GO!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Food & Nutrition > Is Affordable Food Possible? I think so!
Shasta

Speed Demon

Barked: Mon Sep 23, '13 4:51pm PST 
I have three medium-large dogs, and I'm sure many of you have more, so you can totally understand how expensive food can get. On top of that, I'm just a teen, so don't have an income to afford much.

The sky is the limit on how good you can feed your dog, and its also the limit on how poorly you can feed your dog. You don't have to spend a fortune to get nutrition into your dog!

Kibble: Luckily I can get more than the dirt-cheap Kibbles n Bits, Dog Chow, and Ol' Roy (my dog was smart enough to just refuse it... Plus they ate almost twice as much of it). I also avoid the "fancy" name brands like Beneful and Pedigree (I especially HATE Beneful.... Look at the ingredients.... Corn and soy are on the top 3). I've found the most affordable kibble relative to its nutrition is Nutra Nuggets. I buy the lamb formula. Lamb is the first ingredient, the dogs love it, and its less than 30$ for a 40lb bag.
Basically the main thing you want is real meat (not by product, and NO NO NO corn!!!) as the first ingredient. I also look for Omega-3's, 6's, and glucosamine to keep their skin/joints healthy.

Vitamin supplements: these things can get spendy! I have found some very affordable ones at Wal Mart though. (I believe the brand is Pro-Vet) Puppy, Adult, and Senior tablets are tasty and only 5-7$ for 90 tabs. They help fill in gaps many foods miss. Joint supplements are always going to be a bit more expensive though, you want a decent amount of chondroitin as well as glucosamine though - they work as a pair. Fish oil is great for heart, joint, skin, and coat health. I just buy the human soft gels, about 20$ for 400 of them. Brewers yeast is also a great coat helper, the price can vary depending on where you get it.

Other supplements? I feed raw bones to the dogs to keep their teeth healthy. I also give them eggs (I always do raw, but if you wanna be safe - go ahead, cook them), and don't throw those shells away! Munch them up, microwave for 15-30sec, and sprinkle over the dog's food, it gives an extra boost of calcium. Coconut oil is another one of my favorites. It helps freshen breath, keep a healthy weight, and is good for skin/coat health. A fairly large container is only 7$ at Wal Mart. The dogs also get lots of seasonal fruits from our garden/trees.

I know I'm not giving my dogs "the best" nutrition, but I've managed to stretch my dollar pretty far while keeping their coats shiny and eyes glossy!

If you guys have any other money-saving nutrition suggestions, please post! I'm always up for something new to throw in their bowl!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Sep 23 4:51 pm

Other Barks & Woofs > What does YOUR dog get mistaken for that makes you wanna Laugh?...
Shasta

Speed Demon

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '12 4:19pm PST 
I'm just curious on sill random odd things that people have mistaken your dog for (e.g. A breed he's not, being the puppy of your other 2 dogs, etc... anything that made you either want to laugh your head off, or want to slap that person in the face & say "YOU IDIOT!!!")

I was taking my Shasta for a walk one time, he was wearing his blue paw-print harness, and I had dark sunglasses on. A girl riding her bike next to me said "Can I pet your guide-dog?" I said "What?!" She said "Aren't you a blind person with a guide-dog? I mean you're wearing glasses and the dog has the fancy harness!" So I took off my glasses and loosened Shasta's leash a bit, "Nope, I'm normal... see? I can see just fine"

Another time I was down at the playground making him go down the slide, jump over benches, and do his obedience. A couple boys came over, and with their jaws dropped said "WOAH! Is that a real live police-dog?!?" I just chuckled and said "Nope, he's my mutt... I don't think he could ever be a police-dog!"

Some stories I've heard of are people who had a couple big dogs [I think it was like a Golden Retriever & a big mutt], and a little terrier, and they've had people stop them and say "Awwww your puppy is so cute! Are those two his parents?" "uh... no... my 'puppy' is about 3 years old and a purebred JRT..."
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by , Jan 11 8:47 pm

Other Barks & Woofs > Share your pup's silly little quirks!!!

Shasta

Speed Demon

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '12 12:01pm PST 
Every afternoon. My boys, Shasta, and Otto, know it's dinner time. We keep the food in a big can outside. When Shasta says he's hungry, he runs up & jumps on the bench by the can. Otto stands in the middle of the yard, holding his football, giving me a blank stare when he's hungry.

As soon as I open the lid & fill up the cups, they blast off to the back [where Shasta's kennel & Otto's cable (and their food-bowls) are]. BUT! It is an epic battle between them. If Otto gets to the kennel first, he waits at the gate and will wrestle with Shasta [Otto loves it, Shaz hates it]. If Shasta gets there first, he runs inside to safety (For some reason Otto knows he's not allowed to go inside & bug Shaz... I think they have little talks about it...) and Otto backs off.

