GO!

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  

Grooming > Dog's fur gets dirty VERY easily, don't want to bathe him too often. Suggestions?
Bella

More Food! More,- more, more- please!

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '12 8:23am PST 
I guess I should also say that you should only use dog shampoo. I dont know what you use, but some people think human shampoo is ok and its possible that it can irritate a dogs skin. Forgive me if you knew that. Follow up with conditioner. There are some breeds that shouldnt be bathed frequently, but I dont think a beagle is one of them.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Apr 3 4:37 pm

Grooming > Dog's fur gets dirty VERY easily, don't want to bathe him too often. Suggestions?
Bella

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '12 8:18am PST 
Its quite possible that your dog is itchy because you're not bathing ENOUGH. I'm not sure what you mean by "too often", but in general you can bathe a beagle every other week (my gf shows a beagle and she gets a bath every week). A good quality, moisturizing shampoo is important. It possible that the dust/dirt from playing is near his skin and causing the scratching. When you wipe him down, what do you use? Some of those wipes are very drying to shorter haired breeds. Generally, using a good slicker brush should remove a lot of that as well. Also - diet can play a role in how well his skin reacts to dirt. If thats not the concern then frequent brushing after play and bi-weekly baths are a good bet.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Apr 3 4:37 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > pitbulls are not bad dogs

Bella

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '12 7:53am PST 
There are a TON of responsible pit bull breeders. What a ridiculous statement. I find more issues with so called "responsible" breeders making these designer dogs, breeding out long ingrained traits, and changing up what the breed is. THATS not a responsible breeder. Just like all these Lab breeders that swear up one side and down the other that their "silver" labs are great dogs and will one day be recognized by AKC. No...they wont. Those "responsible" breeders took a genetic DEFECT that they felt looked cool and continued to breed it for a LOOK. Its causing health problems in the breed. Its diluting the breed. AKC wont register your precious "silver" lab as anything but CHOCOLATE. Responsible...right As Mulder said... you can't think you can selectively breed out unwanted traits without potentially losing something else. As I said before - I dont have a pit but love the breed. I know several pit owners and breeders. They are all responsible IMO and would never dream of trying to breed anything but quality, loving dogs. Do they choose to only breed dogs that are of the best temperment? Yes. But that doesnt mean they are trying to weed out DA.
[notify]
» There has since been 38 posts. Last posting by , Apr 9 9:30 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > pitbulls are not bad dogs

Bella

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '12 7:23am PST 
Posting in an open forum rarely yields the results that the OP hopes for. No matter what the topic, what site, etc...as long as there are people that have varied opinions, backgrounds, experiences and ideals you're going to have issues. Back and forths stating the same thing over and over on the internet arent going to change opinions. Hopefully it gives people something to think about but rarely will it change minds. Posting in relative anonymity gives folks a huge sense of bravado. At least for the most part people here are relatively respectful. Do I have a point? No...lol. But I did want to throw in kind of an "outsiders" perspective to the mix. When I say outsider, I mean that I dont own a pit nor have I ever. But I'm not afraid of them. I dont shy away from them. I will purposely approach one to show that not everyone is like that. Will I be cautious? Of course...but I strongly disagree with the poster that said there are far more people doing harm to the breed than there are good. That more people are breeding them for fighting than are breeding them as the great dogs they have the ability to be. I live very near Chicago where there is a high incidence of pit "issues" and even here there are far more responsible breeders than problem breeders. Here the media loves painting pits as "bad". You never see them highlight the positives. For example, just the week a man had his nose bitten off, literally, by a pit bull. Read the article here. http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=8605264

Th e victim of the attack knows the breed. He knows this was unfortunate. Hes not screaming for the dog to be put down. It just shows that with proper information, not everyone is fearful of pits. Its a sad story and one that could have ANY breed inserted. I could give countless anecdotes about personal friends that had issues involving other breeds. But to counter pit terror, I will say that my dear friends daughter had to undergo extensive facial surgery done by damage from their family pet. This dog had always been loving, protective, came from the highest quality breeder...the dog was a lab. It happens. DA, no DA. It can happen anywhere, anytime, any dog. And it happens a lot more with other breeds and we just dont hear about it because the media isnt all about painting labs as vicious. I've also had a horrific experience with Akitas. Our past neighbors had to poorly raised and trained Akitas. They were people aggressive AND dog aggresive. They were constantly loose. I called AC numerous times. When Buffy was a pup I was sitting in the yard in my front when one of them came from out of nowhere, grabbed her by the neck and took off with her. Had I not been outside to stop it, I'm sure she would have been killed. Do I now hate Akitas? No. I hate THAT Akita. I will remain cautious of Akitas but I'm not going to shun them because of a bad owner.

