Postings by Rigby

GO!

(Page 1 of 40: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Rescued dog, wondering what breed she might be?
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Thu May 1, '14 4:40am PST 
Min Pin Akita mix?
Not likely!

Akita's are usually at least 24 inches tall and more than 80lbs, where Min Pins are typically less than half that height and under a quarter of that weight. Not to mention, neither of them are overly popular breeds - not really conducive to random breeding.
But then again, my former vet told me that he didn't know what a Kelpie was and said that Rigby was "definitely mostly Jack Russel"
Most vets aren't breed experts unless they also find the time to do conformation shows or breed themselves. And even at that it's still only a few breeds they'd be familiar with.

As for Bella, I wouldn't rule out hound of some sort, beagle or otherwise.
I know I've seen a face like hers before, but I can't for the life of me remember where or what mix they suspected the dog was...
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , May 1 11:01 am

Sports & Agility > Skijoring/Canicross Harnesses for Smaller Dogs?
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Fri Apr 18, '14 4:11am PST 
I got the Canicross starter kit for 2 dogs!

Rigby's is a little big still, but totally functional.
We finally have a nice day to try it out, now to teach Rigby to pull laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Rigby , Apr 18 4:11 am

Sports & Agility > Skijoring/Canicross Harnesses for Smaller Dogs?

Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Tue Mar 25, '14 7:53am PST 
Ahk totally forgot to come back here!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions smile

Canadog emailed me and said this:
"She definitely has a very deep chest.
Not sure what type of harness you are wanting - but if ordering the Shorty harness - go with size Small.
If ordering a full length harness - go with a Collared style size SL (the body will have a little extra length to accomodate the deep chest.)"

I *think* I might go with them simply because they also sell the canicross belt that I've had my eye on. Plus I can bundle it and get a bit of a deal. Hopefully it will fit her! big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Rigby , Apr 18 4:11 am

Behavior & Training > Help.. My dog attacks unneutered male dogs.

Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Thu Feb 20, '14 3:51pm PST 
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Rigby LOVES intact males. Most often they are the only dogs she will play with.

If they're owned responsibly I see absolutely no reason why someone should have to neuter their pets if they don't want to.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Toto, CD, RN, CGC, May 29 11:30 am

Behavior & Training > Just Want to Share About Sophie...

Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Sat Feb 1, '14 6:16am PST 
hughughughughug

I've been dealing with an internal struggle myself with Rigby. Coming to terms that she is capable of hurting other dogs, and that as long as I have her, she will never be 100% predictable or trustworthy in some situations.

Right now, she's fine with cats, and prey animals. She basically ignores their presence. But there's just something about her that tells me all it's going to take is one little incident before she decides that cats should all die.

"The Problem Kids are the ones we who care make binding promises to"

I know Rigby will never be that easy going, predictable dog that Cobain is. But she's my dog. I've made a commitment, a promise to her. At this point, with all these issues known, if I was unable to care for her for any reason, I don't think I'd be able to find her a new home.

It's a tough thing to go through definitely. hughug Just wanted you to know you're not alone
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Opheila, Feb 1 1:46 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Hypotheticaly could a Cane Corso make a good Therapy Dog?
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Thu Jan 16, '14 5:29am PST 
I wouldn't purchase a Cane Corso with the hopes of making him/her a therapy dog, simply because of what they were bred to do.
If one were to purchase one for a "pet" and the dog turned out to have an excellent therapy dog temperament by some fluke, then by all means try it out.
But keep in mind Cohen brought up a good point about the more "drooly" breeds as well.

As for all these bathed posts...I grew up with a pretty whitebread, sheltered life. I lived in a small countryside village where multiculturalism was nonexistent.
Last year I moved into the city, and one of the low-income, so called "worst" parts of the city. I had my reservations about it, hearing awful racist things about the people in the area.
I lived there for a year (had to move again due to job changes), with just my 30-40lbs little herding dogs and I felt at home. All those warnings and disgusting things people had told me were nothing more than simple racism. And (I hope this doesn't garner a bath for me) the worst people? They were the white ones.

