GO!

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  

Service & Therapy Dogs > "he's a service dog"...
Mario

Its-ah Supah- Marrrio Time!

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 11:16pm PST 
Guest, I have very specific times I have my SD working at home, the rest they are off duty. One of those times is when guests are over, friends who I'm more comfortable with will get to see my dogs off duty more. I was referring to how this girl picked Mario up, as it was very intimidating especially to a SMALL dog. I was not making a generalized statement about small dog temperaments, but anyone that has experience with small/toy dog behavior knows that they are much more likely to be nervous about big people bending over them, holding them tightly, etc, and a perfectly normal dog reaction to show submissive behavior is to pee, or even snap/bite if frightened. Mario does not do that, he wouldn't be a service dog if he did. Don't accuse me of giving small breeds a bad reputation when you don't even bother to inform yourself before making assumptions.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Feb 1 3:02 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > SDs in pet shelters?
Mario

Barked: Mon Oct 22, '12 11:55pm PST 
Canes and other medical equipment.... or shoes, can easily bring home transmittable diseases. Parvovirus lives in an outside environment for two years, for example.

Dogs can attack and eat small children. Should they not be brought to an animal shelter either because they could very easily be mauled or bitten? Probably easier in fact than a service dog, as SDs should be extremely well trained, whereas children are extremely unpredictable. Dogs and cats can both carry zoonotic diseases, my sister got ringworm when we adopted a kitten in our childhood. They can of course carry much more serious things as well.

I am very protective of the safety and wellbeing of any animal I take responsibility of, which is why I responded very directly to the person insulting me, intentional or not. I don't take my dogs to dog parks for the exact reasons you (Happy) described. One of my friends had a puppy they brought to a dog park, whose head was crushed by a rottie that had caused many problems there before. The puppy survived, but only made it to about 3 years old before the seizures became a serious issue.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Josephine , Oct 23 12:03 pm

Mario

Barked: Mon Oct 22, '12 10:18pm PST 
I'm not "fighting" anything... I was legitimately asking a question that I assume comes up at least sometimes with SD and their handlers. Don't any SD handlers adopt from shelters? Plus this kitten is intended to be an ESA for my bf who is severely agoraphobic and asked if I would help him specifically. I don't think he would pursue this otherwise, and I think it is going to help his health tremendously.

Not to mention... there are so many "breeding grounds" for bacteria, dog parks, vet clinics, dog shows, etc (any place lots of animals, domesticated or wild, congregate??). Should I not go there either? Isn't the point of a SD to give us more freedom? If I did decide to bring Mario with me (I likely will have one of my friends watch him, since everyone seems to be so concerned about what I do with my own dog figured I'd throw that in there), I would be carrying him, and my bf would be the one petting and interacting with the kittens. I might even just stay in the waiting room depending on how it's set up, who knows.

Still have a hard time believing no one with a SD has ever run into this situation before.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Josephine , Oct 23 12:03 pm

Mario

Barked: Mon Oct 22, '12 9:35pm PST 
I can see where these opinions are coming from, but what about when average pet owners or shelters ask or require you to bring in your dog or other pet to make sure the pet you may want to adopt are compatible? Or similar situations. I rescue, and plan to foster in the future, am I restricted in that now because I have a SD? The cat section is almost always separate from the dog kennel as well...
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Josephine , Oct 23 12:03 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > "he's a service dog"...

Mario

Barked: Mon Oct 22, '12 9:29pm PST 
A bunch of friends were over the other day, and some of them brought their friends, so I had Mario off duty so he could go say hi to his fan club lol. This one ditz though, just grabbed him, lucky him being a small dog she didn't get peed on or her lip bit off, and said, "who's dog is this, 'cause I'm stealing him."

....Um, mine, but good luck, he's a service dog, and I'd bring felony charges against you. To which she responded "o.o He's a REAL service dog? How are you disabled, what does he do?" No, I totally just lied to you for absolutely no reason, and now I'm going to just give up private medical information to some ditz I don't even know. Then got into the whole, "I should get one just like him and have a SD too!" Are you disabled? "OF COURSE NOT!"

*Headdesk*
[notify]
» There has since been 27 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Feb 1 3:02 pm

Mario

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '12 8:49am PST 
I'm helping my bf potentially pick out a kitten to have as an ESA (SA if cats were allowed...), and we wanted to check out the shelters here. I've never brought a SD to a shelter before though, and it makes me a bit nervous. I highly doubt Mario would do anything, besides maybe hear the other dogs and bark, and he knows, "quiet." I'm more worried about not letting him interact at all with any of the animals so that he won't pick something up. He's UTD on his vaccines (certain ones I don't do considering their effectiveness), but is this something I should be worried about? Should I be worried about being denied access?
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Josephine , Oct 23 12:03 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Federal ADA law broken??

