GO!

Dog Health > A bit frustrated and sad.

Koda

Barked: Thu May 30, '13 2:02pm PST 
he is on both pheno and bromide and we do use the human pharmacy.

I guess then I am out of luck

Thanks for the replys

I probably won't reply any more unless I have some good news
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , May 31 4:49 pm

Koda

Barked: Thu May 30, '13 10:26am PST 
I had the test done about 4 months ago and I was not aware that it was mandatory or else no meds . I thought it was just lets check and see how he is doing once in a while and if he has more seizures that we would just raise the meds and so on so forth but I guess I was just naive.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , May 31 4:49 pm

Koda

Barked: Thu May 30, '13 7:15am PST 
They unfortunately do not I asked and there only option is care credit which i can not get I am be looking for another vet I hate how they handled this they did not tell me this until I called for another prescription of the pattasium bromide right now I am stressed beyond belief.

I am very much aware of why they want the test but if i cant afford it I would prefer to take the risk of giving him the meds instead of stopping cold turkey which is essentially is going to happen and it will hurt him .
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , May 31 4:49 pm

Koda

Barked: Wed May 29, '13 11:08am PST 
Koda has seizures and it has been affecting him but he has not had one in a month and a half relieved
however I am having another issue and I totally understand their point but right now, I do not care they basically told me that if I do not get koda blood work done they will not be renewing his prescription ( and they want the blood work to be done every 4 to 6 months) and I do not want to get into it but I just do not have the money at this point I feel like I am being pushed into a corner and have to euthanize him because without his meds he will have seizures that is a given and they will be bad I am stressed beyond belief I just needed to vent and hope for the best with coming up with the money
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , May 31 4:49 pm

Behavior & Training > worried about dog and baby

Koda

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 7:49pm PST 
Thanks for the response and examples right now we are not doing anything drastic I will admit it does scare me that the seizures are changing his personality so much. However I love him too much and am willing to work but if he starts to acts worse I can't choose him over my nephew.

Turning him over to a rescue we feel is not an option because of his issues and the fact that the rescues over here are stuffed to the gill with adoptable dogs and no fosters available He would not do well in a kennel situation. He deserves better than that ,If any rescue would even consider him which I doubt. He is currently eating 4 health and I will look into the rescue remedy.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jan 1 9:48 pm

Koda

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 6:17pm PST 
No we all live together sister, brother in law and nephew a long with the dogs. and will be for awhile still

He is never around the baby when he is having a seizure, and is for the most part;however we live in a small house so it becomes tricky when keeping them apart , at this point though he is not around the baby but then he is alone more because I just don't trust him anymore and it's not fair but I just fear with what if's and would never forgive myself if something did happen because I ignored the signals one time
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jan 1 9:48 pm

Koda

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 5:28pm PST 
First of all I want to say I love my dog very much and am not considering euthanasia at this point and I would never re home him I have a 3 year old mutt who is fearful and has a few medical issues allergies and seizures are just a couple to name.

Recently he has shown concerning behavior that I believe or connected to his seizures he has clusters and recently more have been breaking through the medication and after a vet visit and blood work in addition to taking phenobarbital he is going to start with potassium bromide.

Now to start with his issues the least important one's are he no longer listens and try s to escape the yard and wander, he looks at me sometimes like he does not know who I am ( this is happening a couple of weeks after his last cluster).
But the one that worries me the most is matt my 15 month old nephew koda is starting to give him looks and body language that worries me before his seizures became frequent he was just fine with matt crawling and running etc. and to note Matt is not rough with the dog at all I do not allow it and he is never alone with him.

At first I thought I was the only one worried about koda potentially biting Matt because he was too close to him but my sister brought it up to me as well, and we are worried eventually having to euthanize as his head deteriorates with every seizure he has.

I don't want to drop the ball early but I am worried about Matts safety , I have 3 other dogs and never had these concerns with them. I am asking for other people's opinions on what they would do in this situation.

Thanks if you read my long winded post

Very worried Liz
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Jan 1 9:48 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.