GO!

Choosing the Right Dog > Ridiculous things people assume about dogs.

Ch Zena

We don't- doodle!!!

Barked: Tue Mar 5, '13 2:47pm PST 
Hey, Toto isn't THAT big... standard says over 10 inches up to 15 inches, he's 15.5 inches!!! But, it does amaze me how you cannot tell size by their photos... here is Zena, she is just 9 1/2 inches... looks JUST like Toto's photo taken the same day, in the same snow storm.
[notify]
» There has since been 108 posts. Last posting by The Boys, May 5 10:07 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Ridiculous things people assume about dogs.
Ch Zena

We don't- doodle!!!

Barked: Sun Mar 3, '13 7:44am PST 
Sumo, everyone around here INSISTS that Zena is Toto's "puppy". Zena is a tiny toy, Toto is a large mini, and they are almost the same age with almost the same amount of gray muzzle.
[notify]
» There has since been 129 posts. Last posting by The Boys, May 5 10:07 pm

Behavior & Training > Maybe we aren't the right home for her :-(

Ch Zena

We don't- doodle!!!

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 3:44pm PST 
I will also post here on the opposite side of many of you. I do agree dogs need months or more to adjust to a new home, BUT... in most cases you have an inkling in the first week or two whether this is the dog for you.
I got Zena one year ago, and I can honestly say, I am NOT the right home for her. I was pretty sure this was true within the first few weeks, but I did not have the option of returning her.
Let me say... Zena THINKS she is in the right home so all is well, BUT... she would be much better suited as an only companion to an older couple or an older single person. She absolutely adores me, does have separation anxiety away from me, BUT here she must share me with 8 or more other dogs which she doesn't do well. All my dogs (except Beanie) are social butterflies and Zena is not. She doesn't like change, she wants things to constantly remain the same. 8 or more dogs IS constant change.
She would prefer to only have me as the person in her life...but because of my lifestyle and occupation, she MUST deal with other people on a pretty constant basis which she HATES. She tolerates the other dogs and does sometimes play with them, but they are definitely NOT her thing. I take my dogs everywhere...camping kayaking, etc., and she doesn't care for that stuff at all.
I can honestly state that had the option been there to return her to the rescue it would have been better for both her AND me. Furthermore, I could have provided that rescue with way, way more helpful placement information about her after just having her here for 10 days/2 weeks so her next placement would have been more to her liking, I think.
Rest assured, she DOES love me and is fine here, but should that perfect home come along I will readily place her there, BUT with a return option as well.
[notify]
» There has since been 67 posts. Last posting by Stella, Feb 19 10:42 pm

Other Barks & Woofs > SPAM, Poop, & Morlocks

Ch Zena

We don't- doodle!!!

Barked: Thu Sep 13, '12 11:48am PST 
It does make me a bit anxious about why they were so happy to get her moved out!!! But, she's been here almost nine months and these are the first issues, maybe it's taken her this long to get comfy here???
I do know that EVERYONE was wound up because a chicken was up on THEIR fence and I was in the chicken pen, shooing it back down. That can start them!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 9956 posts. Last posting by Sonja, Today 4:57 pm

Small Dogs > The dog won't shut up

Ch Zena

We don't- doodle!!!

Barked: Sun Jul 22, '12 6:14am PST 
Reading the posts by the OP, I can actually feel the intense dislike for this dog. If I can feel this on an internet post, most likely the poor dog is getting these vibes in a major way, and excessive barking can be a way of reacting to this stress.
Zena is a case in point. She is a toy poodle, and was rehomed due in part to constant barking. Her constant barking was an attempt to gain some attention, and was the only way she knew to try and appease an owner who didn't like her and didn't want her.
She has been with me since January and her barking is almost nonexistant now. She still alert barks, but will stop instantly when whatever she is barking at is acknowledged.
The change is she is now in a home where she is loved and not getting bad vibes and she is not constantly being yelled at for the barking.
I would suspect this dog would be much happier being rehomed.
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Tuna, Nov 17 9:19 pm

Other Barks & Woofs > SPAM, Poop, & Morlocks
Ch Zena

We don't- doodle!!!

Barked: Sat Mar 31, '12 2:10pm PST 
I was working down in my garden today...put the fish back into the outdoor pond and trimmed some bushes and raked a tiny bit.
Came inside, sat down for a break and felt things walking up my shoulder. I reached under my shirt and picked out TWO ticks!!! Sadly, in my shock, I dropped them and now they are somewhere loose in my house.
It was just a few years ago when we did not EVER find ticks up here...now you can't even be outside without them. Wish my Guinea keets were older!!!!!
Written by Zena, the Warrior Princess, since Toto is visiting his kid again this weekend. I feel like he is a part time dog here now, BOL!
[notify]
» There has since been 12856 posts. Last posting by Sonja, Today 4:57 pm

Behavior & Training > Cookie Loses It...

Ch Zena

We don't- doodle!!!

Barked: Thu Mar 29, '12 2:20pm PST 
I sent Tonya (my bather/brusher), over to my house to get Zena today for a bath. Tonya didn't announce herself, just opened the crate and grabbed Zena and Zena bit her finger!!! We ALL know why that happened, so......it's considered a no fault for Zena!!! No blood shed anyway, and Tonya dropped her on the floor when she grabbed her but Zena still let her pick her up and then bathe her with no issues.
Saturday I sent a 12 year old over to get her and she had NO issues with her at all BECAUSE the girl announced herself and her intentions prior to opening the crate.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Savannah Blue Belle, Apr 3 6:19 am

Puppy Place > Concerned about the breed of my "supposed" Min Pin

Ch Zena

We don't- doodle!!!

Barked: Wed Mar 7, '12 2:06pm PST 
Grace said, "My sister has a min pin-poodle mix and she takes after the min pin physically. She has a very broad chest and shoulders."
Min pins should NOT have broad chests and shoulders. They should correctly be NARROWER than a poodle.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Happy, Mar 18 10:14 pm

Behavior & Training > Diapers as a training tool??

Ch Zena

We don't- doodle!!!

Barked: Tue Feb 7, '12 12:55pm PST 
My toy poodles are either rescues or dogs that were kept in expens too, too long as show dogs. As a result, they are tough.
I find the ONLY thing that works here is using confinement to the room I am in via baby gates/doors. I have TWO archways in this 200+ yo house so I found extra, extra long baby gates for them. Every single room has a baby gate or a closed doorway so there is never any opportunity to sneak off and do something when I am not watching.
As long as the dogs are in the room I am in all is well. IF anyone goes to squat, I immediately make my AHHH noise and hustle them outside.
IF I am not available to watch and supervise they are either crated OR outside in good weather.
For a small dog, going into the next room is like going half a block away to do their business so they find it very easy to just step around the corner and go, if given the chance. I'd rather live with baby gates, (Which are easily put away if the dogs are crated/outside), than give my guys the opportunity to sneak away and leave me a hershey kiss or some lemonade.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Lucille, Feb 9 12:07 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.