Postings by Talah CGC

GO!

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

Choosing the Right Dog > Pomsky?
Talah CGC

Suska's- Sanderling- Tailwind

Barked: Sat Jan 11, '14 4:53pm PST 
Fritz, Klee Kai ARE a registered breed. They're listed under the United Kennel Club and rare breed registry. They are not in the AKC yet (which is fine by most breeders) because there simply are not enough of them. However the dogs have bred true for many decades and compete in a wide range of sports and activities. They're gaining a lot of popularity as agility dogs. Talah's mother was the number one confirmation AKK in the nation.

As for Pomskys...naughty
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Talah CGC, Jan 11 4:53 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > New Ideas- sporty small/medium dog
Talah CGC

Barked: Mon Jan 6, '14 6:38pm PST 
A standard Alaskan Klee Kai might fit your needs nicely.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Buster, Jan 14 7:19 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Will designer mixes ever have kennel club acceptance?

Talah CGC

Barked: Sun Dec 15, '13 7:49pm PST 
Oh my, how did the AKK pop up in a thread about designer mixes and doodles? thinking
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Ace, Dec 29 11:21 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Tiller!! Alaskan Klee Kais?

Talah CGC

Barked: Sun Dec 15, '13 7:24pm PST 
Oh, and to expand after going back and re-reading. I highly doubt ANY reputable breeder would allow a breeding quality intact AKK to leave the country. An altered pet AKK, sure, but they only allow their dogs to be bred if the person is being closely mentored and has extensive experience, etc. Once the AKK is a year of age it is required by the parent club to undergo genetic health testing, temperament testing, and checked for correctness before it is even considered for breeding. And only miniatures and standards should be bred, not toys. As I said, this is a protective bunch.

Checking with the breeders directory that someone posted above is probably your best bet. We have a few active groups on Facebook, but the better breeders aren't always super active there, more like lurkers, lol. And all AKK breeders are not created equal, some produce dogs with a much more timid temperament than others. They can often be very similar to having a feral fox in the ring.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Ace, Dec 29 11:23 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Tiller!! Alaskan Klee Kais?

Talah CGC

Barked: Sun Dec 15, '13 7:15pm PST 
Feel free to pm me, or I can answer your questions here to the best of my knowledge. Honestly you mentioning someone wanting to expand the breed to South Korea surprised me, the US breeders are VERY protective of their dogs, and they are extremely rare outside of the US, though there are a couple of UK breeders as well.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Ace, Dec 29 11:23 am

Dog Health > Luxating patella recovery
Talah CGC

Barked: Sun Dec 15, '13 7:08pm PST 
Talah had surgery on both knees earlier this year, and has also been on bed rest in the past for a broken leg, and my poodle had an ACL tear, so me and surgeries and recoveries are old pals. She will need to be crated at all times except potty brakes for a minimum of 6 weeks, your vet ought to send you home with an instruction sheet. All potty breaks must be on leash and no more than a quick out to pee, back in the crate.

If you can guarantee she'll be good and sit and not move, she can sit on the couch with you, but I wouldn't recommend this until after a week or two because she'll be so sore and susceptible to jostling. There's no reason you can't leave her crated while you're gone unless she isn't crate trained and goes berserk, but honestly that first week or two she'll be so drugged up she is unlikely to be jumpy.

I'd recommend a fluffy easy to wash blanket in the crate so she has plenty of cushioning. Also, look into some calming chews to keep her quiet, I like Pet Naturals of Vermont and Ark Naturals. Invest in a few puzzle type toys that you can stuff her kibble or wet food in and I'd feed all of her meals this way so she's at least getting some mental exercise. Once Talah was a bit more stable I used a front chest carrier so she could still go out on walks with us, something like this or a stroller might be a good option, as long as she'll stay calm in it.

The most important thing really is STRICT crate rest. She shouldn't EVER be out of the crate unless on leash pottying. There's no walking about the house, socializing, sleeping in bed with you, etc. Only the crate for many weeks. Otherwise her recovery can't be guaranteed and she might be crippled forever, plus you just wasted a ton of money.

For Christmas you could take her crate with you and put her somewhere quiet, or if she'll behave herself she could be in the main room with everyone, still in her crate, if you think she'll be too excitable, I'd leave her at home.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Daisy Mae, Dec 18 1:58 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Questions about getting a second puppy

Talah CGC

Barked: Mon Nov 5, '12 4:06pm PST 
Got here just in time!

While I'm sure the other posters mean well, I'm going to have to disagree with some advice. Yes, some dogs might not change much after 10 months and shyness can be a training issue, but not with an AKK! Your AKK is just about to start an adolescent period, and just like with the larger spitz breeds, it can throw you for a loop. Some puppy behaviors will go away, but some new behaviors you might not like could crop up as well. What your dog acts like now is not an indication of the adult he will become. Also, shyness is a breed trait. They are not social butterflies. You can socialize the heck out of them and they still will likely be reserved with strangers at best, avoid them like the plague at the worst.

Case in point, Talah is a little over a year and has recently been going through a bit of a "frantic" phase in fun interesting places. She has also begun harshly correcting dogs in play. These behaviors have cropped up despite constant training and socialization (I am a trainer and she goes to work with me and daycare on a regular basis). I do think being around our adult dog helped her be more outgoing, but that was also begun when she was 12 weeks old. Since your dog is older, I doubt a puppy would be as likely to help him be less wary.

I would honestly wait until your boy is at least 18 months, when his adult personality has more set in. Don't assume he's an adult now. Most AKK are smart and people pleasers, so it's not uncommon for them to seem older than they are.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Tiller (Skansen's Ira in the M, Nov 5 6:18 pm

Small Dogs > I picked up a stray

Talah CGC

Barked: Sun Jul 1, '12 8:34am PST 
I think everyone else covered all the bases, I just wanted to point out that Min Pins have naturally erect ears, they are not cropped, so that doesn't necessarily mean anything either.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jul 7 7:45 pm

Sports & Agility > Unusual agility breeds?

Talah CGC

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 4:51pm PST 
As Lilith mentioned, we have high hopes for Talah competing in agility, she's in beginners right now.

Does cat qualify as a rare agility breed? Cause the agility at cat shows is really cool.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Remmy, Aug 3 4:30 pm

Puppy Place > Need suggestions for cooling beds and collars pls
Talah CGC

Barked: Tue Jun 12, '12 2:54pm PST 
I don't personally see the need for cooling contraptions. My dogs stay in the a/c or get hosed with cold water if we're going on a walk. I tried the cooling beds, but Tanuk was terrified of it and eventually punctured it with one of his nails. The cooling bandanas are a complete waste as well, something around their neck is not going to cool them off a whole lot and they do not stay cool very long. Plus the little beads inside are toxic if ingested.

The easiest way to cool a dog off is to dip it's feet in cold water and to hose its tummy and groin with cold water. That's the best method, and then just let them air dry.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jun 28 5:56 am

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.