GO!

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

Service & Therapy Dogs > Texas law requires training by a recognized agency for service dogs
AILBE,- Service Dog- In Tng

Born To Serve- The Damsel In- Distress

Barked: Tue May 13, '14 12:51am PST 
TX laws on SDITs have changed. All SDITS are covered and it now follows the ADA guidelines. Owner Owned Service Dogs are now covered under the new laws for Service Dogs.

Shadow Walker and Ailbe
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , May 29 12:24 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Disabled Vet / needs therapy dog

Barked: Tue May 13, '14 12:46am PST 
I'm a Disabled Vet and PTSD Service Dogs aren't allowed under their Service Dogs for Veterans Program. Fist of all a therapy dog isn't what you're looking for. A therapy dog is a dog trained to visit others to make them happy.

An ESA (Emotional Support Animal) is a dog or other animal (falls under the Fair Housing Act (FHA) and not the ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act which is only dogs)that gives you comfort and support at home only. There are no tasks involved.

A PTSD service dog is one that is trained to migate your disability thru tasks like turning on lights at night when you enter a dark room, getting help during an episode, getting meds, taking you to a safe spot/zone during an attack. A service dog goes with you while an ESA can't go with you.

You can still have a service dog thru the VA, but you have to do it on your own. First you still need a doctors permission to have one. Second you must either have your own dog that you can train yourself OR find a program that has dogs for PTSD. If you to the point of finding a program that has a dog trained by them be careful on their training program. Some of them have very little training which could lead to issues in the future. Find a program that has a proven track record. There are a lot of programs popping up all over the USA for PTSD service dogs and some of them are just quickly training them and getting out as many dogs as they can.

Hopefully in the next five years the VA will allow dogs trained for PTSD. You still can do an ADI (Assistance Dogs International) which the way the VA is running their Service Dog Programs thru Owner Owned Training programs. Then once the VA changes their tune you'll be covered under them with the dog you trained as an ADI Service Dog.

Shadow Walker and Ailbe
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , May 13 12:46 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Training Mobility Dog

Barked: Tue May 13, '14 12:29am PST 
My older, retiring service dog is only 56 lbs and 24 inches tall. My newer service dog is 66 lbs and 27 1/2 tall. If I followed what Happy said I would need a dog that would weigh about 120 plus pounds. Both dogs are mobility service dogs. I had a fantastic trainer for my first one that showed me how to use a service dog for someone who is heavy like me. WE never put full weight on any dog. There are methods that can make you do part of the work to help, but it also still benefits your needs.

My newer guy was trained the same way by me this time remembering everything what my first trainer taught me. Our training program which is new I had the pleasure of being her first mobility service dog. She was impressed on the techniques I have for mobility work that I'll be doing a demo video for future teams.

PLUS you must wait till after age two before harness work is done. I had all of my training done and the last four months has been in harness work. I never had x-rays on either of my dogs which many people recommend. The training methods I was taught helped prevent issues.

Shadow Walker and Ailbe
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , May 13 12:29 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Since We're Leaving Soon

Barked: Sun Feb 2, '14 12:10pm PST 
I have to let everyone know that Ailbe should be graduating from an ADI Candidate Program by this Summer. He's turned out to be one amazing service dog candidate. He can pick up and retrieve the drop items that I've taught him, balance work, bracing, etc.. and he's also extremely good with distractions while working. He turned out to be a big boy -- 66 lbs and 27 1/2 inches tall. I do all of the grooming and he looks so handsome in his retriever clip

We did have some bumps in the road and in the last two months he's did a 360 degree turnaround. He'll redo the CGC in the Spring. The first one was a fiasco and most of the students failed it.

The VA approved of him as a future Veteran Service Dog with all of the benefits. I have all of the paperwork that was 2 yrs before the Service Dog Act became finalized. Well, moved to VA and a couple months ago and they said NO.. I'm currently appealing it. Apparently they want an ADI service dog even thou there might be a break between the older one and a newer one. This is why they approved of Ailbe for I wouldn't have to go without a service dog..

Going to miss Dogster, but I'm on Facebook with other service dogs who owner train. Shadow turned 10 last week and is still working full time at home and part time in the field. He'll officially retire when Ailbe graduates.

Ellen and Ailbe
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , May 25 7:15 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Dogster's closing...

Barked: Sun Feb 2, '14 11:40am PST 
I would NEVER use Service Dog Central... They slammed me and our new organization several years ago.. They spilled lies that were horrible and to this day they have NEVER appollogized and I mean NEVER!! I use the Facebook site and its got the same info about service dogs as here on Dogster.

I'll miss Dogster since I'm the one who actually gave the name for this Forum .. So, I feel bad that its closing down...

Ailbe and Shadow Walker
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Mar 2 9:03 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > The VA Can Take A Flying Leap..