I don't know exactly what was said in these posts. But sure, err on the side of caution (as you would with ANY new area), but there's no need to run in already biased against certain cultures and race.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Mar 23 8:02 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > i was just about to give up and take my dog back when

Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Tue Jan 14, '14 5:49am PST 
Rigby (formerly Jorja) showed up in the shelter as a stray. It took AC months to be able to catch her as she was so crafty and terrified.

During her stay at the shelter, she was adopted out at least 3 times (that I know of) and returned each time for various reasons. The only reason I was told is that one family was allergic to her.

As a stray, we were fully prepared to help her transition into "house living." What we weren't prepared for was the submissive urination, the aggression, and complete and total lack of confidence.
Being a stray she knew absolutely nothing about being a "house pet."
Pee outside? What did that mean?
Feedings at the same time each day?
Treats?
Words like "sit", "Shake a paw" and "stay"?

On the trick portion, Rigby quickly blossomed into a star. She's a smart little dog, and far too food motivated. That was the easy part. But she will shut down if it becomes too confusing or harsh for her. At which point she is out for the next few hours.

Coming home each day to not be able to show affection to the new dog (lest we spend the following minutes cleaning the floor) was difficult. At times it's been so bad to the point that we cannot pet her at all, any time, because she will urinate.
Housebreaking wasn't 100% for a very long time as she always seemed to be able to sneak away at certain times and leave us a present in the hallway.

And then came the aggression. I understand it now, once a dog has been deprived of food and has to fend for themselves, food becomes a very high priority to them. But her spats with Oz initially (and Ruby since) became very concerning as well.

I will admit, there were days I looked at her and asked myself what I had gotten into. Questioned, daily sometimes, if getting her was the right decision.

But with patience, and a love of learning, Rigby has blossomed into a great member of our family. While the submissive urinating isn't 100% gone, it's better. As with the aggression. But we've learned to seek out the signs and fix the situations before they occur.

She is by far the happiest and most affectionate dog we own. Her tail is *always* wagging, and when she feels confident that she wont have a SU accident, she is incredibly cuddly. She's eager to learn, and has an undeniable new love of life. She is probably my most rewarding "project" I've ever had the pleasure to work with.
As I type this, she's curled up next to me.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Ember FDX, Jan 22 1:26 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Before and After (Feel Good Thread)

Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Mon Jan 6, '14 5:28am PST 
Your success with Risa has been something I often remind myself of when I am experiencing difficulty working with Rigby. As I too have hopes of dog sports with her, but at times it seemed she was simply too fearful. The progress you and Risa have made is very inspirational smile
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jan 8 5:32 pm

Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Sun Jan 5, '14 9:06am PST 
cheercheercheercheer

Here's the link for adding photos smile

http://jonrad.com/dogster/forumImage.html
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Jan 8 5:32 pm

Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Fri Jan 3, '14 6:22pm PST 
I often think back to the very first photo I saw of Rigby, and compare to where she is now.
From emaciated, scared, and dull-eyed, to exuberant and full of life.

With the holiday season winding to an end, I thought
I'd post a happy thread for those with rescues/rehomes/etc. dogs to participate in smile
Especially with January being such a dull, frigid and depressing month (for me anyways), I'd like to see some happy shots of dogs whom are doing well in their new homes. Even if you don't have the "before" shot, a happy dog in a good home is always great!

Feel free to include a short story of how your dogs have progressed since the day you got them. This doesn't necessarily need to focus around dogs whom have had a rough start to life (I understand that not all rescues have). This is intended to celebrate the new beginnings we gave to our dogs.

Here's Rigby to get us started, I do hope we get some participants! Just for fun, I will try to give out a zealie or star prize for everyone!

We brought Rigby home November 13th, 2011
17 months, and 11lbs

Cuddling
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Jan 8 5:32 pm

(Page 1 of 40: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.