Postings by Pearl

GO!

Local Tips, Playdates & Meetups > dog parks in Toronto

Pearl

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 8:07pm PST 
Hello,

Are there a lot of well fenced in off leash dog parks in toronto? or the GTA?
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Cobain ADC, SGDC, CGN, Feb 15 3:52 am

Shiba Inu > Shiba Owners Recommendations
Pearl

Barked: Sun Apr 15, '12 9:36pm PST 
buy a furminator brush to cut down on shedding, which will happen anyway.

buy a martingale collar

make friends with other shiba owners. They'll understand.

take lots of pictures, shibas are hi-larious.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Tetsuya, Jan 20 10:11 pm

Raw Food Diet > Thank you Raw& Dogster!!!

Pearl

Barked: Sun Feb 26, '12 8:45pm PST 
Yup. Raw is pretty awesome, we were thinking about going to kibble but didn't. Our pups coat sparkles like fresh snow and she plays like a little genius.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Mr. Jake the Beagle, Feb 26 10:52 pm

Dog Health > red extra eyeline

Pearl

Barked: Sat Feb 25, '12 9:49pm PST 
Hello Dogsters,

I've got a strange flap on the inside of my eye and I'm wondering if anyone else has it too. This is a pretty good photo of it right here.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/G-QJbLGs3KzjDvZ2HYO0bdMTjN ZETYmyPJy0liipFm0feat=directlink

Thanks of checking,
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Pearl, Feb 25 9:49 pm

Shiba Inu > New Shiba Training Plan

Pearl

Barked: Sun Feb 12, '12 9:31pm PST 
Yeah, holding the mouth is being phased out, as previously mentioned. I was just getting good at it, even held her mouth my teeth gently once today and she sat nicely immediately.

There were actually a few things she was allergic to and we've probably eliminated all of them. The headache might have been making her a bit grumpy.

Exercise, off leash time, and having her politely obey house guests is helping too, this weekend she's been a dream. She only growled when I mistakenly teased her while giving back her pork chewing twist.

So, she's still got the ghost of 'grumpy gus' inside here so she's getting better.

She didn't come from a puppy mill, wasn't the runt of the litter but was very quiet.

I think there is something to the breed observation, gotta decide what to do differently now. I'll read up on Husky as well.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Pearl, Feb 12 9:31 pm

Dog Health > Frontline vs. Revolution
Pearl

Barked: Sun Feb 12, '12 8:52pm PST 
I'm trying to decide between the two for a 7 month old shiba inu living in the pacific northwest.

Thanks,
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Honey, Feb 13 7:50 am

Shiba Inu > New Shiba Training Plan

Pearl

Barked: Thu Feb 9, '12 9:49pm PST 
Okay, My shiba / mini husky mix has been a handful. I'm going to post my pitfalls and solutions in the hopes that others might learn from them, or at least tell me if I'm waaay off base.

Since we picked her up at 2 months, she's always been food possessive making matters worse after she eats she freaks out like this guy. Cesar just did a video about it and you can find it here.

http://t.co/eEQ1dKH1

We're working towards being able to get her to back off her off her food and she's getting better, slowly. I just wish I didn't try handfeeding her from months 3 - 6. That was crazy!

2) She's mouthy and play bitey, but if we dominate her she hasn't given in since 3 months ago. Now when she gets bitey and doesn't stop we've got a kennel set up in a dark separate room so she can calm down for a minute or two and we let her out. This is working well, I think. If she acts up again, she goes back into the room she goes. Is there any point in trying to dominate her by holding her mouth shut if she never squeaks to submit. She does roll over, and wiggle her tail, so it seems like she's just having fun.

We tried timing her out in her home crate while we're in the same room but last week we realized, she doesn't see that as punishment either because that's where she spends a big part of her day anyway.

Does an independent Shiba really care if its left alone? Ours likes to be around us, but after 9:30 she turns into grumpy gus and growls and snaps if we get close to where she's sleeping. We're working on this by having her sleep in the doorway to the bedroom where we have to walk past her. She started in her crate but now she's calm enough to let us walk past unchecked.

Here's where I'm stumped now, if she's on her pillow and growls at me walking past, should I get her off the pillow and take it away or let her trust that we're not going to take things away from her in the hopes that she'll stop growling.

Yes, I'm aware that I could just take the pillow out of the equation entirely, but I like that she has a target I can send her to. Also, I think this can be an opportunity for training if I play it right.

Does anyone elses shiba growl and snap if they get woken up? For 2 months, if she's laying on our lap and falls asleep, when she wakes up she'll growl and snap. You've usually got 2 seconds of growls before she makes her move. We usually flick her off our laps and on to the floor to avoid it.

Finally, has anyone got any good tips on teaching bite control and 'calm down' with their shiba?

Phoo.. that's a lot, thanks for reading.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Pearl, Feb 12 9:31 pm

Food & Nutrition > Dog might have eaten half a chicken bone in the middle of a field

Pearl

Barked: Thu Feb 9, '12 9:07pm PST 
I got the other half out and got bit for my thanks. I'm not 100% sure there is anything else in there. She's a tough little shiba, but I'm not sure if I should be worried? How long should I be worried for?

Side note, I think I was the one who threw the chicken bone in that same field 6 months ago.

Damnit.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Nicky, Feb 10 6:34 pm

Behavior & Training > Teaching tricks is demeaning?

Pearl

Barked: Thu Feb 9, '12 9:02pm PST 
I dunno, I've got a stubborn Shiba / Mini Husky mix. The more I read up on training methods, the more I start to see how the same methods would be used to break a hostage to get them to talk. That's messed up. Then I realize she's a dog and think there is much more context to be had.

Kinda like eating meat, you should acknowledge the price than animals are paying for your entertainment/comfort/sustenance and respect them for it.

The best thing you can do for your dog is keep them safe, fed and happy. Unless you live alone in the woods, odds are you're not going to be able to give the dog the natural life they're made for.

TLbig grinR Everything is a compromise, come to terms with it because you'll need to be your best for their sake. Doing tricks seems to be less demeaning than being on a leash, and I'm not willing to skip on that.
[notify]
» There has since been 24 posts. Last posting by Buster, Feb 11 10:47 am

Dog Health > Runny Eyes on Bella
Pearl

Barked: Thu Feb 9, '12 8:51pm PST 
I finally solved this for my Pearl, 7 month old Shiba Inu / Mini Husky. We were cleaning the floor with a wet swiffer and once we stopped doing that her eyes cleared up. We also stopped letting her sleep in a pad that we washed with laundry detergent.

Check what chemicals might be on the floor or where she sleeps. Its even easier than cycling her off foods, which we tried too.

Good luck
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Feb 11 6:57 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.