Postings by Maya

GO!

Raw Food Diet > Is turkey okay?

Maya

Barked: Wed May 16, '12 5:56pm PST 
Turkey is great, but it can be hard to find any that isn't enhanced at a decent price.

Look at the nutritional label, if it has more than 100 mg of sodium per 4 oz serving, it has been injected with something containing a bunch of salt and in no good for dogs, or really us for that matter.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Tessa Sue~*In loving memory*~, May 17 8:19 am

Raw Food Diet > Switching my 7 year old dog to raw food
Maya

Barked: Sat May 12, '12 11:10am PST 
I've found the poop time will vary. With her evening meal, sometimes she will poop a couple hours later other times not until the next morning.

I think since there isn't a huge backlog of unprocessed grains waiting to be pooped out, things kinda move at the dogs pace. I have noticed a few times that a small meal will kinda "move along" a previous meal leading to a quick after dinner poop. Activity like a walk or the dog park will also trigger a poop sometimes, but not always.

I also wanted to comment about your price challenge with living in a big city. While the regular grocers will be a bit more expensive, you should have a number of ethnic markets around. Asian and Mexican grocers are great for cheap RMBs and sometimes organs. You probably have a raw feeding coop near you also, but that will pretty much require a freezer due to the quantities you will be buying.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , May 12 9:55 pm

Raw Food Diet > Too much/Too little Offal?

Maya

Barked: Sat May 12, '12 8:04am PST 
400 grams a day = 2800 grams per week.

Liver should be 5% of intake, thus 140 grams per week.

Other secreting organs should eventually be 5% also, or 140 grams.

So 280 grams (140 liver, 140 other) of offal per week, or 70 (35 liver, 35 other) grams every other day.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Zack, May 13 10:30 am

Behavior & Training > What do you dogs do when they think it's time to eat?

Maya

Barked: Mon Apr 16, '12 5:49pm PST 
Maya sits down in front of and barks at the fridge. dog
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by NTD Chance *Adopted!*, Apr 21 1:13 pm

Puppy Place > Countdown to SPAY MAYA is on...

Maya

Barked: Fri Apr 6, '12 11:15am PST 
I was excited to get it done. I knew she would be spayed, so I was happy to have it done and over with. No more trips to the vet for like a year and no worries about staying away from the dog park while in heat or even worse an oops litter.

She stayed overnight after the surgery and was just perfect when she got home. She didn't lick the incision once and took it easy for about 5 days. Its been a bit over a month now and the shaved belly is the only sign that anything happened.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by *MAYA*, Apr 17 8:03 pm

Saint Bernard > How much did your St Bernard weigh at 8 weeks?
Maya

Barked: Wed Apr 4, '12 2:01pm PST 
Please, do NOT force your puppy to get big. They will get to the size they get to based on genetics, trying to force them to gain weight will only cause terrible pain and suffering in their later years. Extra weight when they are young will put extra weight on growing bones and joints leading to terrible pain in later years.

Your Saints will not be full grown until at least 24 months. Please, for their sake, do not try and speed that up.
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by Zeus, Oct 28 2:54 pm

Puppy Place > Giant breed puppy tips? Collar or harness?

Maya

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '12 8:17am PST 
I asked my vet about walking my St Bernard mix puppy and he stressed walking surface more so than length. As long as she was walking on grass or dirt, walks up to an hour in length were said to be ok.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Oscar, Mar 14 11:57 am

Raw Food Diet > So, what's in your food bowl today!!

Maya

Barked: Thu Dec 29, '11 8:49am PST 
Morning: chicken quarter
Afternoon: beef heart, sardine, chicken liver, egg, pork rib
Evening: chicken quarter
[notify]
» There has since been 209 posts. Last posting by Buster, Jul 27 5:49 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.