Postings by Rocco

GO!

Alaskan Malamute > with a Malamute?

Rocco

Barked: Thu Jul 26, '12 8:52pm PST 
I'm trying to write a breed profile for my dog blog, Rocco's House. I've had no trouble tracking down the breed history, etc. but I wanted to add more details of what it's really like to live with a Mal.

I made a short survey which you can see here: http://roccoshouse.com/the-alaskan-malamute/

but really anything at all would be helpful.

Thanks for your help you guys! smile
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Rocco, Jul 26 8:52 pm

Alaskan Malamute > Coat Cleaning Suggestions Wanted
Rocco

Barked: Thu Jul 26, '12 8:49pm PST 
As a dog groomer, I groan when a Malamute comes in smelling like a moldy old tent. It's nearly impossible to get rid of, and simply bathing the dog again won't help. Trust me. We have every shampoo there is, and have tried everything from letting the dog soak in shampoo for twenty minutes to rebathing and blasting it out.

The only temporary solution we've found is using an odor neutralizing spray, and hosing the dog down. If anyone at ALL has a better solution, I am all ears.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Sep 8 8:29 pm

Sports & Agility > Extremely high fear of Teeter/Seesaw. Need help

Rocco

Barked: Sun Mar 11, '12 11:58am PST 
Rocco had a nasty experience with the teeter too, but my brilliant trainer corrected the problem very quickly. Here's what she did:

She had me sit at the end of the teeter, and place about a bzillion treats on the very edge of the board. (For big dogs, you may need three people for this exercise.) I held the teeter in the UP position so it would not come down. A helper took Rocco and had him at the beginning of the teeter. He could see me, and the treats, at the end of the board.

The helper than led Rocco up the teeter. When he got to the end of the teeter and was eating the treats, we slooooowly set the teeter down.

We did this on 10 or 12 dogs, and while some did try to jump off, they all eventually did the exercise well.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Mar 12 8:18 pm

Sports & Agility > Lookin for WA state Agility furends

Rocco

Barked: Sun Mar 11, '12 11:52am PST 
I'm guessing since I don't recognize the name you're not in my area. I go to Paws-Abilities in Fife. smile I love it there!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Rocco, Mar 11 11:52 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.