Postings by Luke

GO!

(Page 1 of 21: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Will only go potty in our backyard
Luke

I came, I saw, I- chewed.

Barked: Mon Jul 9, '12 3:43pm PST 
Ooooh, that's a good idea, Jewel! I'm going to try that. When you mentioned that he may not know it's okay to go potty elsewhere, it got me to thinking back to when we brought him home. He would eat his poop and he would hide in the corner of the yard to pee. If anyone came within 20 feet of him, he would stop and walk off with his head hanging down and his tail between his legs. I'm wondering if he used to get in trouble for going potty in the "wrong" place.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Turner - Gone Too Soon, Jul 9 7:47 pm

Luke

Barked: Mon Jul 9, '12 10:33am PST 
Thanks! Good to know. It's not a huge issue on a day-to-day basis but it's something i have to keep in mind for family vacations. At least he stopped eating his poop. That was a day to celebrate! laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Turner - Gone Too Soon, Jul 9 7:47 pm

Luke

Barked: Mon Jul 9, '12 10:02am PST 
Is this normal? Doesn't matter how long of a walk we take, he's never peed/pooped anywhere other than our backyard. We took him on a 14 hour road trip and stopped ever hour to try to get him to pee. He only went once. When we got to NYC, I took him to Central Park every two hours or so and we couldn't get him to pee either. He eventually had an accident later on that night in my parents' apartment. He stayed with my uncle for 2 days and held it for over 24 hours and eventually peed on his kitchen floor. My uncle is a dog trainer and told me to crate him until it was time for him to go potty and then take him out for a walk. I tried that but he holds it for so long that I'm afraid it's hurting him. He just won't go anywhere other than our yard. Is this something they outgrow? I read this might be a submissive thing?
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Turner - Gone Too Soon, Jul 9 7:47 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Some People should not have dogs!!

Luke

Barked: Mon Jul 9, '12 7:40am PST 
Struggling with this right now. I see a neighbor has yet ANOTHER dog. She gets depressed and runs out to get an animal. It lasts a little while and then it's gone. She doesn't take them to a vet. She doesn't spay/neuter. She tried get me to take a kitten when her cat got pregnant. Turns out she never took the cat to the vet, the entire litter died, the mama got terribly sick and they dumped her somewhere to die. I hope this new dog lasts because I just might wind up with a second dog if she decides she doesn't want him. frown
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Angel, Jul 16 7:45 pm

Behavior & Training > Fear or excited?

Luke

Barked: Wed Mar 21, '12 6:14pm PST 
Thanks! That was sort of what I was thinking. I was going to keep him occupied with some high value treat shoved in his Kong and see if that worked.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Luke, Mar 21 6:14 pm

Behavior & Training > Fear or excited?
Luke

Barked: Wed Mar 21, '12 10:41am PST 
Luke has been doing great with everything. Spring is here and the kids have been playing out in the yard and I've had very minor issues. But when they dragged out their motorized Power Wheels jeep, Luke went crazy. I expected him to react the same way he did to the lawn mower and the vacuum - follow it around, maybe bark at it, dart around. But he took off, almost breaking some of my fingers that got tangled in the leash, reared up, somehow got out of his collar, and lunged at the thing. He grabbed my son by his sleeve and tried to pull him clear out of the jeep. I grabbed my son before he hit the concrete head first. My husband grabbed Luke and brought him back inside for a time out. We tried again a few days later - this time in our backyard. First I brought the jeep out back and just let him explore it with no one in it. Fine. Then my daughter sat in it. Fine. Then she pushed the pedal and he went bonkers again - this time my husband had him on a choke chain and leash while I stood guard by my daughter. He tried to bite the wheels and the bumper while making a weird whining noise. It wasn't barking or growling - it was almost like crying.

Any idea on how to desensitize him to this? I'm thinking I might need to just stand in the backyard with a broom handle and push the pedal to get him to realize this isn't a threat to the kids. All his reaction seemed to be that the kids were in danger and he was trying to get them away from the jeep. My kids ride this thing all summer so he needs to get over it and I know he can do it, but I'm not sure how I can help him.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Luke, Mar 21 6:14 pm

Dogs and a Clean Home > Carpet -911 - HELP

Luke

Barked: Sat Feb 25, '12 3:51pm PST 
I feel your pain! We rent a house with cream colored carpeting and it looks gross pretty quickly with 2 preschoolers and a dog running in and out all day. We used to rent a Rug Doctor and used the Bissell Cleaner for pet odors. One bad things about those rentals is that they do leave a lot of yucky soap in the rug, which actually attracts dirt so you might want to do it a second or third time without any solution. To be honest though, if you are only renting a room, plenty of carpet cleaning places will do a room for less than it costs to rent a machine and buy your own solution. I can have my entire downstairs of the house done for $60.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Bailey, Mar 9 7:30 pm

Grooming > Furminator?

Luke

Barked: Sat Feb 25, '12 6:19am PST 
I am sooooo buying one of these today. Funny that I didn't notice him shedding the first month we had him but now, holy cow.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Fritz, Feb 25 8:11 am

Behavior & Training > Zoomies!

Luke

Barked: Sat Feb 25, '12 5:56am PST 
Luke does them all the time but he's only 8 months old. I don't mind them anymore since he stopped launching himself at me when he passed by. As long as he's not tackling me, I say zoomie away.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Farley, Feb 26 2:32 pm

Grooming > Furminator?
Luke

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 9:12am PST 
Thanks! I think I might try it! I spent an hour vacuuming the couches and the cushions this weekend. LOL!
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Fritz, Feb 25 8:11 am

(Page 1 of 21: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.