someone else. These points are reasonable, but in my opinion they are not especially sympathetic coming from someone whose role in life is to ease the psychological pain of people in need."
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jul 21 7:58 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > Is there anything i can do? Prong collars for basic obedience

Zim

OBEY ME

Barked: Mon Jun 3, '13 3:57am PST 
The use of prong collars should be governed by whatever animal cruelty laws your state has. Those laws are generally applicable, meaning that any behavior that violates them will be illegal even if the specific act at issue (i.e. choking a dog out with a prong collar) is not mentioned.

For instance, in my state (Illinois), this would probably be a violation of 510 ILCS 70/3.01 Cruel Treatment (Class A misdemeanor).

Link to Illinois Animal Cruelty laws, for reference:
http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusil510ilcs70_1_16. htm
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jun 3 3:57 am

Behavior & Training > Does your dog have a crazy pet peeve?
Zim

OBEY ME

Barked: Mon Jun 3, '13 3:47am PST 
Zim will give you a stern talking to if you try and brush something off the furniture. I think he hates the noise it makes. That's probably the weirdest one.

He also hates the sound of small electric motors (RC cars, wind-up flashlights, etc). Gas motor? No problem (even chainsaws, he wants to go check those out *facepalm*), but that little RC car is the devil. He also hates it if you crate one of his friends in his presence. We cannot put my sister-in-law's dog to bed (in the crate) over the holidays if Zim can see. He'll raise you-know-what about it.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jun 3 6:00 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Which one first? Corgi or Shiba?

Zim

OBEY ME

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 9:08am PST 
I can think of at least 2 very reputable Shiba breeders who, if you got a dog from them, I wouldn't worry about adding another dog later. My own opinion is that breeder is everything when you get a Shiba (not that this isn't true for other breeds but I just tend to think you can get a far more manageable dog from some breeders).

As far as Corgis and play style, it has been my impression from other Shiba owners that their play styles are very compatible as both tend to be rough, energetic players. Bullying is something I would worry about, though. My dog loves other dogs but is a bit of a bully (king of the roost at daycare), but that said, he can take it, at least to some extent, as well as dish it. I think this is the sort of thing that can be just fine as long as you're aware of it and manage it from the beginning.

For myself, I would not worry about adding another dog to my household. He loves all other dogs. I would be more concerned with making sure the other dog was as interested in playing as he is, were I to look at adding another. That said, he is a little less than a year and a half old and could still become more intolerant of other dogs up to age two.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Apr 4 8:48 pm

Shiba Inu > Shiba Inu is the Grown Up Daily Puppy

Zim

OBEY ME

Barked: Mon Mar 25, '13 6:25am PST 
And it's yours truly!

http://www.dailypuppy.com/dogs/zim-the-shiba-inu_2013-03-2 5
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Mar 25 6:25 am

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > I Chase Him. I Bite Him. Bad Man. He Tasty.

Zim

OBEY ME

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 6:41pm PST 
Article from the Huffington Post about a hilarious witness statement from a K9.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/02/18/west-midlands-poli ce-under-investigation-after-witness-statement-police-dog-pc-peach-t witter-facebook_n_2709715.html

Might need to remove spaces from the link.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Mar 22 12:26 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Any suggestions for a breed for a cat person?
Zim

OBEY ME

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 9:00am PST 
If you're interested in Greyhounds but want something smaller who is less likely to be dangerous with cats, may I suggest Italian Greyhounds? I've only ever met poorly bred ones, but overall they were both sweet, nice dogs and they've done well even though they're never walked, etc. They also don't seem to bother the rabbit in the house (my Shiba would have seen that rabbit cage as a puzzle toy with a tasty rabbit treat inside, I think).
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Feb 23 3:37 am

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.