Postings by Willie

GO!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

Behavior & Training > My dog isn't terribly bright?
Willie

Furever Baby

Barked: Tue Jan 14, '14 5:27pm PST 
Willie certainly isn't the sharpest tack in the box also. He is seven now and seemed to just kinda matured more at 5 yrs. He does not like his paws wet, cold or dirty and just hates the rain, wind and cold. He is extremely wimpy - just the total opposite from his sister. Willie is also very very lazy, has his own bunky in our camping trailer, his own lazy boy recliner and numerous pet beds. Willie is also the biggest love, huggy bug. Tricks are also beneath him, but he will sit for his supper/breakfast. He does not like going for walks and feels he does not need a collar or leash according to his treaty rights born on an indian reservation.

Willie is the best dog in the world!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Willie, Jan 14 5:27 pm

Raw Food Diet > charcoal in raw dogfood
Willie

Furever Baby

Barked: Wed Jan 8, '14 11:22am PST 
Yes they put charcoal in meat so it would not mistakenly end up in the human food chain. I only get human grade food for my puppies.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Willie, Jan 8 11:22 am

Choosing the Right Dog > This breed is for "experienced dog owners only"?

Willie

Furever Baby

Barked: Wed Jan 8, '14 7:13am PST 
Most of the purebred breeds do have certain qualities ingrained in them through their genetics (what they were bred to do). These dogs need to be able to do what they were bred for - so they need some time of job. Huskies, Border Collies etc - tons of exercise otherwise you may be replacing and lot of furniture and home renovations. German Shepherds and breeds like them, needs an owner that has some knowledge of behavior training, socialization, setting limits and pack leader, otherwise you will have an unruly dog that could end being dangerous.

From my own experience I find that you can get a mixed dog with the best of both worlds. Willie is Shepherd and Lab (plus some others) and is so laid back and easy going. He is basically a couch dog - hates the cold, rain, hard floors, loves food of any kind. So he does not like any exercise and is always on a diet. Seela on the other hand was a rescue for experienced German Shepherd owners. I accept and love her as is, but I cannot let her come into contact with people other than our household. She cannot be let off her leash unless it is in a fenced yard. She has bitten (grabbed but no skin broken). I believe she was a trained PPD gone wrong and then stuffed in a dirty pen for 4 yrs. I could not imagine if anyone else had taken her - she could have done some serious damage and would probably be put down already (she was so close with me).

If I see a dog from a breed rescue that says "experienced dog owners only" I would expect certain challenges with that dog and would need to have the knowledge/experience to successfully raise that dog. These rescues certainly do not want dogs returned, they want to get it right the first time on adoption.

Anyone living in Alberta, HART (Humane Animal Rescue Team) has lots of puppies from Hobbema Reservation. That is where I adopted Willie. The puppies look so much like him and he is the best rescue I could have.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Scruffy (RIP), Jan 15 11:24 am

Puppy Place > Puppy with Coyote...?

Willie

Furever Baby

Barked: Sat Dec 28, '13 12:44pm PST 
One thing I must say, Zeea is way too cute. Living in Alberta for 30 years on acreages, I certainly have had many encounters with coyotes. I had heard that coyotes certainly will breed with dogs, but it would have to be a female dog running around in heat that may have a lone male coyote get her. A female in heat running around on an indian reserve can have several sires in the same litter. My hubby thinks there is coyote somewhere in Willie (from the Hobemma reserve). When he howls he certainly sounds like a coyote - none of my other dogs have come close to the high pitch howl that he makes. So, you never know what you get when adopting a puppy from a reserve. I am glad Willie turned out to be such a good dog. It is so sad what some of these dogs have to endure on some of these reservations. I'm glad Zeea has found a good home.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Zeea, Dec 28 8:49 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Dog for Senior