I took Bella to the vet yesterday. Our vet is inside a pet store. I was waiting near the scale when the "nurse" said you may want to move theres a big dog coming. I was like...ok. Sure. So I moved over. It was an intact, male pit. Big guy. With a muzzle. And a prong collar. The nurse was freaking out because Bella was within a few feet. I looked to the owner and he shyly smiled. He weighed the dog and and both Bella and the pit were excitedly checking each other out. Did I freak out? No. Did I keep my distance? Enough until I could gauge what was going on. Marco, the pit, was just a year. He was big, excitable,and under control. The muzzle? His GFs idea to make people less afraid. Actually made me more afraid because I assumed it meant he may have bitten. Nope...just an uninformed GF that couldnt be swayed to go out in public with a pit bull. In the exam room the nurse was overly apologetic and saying how she hated pits. Really? Whatever. So my rambling point is this...Not everyone is afraid of your dog. Not everyone will make biased judgements based on looks or equipment. Be careful when painting with a broad brush because you will undoubtedly cover up some of the finer details.
[notify]
» There has since been 41 posts. Last posting by , Apr 9 9:30 pm

Dog Health > Are internal Flea Treatments Poison for dogs?

Bella

Barked: Fri Mar 16, '12 6:42am PST 
My Buffy is very sensitive those so called "natural remedies". She got extremely sick.Just because you've had success doesnt mean its right for everyone. My mother never gave her dog heartworm preventive and she never not got heart worms. By your logic, no one should give heartworm preventative. I live in in area infested with fleas and ticks. So far the meds they are on have worked great and they are all healthy. What works for one, does not work for all.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Mar 16 10:48 am

Dog Health > Multiple squats for peeing
Bella

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '12 10:04am PST 
So Bella will squat several times outside to pee. And it appears there is a decent amount each time right up until the 3rd, sometimes 4th one. More frustrating is that she will then occasionally do it in the house shortly after being out. She is not fully house trained yet but does a decent job. Could this be a possible bladder infection? The urine looks normal in color. I've never experienced this. shrug She is scheduled to go to the vet in a week and a half... and a spay coming up. Thoughts?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Mar 15 3:59 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Opinions on what breed my rescue off the side of the road is

Bella

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '12 9:06am PST 
I think she looks a lot like a Basenji mix. The ears, size,face...very much. The description of it being hard to get her wet sounds lab-like. I have the hardest time with my 2! How vocal is she? does she bark a lot? Since basenjis dont really bark and labs love it, it would be an interesting benchmark to say the least . Google some pics and see what you think. I even found a website for "Labrasenjis" so its possible! Whatever she is - she was a great discovery!
[notify]
» There has since been 37 posts. Last posting by , Apr 8 12:21 pm

Raw Food Diet > Switch to once a day feeding?

Bella

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '12 7:08pm PST 
Maybe I dont do enough reading, but I have never read anywhere that once a day is a better alternative to 2x a day. Is there a reason she cant eat in the a.m. and then again at dinner time? My dogs have always had 3 meals a day until they were around 1 and then 2 meals a day. In the 20+ years I have had dogs, every vet has suggested 2x a day. If it is absolute necessity that you do this, gradually decrease the meal you're going to eliminate while increasing the one you're keeping by equal portions. That way it may not seem as obvious. I doubt it - but its possible.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Mar 14 2:24 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > Is refusing to treat dyspnea/heart disease justifiable as neglect/abuse?

Bella

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '12 12:14pm PST 
From what is described, this is not merely a matter of someone letting a pet die a "natural" death. If the cat cannot breath other than how described that is cruel. The cat is clearly suffering given the description. Given that we have the option to humanely euthanize our pets when they are in pain or suffering I take offense with those that let their pets die a "natural" death through pain and suffering just so they dont have to deal with it. Whether it is by law animal abuse or not is meaningless to me - for me - thats abuse. There could be something as simple as a fluid build up that could be treated with medication - she will never know because she appears too self centered to care enough. Its not ALWAYS bad news for the animal - some things are simple - some are not. For your sister to refuse to see this...wrong, wrong, wrong. Call around and see if you can find a vet that will work with a payment plan. Present her these options. Tell her to AT LEAST get a diagnosis and see if there is something low cost or symptom reducing that can be done to make the cat more comfortable. Just because a vet tells her the cat should be put down does NOT mean she has to. But turning a blind eye and hoping it goes away? Ridiculous. After all that - she still doesnt comply and you feel her cat is suffering and you have exhausted all other avenues...call animal control and make an anonymous call. She may be presented with the option to sign the animal over. For someone to "disown" a family member for that...well they may have had some issues to begin with. Sure - I would be mad at first, but I certainly would get over it. I would never turn my back on family...never.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Mar 27 6:07 pm

Dog Health > Spay an older dog?
Bella

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '12 10:32am PST 
I would not assume that just because shes 7 shes not at risk for common cancer. She most certainly can still get them - and as others have said - there are other health concerns. Dogs are remarkably resilient and although you hate to she her "suffer" it will better for her in the long run. Spays are usually relatively easy to bounce back from. It would also be a good time for them to give her a good teeth cleaning! At least at 7 shes still healthy and young enough to do well under anesthesia vs 3/4 years down the road when she might not fare as well in an emergency. Also someone mentioned the adoption contract. Typically when you adopt an adult dog you have to agree to have them spayed. While the heartworm may have prevented that in a timely matter it might be time now. Best wishes!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Mar 14 2:00 pm

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.