Mario

Barked: Mon Oct 8, '12 12:58pm PST 
Thanks Autumn.... I feel like I just got advice from myself lol (my name is also Autumn hamster dance ) I am was referred to a lawyer that specializes as you described, by my disability advocate, and am hopefully working with them (things move so slowly).

I think the issue of whether I can have both SDs falls under the privately owned homes, churches, etc part of the ADA, who don't have to allow someone's SD. Plus I'm pretty sure you have to be on a lease, and the landlord would have to be renting to 3 or more people if I remember right under the ADA...
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Oct 12 10:15 am

Mario

Barked: Sun Oct 7, '12 2:54pm PST 
Thanks Happy, I kind of figured it was a state thing, I'm not sure why the ADA doesn't even address it though, I was hoping. I'm staying with a bunch of friends, one of which owns the condo, so it's his private home, and he doesn't have to let me even have Mario here. I'm extremely grateful he offered to let me stay here, because I was literally about to put an REI order through and just live in a tent with my SDs. Link came home for a break while his sheepdog trainer went to the finals as a "test drive" and he did pretty well. The only real problem is that it appears he's regressed back into some SA (I'd imagine due to the extreme stress of being separated from his handler, and seeing me battered, going to a bunch of new places, etc), and will let out a bark every 5 minutes if he's crated and thinks he's alone. But I dealt with that with him before when he was much younger, so I know how to work with it and am confident I can fix the behavior problem. However... one of the RMs are moving out mid December, and I'm going to take over the room. There is no lease though, so I don't think even then the condo owner legally HAS to let me have either of my SDs. However he was really happy with how Link behaved, and said he doesn't see a problem with it once I have my own room, so hopefully won't have to worry about that... Just have to wait until December.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Oct 12 10:15 am

Mario

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 8:01pm PST 
Bump?
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Oct 12 10:15 am

Mario

Barked: Tue Oct 2, '12 1:12am PST 
Sorry, I'm not sure if I'd be violating any dogster rules by getting more into depth since it involves domestic violence (specifically multiple counts of battery of a service dog handler, myself). My DV advocates are working to get me a lawyer for the DV and divorce process, and my disability advocate referred me to lawyers and legal aid that focuses purely on what's happening with my SDs. Basically I was harassed and intimidated out of my own home, which my current husband and I both have our names on. It was originally the plan that during and after the divorce I would be living there and my current husband would move in with a friend, because I ran my small holistic dog grooming business legally from home (went through the city in my name only), and so I could have both of my SDs with me (Link was still my main SD, since I'm mostly homebound atm, and was teaching Mario how to take over). That didn't work out and I felt unsafe in the house directly because of my husband's continued actions which I won't get into, so I am now technically homeless. Although Mario is allowed to stay with me at my only friend's in the area, Link is not due to his size (although my friend who owns the condo may change his mind, after having Link stay here while his sheepdog trainer went to the finals and seeing how well behaved he is). So Link has been boarding with his trainer, which has been a huge strain on my health to not have him, majorly triggering severe symptoms of my disability, and also has been affecting Mario as his workload has increased far past my comfort level with him still being new to the job. Also my current husband, against direct orders he was not to from my ex-lawyers, removed from the home (stole) all of my dog grooming equipment, and even stuff like Mario's cold weather working jacket/vest and working harness that goes over it, which he needs right now. Plus stuff I can't even think of, considering I didn't even know he did this until I got sick of being denied equipment vital to the use of my SDs, legal medical equipment, and requested a civil police stand-by to get those things, found the house completely stripped, and then was illegally kicked out of my own home by the police officer I called. They wouldn't even let me take the scale that was bought specifically on my doctor's orders to monitor my weight which I have been drastically continuing to lose due to my undiagnosed auto immune disorder. All of which the officers knew, I also quoted them state law that was being violated by my husband, and also that it was affecting my SDs' (Mario was with me, vested) ability to perform their work/tasks and mitigate my disability. I was basically laughed at and had the door slammed in my face. I tried to call the DOJ/ADA hotline, but the lady I talked to was extremely unhelpful, rude, was constantly talking over me, and refused to listen. I fully groomed Mario once a week when I had access to my equipment, and kept up on a sanitary trim for him, which he needs. I also have bad allergies, not to dogs, but to allergens that get attached to their coats, and this was pretty easily managed by the grooming schedule I kept up. Now it's been 2 months since he's been groomed, and my allergies are awful. Mario is a papillon also, and his grooming needs to be maintained in order for him to do his job, for example because of his breeding his eyes get weepy if I don't keep them clean and the hair trimmed, which is distracting and uncomfortable, and his feet turn into mop-feet dirt magnets very quickly. Also there has been a noticeable increase in the amount he is shedding, which was basically non-existent before. Obviously the grooming needs are even more so with Link due to his breed and coat.

So it sounds like this is a state issue if I am understanding correctly. There are no federal laws that would protect a disabled individual and/or their SDs in this type of situation?
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Oct 12 10:15 am

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.