Willie

Furever Baby

Barked: Sun Dec 22, '13 7:59am PST 
Thanks Sabi's mom. I am glad to hear about the asthma may not be a big concern. I am going to talk to my auntie and she if she would like to volunteer, foster or just bring home a new furry baby. I feel so excited, just like getting a puppy myself. I was planning a visit to Vancouver (awaiting surgery first) in the spring so I would help her the first few weeks. I will also check all the rescues in BC for small dogs. They seem to be in quite demand the little ones.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Ace, Dec 29 7:20 am

Dog Health > Wat's the weirdest thing that has happened to your dog?
Willie

Furever Baby

Barked: Sat Dec 21, '13 9:57pm PST 
Willie likes meeting new friends but this one was black with a white stripe down the back. Yes, we have a family of skunks living on the property next to us and they walk at the end of our yard. Well, Willie was determined to meet this new friend and greeted it like any other dog - sniffing the behind. His nose was right up the skunks behind then a steady thick white stream covered his whole face. His poor eyes must have really stung and he was yelping and rolling around on the grass. After getting bathed in peroxide and baking soda he had to sleep outside in his crate for a couple of nights.

Now, you would think he would have learned his lesson, but no. He decided he wanted again to make friends with the skunk a few months later. Of course he didn't listen when I tried to call him back and ended up with the same results again.

Another time just after we got Willie (five months old) we were walking through our property and up our driveway was the resident moose that wintered in our bush. Willie ran right up to it barking - of course we were calling him back but he ignored us. When he realized the moose was so big and we were not behind him, he turned around with this look of horror and ran back to us. Thankfully, the moose just ignored him.

Willie just picks the wrong animals to make friends with. Of course, when we are off our property he is leashed - don't need him to make friends with a Mr. Bear.
Willie is very cute and cuddly but not the smartest puppy on the block.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Willie, Dec 21 9:57 pm

Dog Health > anal sac rupture?

Willie

Furever Baby

Barked: Wed Dec 4, '13 7:07am PST 
I would say this is an anal gland rupture. These are very painful and can get so infected. You have to keep him from licking and ensure it keeps clean. If it gets out of hand you can be looking at surgery - which is not good. Are you going for a follow up, as this looks pretty infected.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Toto, CD, RN, CGC, Dec 4 9:27 am

Dog Health > anal sac rupture?

Willie

Furever Baby

Barked: Tue Dec 3, '13 10:42pm PST 
The link shows an error so I cannot see the picture. A good way to keep the cone on is to put a snap collar through the slots to keep it on her neck. Then you can take in off and put it on without any hassle.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Toto, CD, RN, CGC, Dec 4 9:27 am

Dog Health > Anal gland extraction for dummies

Willie

Furever Baby

Barked: Thu Nov 28, '13 7:16am PST 
I know what you mean by jinxing something. I was bragging that Willie was six years older earlier and NEVER has any illnesses or injuries. A month later he had to have TPLO surgery then an anal gland rupture and infection in the other and then to top it off, he got his tail caught in the screen door and had two inches chopped off (really gross).

I have an exceptional vet, she has her own clinic and has more advanced equipment than our local people hospital. She insisted on adding pumpkin to his daily food. Willie has not had a problem since (3 months) with his anal glands. I know little dogs usually had anal glad compaction, but never heard bigger dogs, so this really threw me for a loop. Also, his poops have always been good (not runny) and I feed my dogs really good food.

Anyway, I hope Moose does not have a relapse on his glands. I do suggest adding some pumpkin to this diet. It is really cheap if you buy raw pumpkin and freeze in serving portions.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Bunny, Nov 29 2:51 am

Dog Health > anal gland rupture
Willie

Furever Baby

Barked: Sat Nov 23, '13 4:19pm PST 
Willie has always had good poop - cannot even remember when he had loose stools. He is already on an excellent dog food and I supplement with fish, chicken, turkey and veges. So I was really surprised how his anal glands compacted. Since the pumpkin has been introduced Willie's anal glands have been good.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Princesse Lily CGN, Nov 24 4:06 pm

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.