Barked: Sun Nov 17, '13 5:52pm PST 
All Service Dogs are allowed at the VA Hospital. BUT if you want their medical bills and equipment paid for then you have to get permission to get a Service Dog thru the ADI AND the VA in Washington has to approve it (only 100 per year nationwide). It was at one point where the VA was going to ban all service dogs that didn't have an ADI certification. That would have meant more then 5000 plus service dogs nationwide would be banned .. That was thrown out. I've been receiving benefits for Shadow for about 2 1/2 to 3 yrs. When I first trained him the VA paid for everything I did for the 1st year and then paid for his first harness.. Then they grandfathered him in and have been paying his medical plus paid for the new harness. The Phoenix VA told me that I've already been approved to have a Service Dog and accepting the pup for training as his replacement was fine with them (I have those papers), BUT the big shots in DC said NO -- new one has to be ADI trained and that Phoenix had no right authorizing the new one. Shadow's medical stops at the end of Jan (I still have his medical insurance)... Ailbe's was suppose to start on Feb 1, but they refused him as my replacement EVEN THOU my old VA did the approval. It's just weird ...

http://www.va.gov/ORPM/docs/20120905_AN51_ServiceDogs.pdf

A certificate is required
under § 17.148(c)(1) only to enable the
veteran to receive service dog benefits,
but is not required to gain entry to VA
facilities. This rulemaking does not
permit or prohibit the access of service
dogs to VA health care facilities.
Access to VA facilities by service dogs
accompanying individuals with
disabilities is controlled by 40 U.S.C.
3103, which states: ‘‘Guide dogs or other
service animals accompanying
individuals with disabilities and
especially trained and educated for that
purpose shall be admitted to any
building or other property owned or
controlled by the Federal Government
on the same terms and conditions, and
subject to the same regulations, as
generally govern the admission of the
public to the property.’’ 40 U.S.C.
3103(a). The VA regulation that
currently controls the access of animals
to VA facilities is found at 38 CFR
1.218(a)(11), and we are in the process
of amending § 1.218(a)(11) to be fully
compliant with 40 U.S.C. 3103(a).

I was promised benefits and now I'm not ... I was told that once Ailbe moves into replace Shadow that the harness will be retrofitted and paid for by the VA. Now I'm suppose to pay for it unless they change their minds.

Ailbe
[notify]
» There has since been -1 posts. Last posting by , Nov 18 4:22 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > You're mad at me because he's not a doodle? Really?

Barked: Thu Nov 14, '13 8:14pm PST 
I have a Standard Poodle and I get this all the time "Oh, I love your doodle"... I reply "Oh, I love my pure bred Standard Poodle and I hate those fakes you call doodles" .. I have friends who have doodles for service dogs and some of them shed like crazy... Others also say it can't be a poodle because he doesn't have a fluffy coat. I just tell them I clip him in the retriever clip which is easier to take care of when you have to bathe them more for public work...

Ailbe
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Nov 17 1:57 am

Barked: Thu Nov 14, '13 7:25am PST 
The ADA doesn't cover Federal facilities... Federal falls under the US General Services Administration... HECK the VA isn't even follow those regulations which follows the ADA business brief in their words.

I even told the lady that my first service dog was provided under Voc Rehab 9 1/2 yrs ago... She said that shouldn't have happened either...

Ellen and Ailbe
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Nov 18 4:22 pm

Barked: Thu Nov 14, '13 4:18am PST 
I've been a disabled veteran for almost 40 yrs now. I had issues on and off for years, but for the most part I've always had excellent care. When I went thru getting my first Service Dog, Shadow they were super supportive. I was even grandfathered in on having him a Dept of Veteran Affairs Service Dog. His medical and equipment were covered. He was a non ADI Service Dog... Then I was approved for another dog to train.. At least that's what I thought for the past three years. The Phoenix VA has been behind me on training my own, but apparently IT WAS ILLEGAL according to the big wigs in DC... So, here's what has happened in the past couple of weeks. I'm fuming and totally pissed off at the VA... Ailbe will be my Service Dog and they can't take away my freedom of owing him... Go ahead and read...

NOVEMBER 6

OK Richmond VA Medical Center Dept on Service Dogs. I guess you don't know what the Final Rule dated 5 Sept 2012 read -- I said the Phoenix VA Health Care System told me that Shadow and Ailbe are grandfathered in under the old regulations for Service Dogs. That dogs trained by a non ADI (Assistance Dogs International) program prior to the Final Rule ARE EXEMPT from being ADI Certified. Shadow was exempt because he was a non ADI certified. Ailbe was in training by a non ADI program (since Feb 2012) and was approved by Phoenix in October 2010. It was approved by my Ortho team and Primary to accept a Standard Poodle pup for my next Service Dog. It took another year before that would happen and the Phoenix VA knew about the delay. When I ran into a problem with my apt complex accepting the new pup I had to go back to the VA Hosp/Primary and request a letter stating Ailbe was an approved Service Dog under the "proposed" Service Dog Act. It took my Primary a month to get the letter done. She had to verify that the pup was under the VA system... I won my HUD case with that letter.

