Postings by Moose

GO!

(Page 1 of 69: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Other Barks & Woofs > SPAM, Poop, & Morlocks
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Wed Sep 10, '14 10:15pm PST 
Thank you everyone for the well wishes. I'm glad you all are still here and some piece of Dogster continues as it always has.
Just felt that a story of how awesome Moose was when this went down was something that I wanted to share.
[notify]
» There has since been 25 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Today 1:17 am

Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Mon Sep 8, '14 4:39pm PST 
Wish I had known to scroll down weeks ago. Or tried on my iphone.
So, here's another trip to the hospital because of my giant dog story. Moose sent me to the ER, but this time it was my fault and it ended up probably being a life saver. And I got to see what a true Saint Bernard does when someone is hurt.

Almost exactly a month ago I had Moose out where we usually go, throwing his toy to him. (He trails his 20ft lead when we go there).
I threw his toy, he runs after and the last 2 ft of the lead wraps around my ankle and before I could yell to him to stop, I'm flipped up in the air and I landed right on the back of my neck. Ya know when you hurt yourself and you just know it's bad? I knew it was bad. My first thought when I hit, was was I going to be able to feel my hands and feet. Luckily I could.
As I was on my hands and knees, rubbing my neck moaning like crazy in pain, Moose comes over to, of course, eat all of the fallen treats and as I continued to lie there in agony Moose laid down next to me.
At one point I thought he wanted to play and head wrestle, but he just lay there next to me. I was down for a few minutes and when I thought I could stand up and walk to the car, I didn't have to say anything to Moose. He just walked calmly at my side to the car.

I dropped Moose off at home and took myself to the ER where a CT scan showed a fractured vertebra in my neck and the scan also showed that the vertebra was being destroyed by cancer. I had no idea. No clues, no aches, no pains, no nothin'.
If I hadn't thrown that toy and not ignored where the long line was, I'd never know I had cancer. (Still weird using the C word when I'm talking about myself).
What was so weird was that I thought Moose was done chasing the toy and I normally have to play a game of tug and then throw the toy, but this time Moose came up to me wanting me to throw it. And I also ignored my protocol when it comes to keeping an eye on that long line. Whenever I throw a ball/toy for Moose when he's dragging that, I always, always, always kick that line in front of me so there's never a chance for it to wrap around my ankle. (Lessoned learned when it happened 2 times with Mikey). So, it seems as if it was totally meant to happen.

Three weeks ago I had surgery to get as much of the mass out, replace the vertebra and put in pins and rods in my neck. I have to be in a neck brace for 3 more weeks. No driving and no walking Moose. I'm going broke paying a dog walker to show up twice a day. (Unfortunately I don't have neighbors who can walk him).
And no snuggling with Moose. Our bedtime ritual of him laying across me with his giant head in the crook of my neck won't be happening for a long time. Poor guy.

I have radiation starting sometime in the next few weeks and luckily (so lucky) there's no other cancer in me. Nothing in the soft tissue or my bones, except in the vertebra in my neck. All of my blood work comes back normal and I'm as healthy as ever and besides this brace, I feel great.
They tell me that this type of cancer responds really well to radiation, so I hope they're right.

So, my Moose, in a round about way, saved my life. A true Saint Bernard.
[notify]
» There has since been 36 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Today 1:17 am

Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Sun Sep 7, '14 5:26pm PST 
Yea!!! I found you guys. I thought Dogster was gone for good. I don't know about what you all see on your computer screen, but my forums page, or any page for that matter is just text. I didn't bother scrolling all the way to the bottom of the page to see that that was where the forums were hiding.
Hi everyone. Boy have I missed you all. I normally wouldn't post in here, but I know this is a constant of regulars so I felt like I just wanted to touch base and see everyone.
Whew. I'm so relieved.
[notify]
» There has since been 40 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Today 1:17 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Auda is missing :(

Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Thu May 1, '14 10:15pm PST 
hughughughughug
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by Rocky, May 20 11:57 am

Dog Health > Funky smell

Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Wed Apr 16, '14 1:38pm PST 
Thanks for the input. I haven't taken him to the vet yet. But, the smell is now dissipating. I noticed that it wasn't as strong a few nights ago. It's still there, but it isn't making my house stink and I have to stick my nose right on him to smell it.
I'm wondering if it's the fish oil I was giving him that's caused it. Two-three months or more ago I started giving him salmon oil in his food at night. I ran out and kept forgetting to get more and about 3-4 weeks ago I got more but it's hit and miss when I remember to put it in his food. But, about the time I was remembering to put it in, was when the smell started to appear. It's now been about a week since I've put it in his food. Not sure if it's a connection or not.
I went through a 6oz bottle of the salmon oil without the stink the first go 'round, so I'm not sure.

What would the vet do to see if it's yeast infection? Skin scrape?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kali, Apr 16 3:23 pm

Dog Health > Funky smell
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Wed Apr 9, '14 9:36pm PST 
Moose has a smell emanating from him and it's making my whole house smell. The best I can describe the smell is it's kind of a sour, bitter, kind of metallic smell. It's coming from all over his body. It definitely isn't his anal glands.
Mikey would get this type of smell after he chewed on a RMB and it would go away after a few days. But Moose has had nothing different in his diet. Same food. Same treats. Same veggie/fruit snacks. Could be something he ate off the ground. What he usually eats from the ground on our walks are the pod/thistle things that drop from the trees and decorative yard bark. (not very much though. I've finally made inroads on stopping him from eating them).

I haven't given him a bath yet. I haven't been home in time to do it. (He doesn't get bathed in the tub. Only outside via garden hose). But I doubt it's a bathing issue because the smell is coming from his paws, belly, arm pits, etc. It seems to be oozing out of his skin.
I was hoping the smell would have gone away by now. He's had this funk for 3 or 4 days now.

Anyone's best guess at what could be causing it would be welcomed.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Kali, Apr 16 3:23 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Jack Russell Terriers!! Please help!

Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Mon Apr 7, '14 9:38pm PST 
wave Good to see you again Abner.

Like Jasper, I'd suggest nose work games. The simple way I do it with Moose is I toss teeny tiny treats all over the floor and as he's sniffing them out, I toss more in other areas. I can even do it while I'm watching t.v.. The other night I tossed treats for close to an hour. He seemed pretty tired from it.

If your friends father is up for it, maybe taking a nose work class would be fun for both of them. I loved taking them with Mikey.
The other thing he can do is train, train, train.
Also, food dispensing toys. When I feed Moose, a 1/3 of his kibble goes into a food dispensing toy. I also put wet food inside a Kong and shove a huge piece of apple in there and he works on that after he eats his kibble.

The dog must get out and run every day though. Hopefully he can fulfill that for the dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Kali, Apr 9 4:24 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Scruffy passed away

Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Wed Apr 2, '14 9:10pm PST 
hughughug I'm so sorry. hughughug
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Scruffy (R.I.P.), Apr 15 2:11 pm

Puppy Place > We got a puppy!

Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Thu Mar 27, '14 7:01pm PST 
So cute.cloud 9 Congrats. Have lots of fun. And post more pics if you can.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Apr 7 1:00 pm

Puppy Place > New Puppy!!
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Thu Mar 27, '14 6:58pm PST 
Congratulations. He is adorable.cloud 9

I already miss Moose being a puppy. Not that he isn't still incredibly puppy like in his behavior, but I find myself regularly looking at the videos I took of him when I first got him.
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by Hershey, May 30 6:34 pm

(Page 1 of 69: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.