GO!

Raw Food Diet > Knowing how much to feed

Obi

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '13 8:11pm PST 
I have a 70 pound dog. He needs to gain at least 5 pounds. He is currently eating 2 cups of deer meat and 1 1/3 cups of honest kitchens preference a day. I am switching to raw in combination with an elimination diet. Can anyone recommend some good weight building food? He is eating more in quantity and when he was on kibble is this normal?
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Feb 22 4:03 pm

Raw Food Diet > Considering raw and elimination diet
Obi

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 6:31pm PST 
I have considered raw on and off for some time now. My dog has had some bad food allergies and was recently put on an elimination diet. I refused to do the Rx food so I have been making it. I have been using the honest kitchens preference along with cooked deer meat. I have the deer raw but have been putting it in the crock pot. I feel like all I am doing is killing the nutrients. He has done great on this diet. In two weeks I am going to try another protein. I am thinking beef.

Has any one used preference? Any thoughts on it?
Should I worry about cooking the deer meat since it is game meat?
What is the best way to switch to raw?
Any one feed raw to an allergy dog or dog with IBD?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Feb 6 7:14 am

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Home made elimination diet

Obi

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '13 2:04pm PST 
I am about to start an elimination diet with my dog. I really do not want to feed the Rx food. Right now I am thinking of doing honest kitchen's preference and venison. Has any one had any experiences with the elimination diet? Or the honest kitchen preference? Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Mar 6 3:15 pm

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Venison supplier

Obi

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '13 1:59pm PST 
I am looking for a place to buy fresh or frozen venison for my dog. Has anyone ordered it online before? Any other cost conscious ways to go about it?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Nov 30 9:12 am

Behavior & Training > About to do some serious training

Obi

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 7:29pm PST 
Impulse control. I would check out the book control unleashed. It has lots of fun games to improve implies control. Also take small steps. It is ok to make her wait and ok at this age to tell her no at times. I had this problem with my flat coated retriever. I was a bit of a push over too with him. Once I started setting clear cut boundaries and celebrated little bouts of attention things really started coming along.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Oct 6 1:09 pm

Behavior & Training > Tips? Best Lead For A Pulling Dog?
Obi

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 7:23pm PST 
Mini pinch collar along with distraction/training. Putting her in a harness will just give her something to lean into and build up tension on. The minute she reacts I would tell her no and turn directly around and start walking the other way, only turn around once she is calm. Also keep working on your heel. This is eventually what is best to use in sticky situations like this.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Oct 6 1:24 pm

Behavior & Training > I like swinging my butt out- improper heeling

Obi

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 7:11pm PST 
I agree heeling against a wall or help. You can also use something like a jump pole to move her butt over and act as a physical barrier. Also be conscience of your oh shoulder position. I had this problem until I realized he was reading my body language and doing EXACTLY what it told him.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Oct 7 10:26 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.