GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Dog Health > Thunderstorm Issues Again
Penny- Dutchess

Born to Lick!

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 3:43pm PST 
I am having thunderstorm issues again. This time is it far worse. I was good there for a long while, but now since we moved I am having a lot of issues. Twice now I have peed in the same spot and have rubber the top of my nose raw on the carpet around the pee spot. Mommy after cleaning it up after todays storms, noticed this might be the only spot in the apt where I can't see the windows. Might that be part of the issue. She needs to close the blinds in all the windows in case there is a call for storms? What else can my mommy do to help me handle these better if they pop up when she is not home?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jun 23 1:37 pm

Dog Health > Thunderstorm issues - not hiding, but patroling.
Penny- Dutchess

Born to Lick!

Barked: Thu May 3, '12 8:07am PST 
So I have read through all the Thunderstorm related posts this am, as I discovered over the last 2 nights that Penny has issues with them. However, she reacts differently to them from the posts I have seen. She never hid, barked or whined. She paced around the house like she is on patrol. Last night, I tried several times to get her back into bed and lay down like nothing was wrong, but she would just jump right back up and pace room to room again. I had my BF staying over, so I finally took her to the living room to lay with her on the couch so I wouldn't keep waking him up (as well as not to disturb my downstairs neighbor with her pacing above their heads at 2am). That is when I discovered how much she was actually shaking. However, she wouldn't lay down. The most I could get her to do was sit there aside me as I laid there, was like she had to be able to see what was going on around her. She sat there for 45min to an hour. Finally when it seemed to stop, she laid her head on the top of the couch, but she still wouldn't lay down. When I saw she did that for awhile, I finally tried to get her to go back to bed and we did and everything was fine.

So my big question is how do I deal with this? The same way if she was hiding?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , May 3 8:27 am

Choosing the Right Dog > 2 Questions: Whats the Mix... and a Second dog...

Penny- Dutchess

Born to Lick!

Barked: Wed Mar 28, '12 6:48am PST 
First Question: I am trying to figure out what Penny is. My adoption papers say Boxer Mix. Her personality is ALL Boxer and so is her build. It is her face that shows there is a Mix of something but what?

Second Question: I have been thinking of getting a brother or a sister for Penny. So she has someone to play with during the day when I am at work. Is it best to get a male dog instead of a female?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Mar 28 7:18 am

Behavior & Training > It's not Click/Treat, it's Click THEN treat. Mechanical skills for clicker trainers.

Penny- Dutchess

Born to Lick!

Barked: Thu Mar 22, '12 10:50am PST 
You may want to remove the link from the original posting. It is a great read, but the link just took me to a VERY inappropriate site!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Mar 22 11:37 am

Behavior & Training > Walking help!

Penny- Dutchess

Born to Lick!

Barked: Thu Mar 22, '12 9:55am PST 
Thank you. Glad to know I am not throwing too much at her at one time.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Mar 22 8:24 pm

Boxer > Can anyone help us figure out what am I mixed with?
Penny- Dutchess

Born to Lick!

Barked: Thu Mar 22, '12 9:44am PST 
My adoption papers just say Boxer Mix. Mommy says I am a 95% Boxer becasue of my build and my personality are ALL Boxer. But there is something about my face that shows I am a mix with something. Mommy and I would love to know what that something is.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Mar 22 9:44 am

Local Tips, Playdates & Meetups > Play dates in Queens NYC

Penny- Dutchess

Born to Lick!

Barked: Thu Mar 22, '12 8:53am PST 
I have a 2 1/2 yr old Boxer (55lbs) that I would love to find play dates for. We have a friends Blue Doberman we have play dates all the time with. However I would love to find her other friends as well. There is a great park close to me we can take walks and I also have a backyard we can have the play dates in.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Dec 27 3:28 pm

Penny- Dutchess

Born to Lick!

Barked: Thu Mar 22, '12 7:01am PST 
Thank you everyone for your responses. Last night went a little better, but that could also be becasue there wasn't nearly as many dogs out becasue it was overcast and cloudy so people didn't go.

Anyway, I picked making her sit when we see another dog coming our way. I grabbed a treat out of my pocket, had her sit till the dog came past us. I had one lady that was great. When she came up she said it is ok, that her dog was friendly,but when I told her what I was doing she was great and stayed there on the other side of the walkway and let me go through the process with Penny. Of making her sit there till she was calm and released her to let her go up to the other dog and greet her. She did good. So I think we are going to stick with that. Now I have to teach her "leave it", so we can walk away without me having to drag her away.

So another question with this now, how many things should I be teaching her at one time. I am currently teaching her to sit when I walk in the house instead of jumping up all on me at the door, Sitting when I sit down till I let her jump up in my lap, To Stop and sit when we are at a crosswalk. To now teaching her to sit when we come up to other dogs before she can go up and greet them. Am I trying to do to many things at once?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Mar 22 8:24 pm

Penny- Dutchess

Born to Lick!

Barked: Wed Mar 21, '12 12:53pm PST 
So now that the weather is nicer, I have been taking Penny to the park every night for nice long walks. I have an issue with her pulling wanting to go up to other dogs. It is not aggressive, she just wants to sniff and play. Most of them are smaller dogs and I don't let her. She is 55lbs and likes to play rough, and if she can knock me on my ass and I am 3times her size, I am afraid if she got to playful with one of them and their owners freak out. I try to keep walking by them and ignore them. However she pulls to the point of choking herself. Last night with so many dogs out was the worse. What can I do to fix this? I want to be able to walk by other dogs and she doesn't pull towards them, that she ignores them too unless I give her the ok.

She is a 2 1/2yr old Boxer that 3 months ago I adopted. When I got her the only command she understood was sit and that was if she saw a treat. We have been working on training as it has come up.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Mar 22 8:24 pm

Behavior & Training > How can I train my dog to stop being obnoxious around house guests?
Penny- Dutchess

Born to Lick!

Barked: Wed Mar 21, '12 11:19am PST 
Brooklyn, Thank you for posting this. I have the same issues with my 2 1/2yr old Boxer (just rescued her a few months ago). When I have guests come over she gets so excited to see them she jumps and wants to kiss them. I also have the friends that come over and don't listen when I tell them to ignore her. They say "it's ok. I don't mind." and so they encourage it. So it is impossible to train her not too do this with them. When I come home it is 10times worse. She is SO HAPPY to see me she is practically leaping around my kitchen when I walk in the door.

I started working with her at the door, making her sit till I have taken my coat off and put my stuff down on the table and released her. Every time she gets up I stop, put it back on and we try again. We do that till she has listened. Then I give her the attention she wants. Now reading Sabi's response, I should start to hold that attention an praise till I have gotten away from the door. In hopes that helps with the guest issue, (at least at the door). laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Mar 21 11:19 am

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.