GO!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

Behavior & Training > My "poor" dogs...lol.
Ridley

Cry cry cry!

Barked: Mon Apr 7, '14 6:48pm PST 
The only one who can determine what "being a dog" is really all about, is the dog himself shh

My dogs are never unhappy on a structured walk. But I can't say they would PREFER to be on one, versus one where they can explore and have a bit more freedom.

Part of being a responsible dog owner, is understand your's and your dog's limits. If you have a reactive dog, obviously don't put him in situations where he is likely to encounter something that will trigger his reactivity. That doesn't mean he should never be allowed to, as they say, stop and stiff the roses wink

Ridley was very reactive for a long period. Part of his cure was structure... and then part was freedom. I never STOPPED letting him do the things he enjoyed doing. I just knew when it was time to cinch up and keep control, and when it was ok to loosen up a little.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Apr 8 6:22 am

Behavior & Training > What didn't you have to work on with your pup?
Ridley

Cry cry cry!

Barked: Sun Nov 10, '13 12:36pm PST 
One thing I love about Ridley is that he was never mouthy. Mulder left scars on my arms from when he was a puppy, the worst puppy biter I've ever known, and I was prepared for the worst getting a puppy that was his paternal uncle... yet Ridley never even tried. He has always been happy just to chew on whatever toy I gave him, and is still like that to this day.
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by , Nov 13 8:41 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Got my new puppy

Ridley

Cry cry cry!

Barked: Thu Oct 17, '13 7:47am PST 
Eeeeeee! happy dancepartycheer
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Oct 24 11:33 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Getting a pup sooner than I thought from Schraderhaus

Ridley

Cry cry cry!

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 6:45pm PST 
Excellent, they will be from a VERY close breeding to the one Ridley came off of- which has produced some very nice dogs. Ridley is a special soul and would not have cut it as a service dog, but he has a full sibling who is a trained therapy dog and several others who do other service work. Over all, Lux produces very nice puppies, and Xenna (Hetja's dam) is pretty nice too.

Hope you get the perfect pup!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Sep 24 5:58 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Getting a pup sooner than I thought from Schraderhaus

Ridley

Cry cry cry!

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 2:15pm PST 
I bet you'll be super happy with your pup! Jean is great, has great dogs and a great program. I have do doubt she'll find you the perfect dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Sep 24 5:58 pm

Dog Health > Home remedies for a mild case of localized dermodex?
Ridley

Cry cry cry!

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 12:04pm PST 
Rubbing pure Vit. E oil on Ridley's patch seemed to help the hair grow back in a little faster when he had a small outbreak.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jul 31 8:53 pm

Behavior & Training > Ridley's new job

Ridley

Cry cry cry!

Barked: Sat Jun 15, '13 2:25pm PST 
2 more today!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jun 16 8:27 am

Ridley

Cry cry cry!

Barked: Fri Jun 14, '13 12:25pm PST 
Disappointment earlier in the week after finding no balls, but he managed to score a few today!

3 more balls to the collection!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jun 16 8:27 am

Ridley

Cry cry cry!

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 3:02am PST 
I'll try and get a video the next time I go! It is a riot to watch, he absolutely loves it!

And Toto, haha, I thought about selling them at first, but knowing how people are here they'd probably have some words to say to me for trying to sell back their own balls lol
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Jun 16 8:27 am

Ridley

Cry cry cry!

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 1:17pm PST 
Thought some of you might get a kick out of this.

Summers in full force and tracking is done until the fall when the weather is a bit more reasonable. Ridley has done amazing, his instructor feels he will easily have his TD by the end of the year.

But in mean time, I have found another job for him!

The park where I take the dogs has several lacrosse fields, all backed up by a bunch of woods and creeks. Obviously, some balls get lost... and we've discovered Ridley's talent for finding them.

The first time he did it I was worried he was after a snake, he dove into the bushes like a wild man... but to my surprise, reappeared a moment later with a lacrosse ball! Interested, I walked along the tree line and gave him his track command ("search"), and in a matter of minutes he produced 3 more lacrosse balls and a couple of tennis balls.

So now its a game. I send him in, he nabs the ball, he gets to play tug as his reward! Today we went back and tried again, scoring a total of 6 balls (one he carried off into the creek and dropped, sadly they do not float!).

I'm going to keep record of our little outings from now on... and once I have a good stockpile of balls, I'm going to bring them all back to the lacrosse teams and present them with a little surprise! laugh out loud

Ridley's big score!

A true "working" dog indeed laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Jun 16 8:27 am

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.