It's a strategy for Shasta though... Otto lopes off to the kennel, and Shasta stays behind.... when Otto's just about there... BAM! Shasta whizzes past him, often jumping clear over him, and flies into the kennel.

Anyway, their daily routine is immensely hilarious. It can't be described in words though [even though I tried... did a lousy job at that, hah]. I'm gonna have to try & get a video of it one of these days... I have NEVER seen dogs who have such an odd routine like that. But it just makes me love them both all the more for who they are laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , May 2 11:57 am

Other Barks & Woofs > Is it just me, or do people frown upon "young" dog owners?

Shasta

Speed Demon

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '12 11:23am PST 
I'm only 15 & have 3 dogs right now... [Well, our 10yr old lab is more my dad's dog, but since I'm the dog-freak of the family, I get the duty of buying treats, toys, collars, brushes, and taking care of them (I REALLY wish I could afford food for them.... getting kinda sick of having to feed 'em not-so-great food = )

I don't get dirty looks when I'm taking my boys for a walk... usually people say how well-behaved & handsome the boys are. But one time I took Shasta to a field & let him run around... he got just out of sight and I heard a bunch of barking & yipping... I ran over to see what was going on, this really old couple was holding their little Bichon and giving me THE worst glare imaginable... I mean I don't blame them to an extent... if there was a 45lb dog acting 'savage' to my little 8lb dog I'd probably be pretty ticked off too... but even when I calmed Shasta down and they continued on their walk, but they would still turn around and glare at me...... shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Apr 30 3:40 pm

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > I drew a picture of Jackson!

Shasta

Speed Demon

Barked: Tue Apr 24, '12 9:17am PST 
Thanks Jackson! Very awesome! =D
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Apr 24 9:17 am

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Does anybody agree with me that this isn't my dog?....
Shasta

Speed Demon

Barked: Fri Apr 20, '12 10:47am PST 
Wow pit bull? I can almost see where they come from.... your golden retriever's puppy? Wow that's just..... eesh!

That sure bugs me when everyone thinks anything is a pit bull.... ANY dog that has a 'square' head, sleek short fur, or a solid muscular build gets accused of being a 'pit bull' by people around here.... ugh!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Apr 26 1:09 pm

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Does anybody agree with me that this isn't my dog?....

Shasta

Speed Demon

Barked: Thu Apr 19, '12 11:46am PST 
Thanks, Jackson Tan. Yeah It turned out looking more like Shasta than I had hoped it would..... I tried emphasizing the white paws/chest but they didn't really turn out that great, haha [because Shasta has no white anywhere except for a couple flakes on his chest...]
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Apr 26 1:09 pm

Shasta

Speed Demon

Barked: Wed Apr 18, '12 3:43pm PST 
Aww... well Rigby sure is a cutie! It's pretty annoying, I twice posted a question on peoples opinions for Shasta's breed. Both times I said that his father was a lab/wolf mix, and that he seriously is not a GSD. I got 6 answers total.... only one actually didn't have the word "GSD" in it! One agreed with me on his hound... [I'm 100% sure there is some sort of hound, if you could hear his bark you'd know exactly why...] but the other 4 said "Yeah right, there is NO wolf in him, you're just saying that.... he's GSD all the way!" ugggghhh.... Oh well. Some people can think what they want I guess.... I'm still confident that there's little-to-none in him.

Beagle as a JRT mix? Wowwwww.... that's crazy!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Apr 26 1:09 pm

Shasta

Speed Demon

Barked: Wed Apr 18, '12 10:45am PST 
Really? Haha.... well guess ya learn somethin' new every day. I know very little about Dogster still I think..... thinking

By the way, Sirus is SO beautiful! I was right too.... just 'cause a dog is black & tan doesn't mean it's got GSD as a primary breed... (Assuming you guys don't see GSD in Sirus?) It still drives me insane that NOBODY believes me that Shasta's got little-to-no GSD in him [they will always see his color and say "Yep, GSD all the way" ugggghhhh!!!!!]. Sorry.... that's just my ultimate pet-peeve... people saying Shasta is most-to-all GSD [that's just crazy that some people say my 45lb, curly-tailed, flop-eared, long-legged mutt is a purebred GSD...... ]

Thanks for the post!!!!! =D
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Apr 26 1:09 pm

New to Dogster/Tips & Tricks > New to Dogster
Shasta

Speed Demon

Barked: Tue Apr 17, '12 11:18pm PST 
Can't agree more with Mika & Kai. I'm relatively new as well...... I'm just exploring and clicking around... I've made a few good pup pals so far [only a couple have sent me messages though..... and right now only one am I actually conversing with.....], if you ever have any questions about anything, there are tons of very wonderful Dogsters on here who would love to answer your questions as best as possible! wink

Hope you make some wonderful Pup Pals, find out really really cool dog stuff, and ultimately enjoy Dogster! way to go

welcome
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Apr 22 6:46 am

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.