So, last Friday I was denied to have Ailbe as a Veteran Service Dog because he wasn't ADI certified .. I told them that I was grandfathered in... He said there is no grandfathering in... So, I went back on Monday and turned in my copies of the special form to get another Service Dog plus the letter from my Primary explaining the reasons for the new donated pup. I also gave them the letter to my apt complex which won my case because it states in it "approved by the Dept of Veterans Affairs" .. Great that I do keep my records. He said he'll turn the papers in, but there is no guarantee of Ailbe's status.

Well, on Monday night I finally found the Final Rule -- I sent him and email and told him to pass it along. Don't know if I'll hear back, but it better be soon...

I FINALLY found a non ADI Service Dog Program in Madison, VA called Mutts With A Mission. They're an ADI candidate ... Basically they have to train teams in the ADI format and these pilot teams that graduate will help with them becoming a full member of the ADI -- It takes about three years. So, I let the VA know on Monday.

So, I've done what I was asked if I took on the training of the donated pup. Now its up to the Richmond VA to get their act together and read the entire Final Rule. I had authorization 2 years before and months before training began with Ailbe. If they say that he should be done with his training I will say {NO) because he can't start harness work till he's two -- just like the Guide dogs -- Their growth plates should be closed and that's after age 2...

NOVEMBER 13

The VA has turned down Ailbe as my future Veterans Service Dog. They said receiving Ailbe with permission from the Phoenix VA was ILLEGAL in the eyes of their STUPID VA SERVICE DOG ACT. They told me bluntly that the dog has to be ADI trained -- PERIOD.. I called the number in Washington and "Lady" (not mentioning her name) said that I NEVER WOULD HAVE APPROVED of getting a pup to train. So, she went on and on that the Phoenix VA gave you the wrong information. They said DC has to approve of ALL VA Service Dogs and you weren't approved by DC. I told her bluntly that they should have told me NO and put me on a waiting list for an ADI program dog. I also told her I have the documents stating the donation and that I would train this pup.... I don't need the DAMM VA to tell me that he isn't my Service Dog. He'll still be one, but he won't be able to receive medical or equipment. I now will have to pay to have Shadow's old harness retrofitted for Ailbe's use. If the VA goes thru screening and requesting proof of ADI certification to enter the VA Hosp then I will not stoop to that level... It's discrimination of us partnered with non ADI teams even thou the law says that they're grandfathered in as non ADI teams. I wanted to make sure that everything was approved by the VA before receiving the pup. I got my papers and they're now telling me that they're ILLEGAL. So, VA you can take your ADI crap and shove it to the wind ... I've been under VA care now for almost 40 yrs and this is the way they want to treat me ... They said they don't approve of OWNER TRAINED TEAMS OR PROGRAMS .. She's so daft that there are some OT ADI programs out there and many are disappearing because the ADI is the one causing the disappearance. Also, the lady in DC said you're only allowed to get a trained dog and the Final Rule clearly states -- TRAINED and that training your own is illegal by the Dept of Veterans Affairs.

JUST HAD TO VENT!!

I'm looking forward to my next phase of training and in three years "if" and I mean "if" the new Service Dog school I found become full members of the ADI I will try again to have Ailbe put in the system... All of my paperwork allowing Ailbe is USELESS and doesn't mean a damm thing...

Ellen and Ailbe
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Nov 18 4:22 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Vest Choices

Barked: Wed Oct 2, '13 5:34pm PST 
Shadow used a harness, but he also used his FSDS vest for quick trips to the store. Ailbe will eventually use the harness, but in the meantime I gave him a brand new vest for his 2nd birthday. The first red vest from sit and stay belonged to Shadow and he used it for 18 months. I was looking online and found the Patriotic Vest both at ActiveDogs and Things For Your Dog - http://www.things4yourdog.com/patriotic%20service%20dog%20vest Active Dogs you had to pay for the one special patch "Disabled Veteran With Service Dog" (about $12) and the other gave it to Disabled Vets for Free... So, it helped keep costs down and saved me some money. ActiveDogs put the Patriotic Vest on sale in Sept and the cost plus the special patch came out to what I paid in the beginning. I measured Ailbe and managed to buy the wrong size. The company was extremely nice and exchanged it for me. They also put on the patches... It's an awesome vest and on the one side I put my DAV - Life Member patch on. The company would have sewn it on for me if I sent it to them. It wasn't a problem for me to sew it.

Ailbe's dogster page shows him in the new vest. I've had the most positive comments on how great the vest looks on him. I also have a patriotic collar and with the red halti he's super cute in his uniform. The vest is a little bit more heavier then the little red one we were using it, but that doesn't bother me. Also, this vest was a little bit more then I would have normally spent. I also waited till Ailbe was 2 and done with most of his growing. Ailbe might weigh 68 lbs and be 27 1/2 inches the large vest was way to large on him. He's been wearing a medium size for a very long time.

Ailbe
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Oct 2 5:34 pm

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.