GO!

(Page 1 of 22: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Pomeranian > what breed is my dog ??
Kip & Oogie

Goof Fox & Diva- Squirrel

Barked: Fri Jan 17, '14 11:51pm PST 
She is the cutest little nugget, and I love her name!!! cloud 9 She looks part pomeranian, part long-hair chihuahua to me big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jan 17 11:51 pm

Dog Health > My Buddy won't stop chewing on his dewclaws
Kip & Oogie

Barked: Sun May 19, '13 2:25am PST 
Could be a sign of food and/or environmental allergies; does he have any other symptoms?

I know when my Kip was on a protein source he was allergic to, he was chewing his dew claws frequently- nearly down to the very nub! AND he was losing his hair. Since we switched to a different protein source/raw, he doesn't chew on his dewclaws or paws at all (and all of his fur is back and better than ever)! big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , May 19 2:25 am

Dog Health > What monthly preventives do you use...? Heartgard, flea and tick...anything else..?

Kip & Oogie

Barked: Wed May 8, '13 11:21am PST 
For me, the only monthly I give is Sentinel, and I space the giving time to every 35 days instead of 30.

I wouldn't give anything, but mosquitoes and fleas are a constant problem in Texas, so it's pretty much necessary.

Sentinel's flea ingredient doesn't kill the fleas that get on and bite your dog, like comfortis (trifexis has that ingredient too), rather, it interferes with their ability to reproduce- they end up laying sterile eggs that can't ever hatch- which means no new fleas to infest your home and bite your dog and make more fleas that will also bite your dog etc. etc. It's also safer since it is NOT a pesticide!

For me, a combination of using Sentinel along with a monthly bath, vacuuming, and applying Diatomaceous Earth to the carpet in the worst time of year works well. My dogs stay flea free, and we never have any of those dreaded infestations in our home hail
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , May 8 12:54 pm

Dog Health > Need reassurance... I hope I'm not making a bad decision

Kip & Oogie

Barked: Tue May 7, '13 8:56pm PST 
That sounds like it was so stressful!! And like I said, I know that feeling hug But it's better to delay if you aren't sure (or at least mostly sure) than to go through and not have a way back!

Dogs can be neutered at any time... but they can never be UN-neutered. smile You still have plenty of time to decide more surely on what you think would be best meditate
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , May 7 8:56 pm

Dog Health > Need reassurance... I hope I'm not making a bad decision

Kip & Oogie

Barked: Mon May 6, '13 6:52pm PST 
I'm a little late to this post! Good luck tomorrow!!

I remember the first appointment I had for Kip to get neutered, I canceled beforehand. And on the rescheduled date, I practically had a panic attack and had to gather myself in the bathroom of the office- I nearly canceled the appointment that day too- I was so nervous it was the wrong decision!

Honestly I beat myself up a bit over it, wondering if I made the "right" choice or not afterwards... but it's been nearly a year since Kip was neutered and I don't really doubt the decision anymore. His personality didn't change at all- he's still my playful goofball clingy mama's boy! Plus he doesn't mark at all, and he never had any complications from the surgery or gained any weight big grin

It's scary though, since it is altering you're dog's make-up and there's no going back! But make the best choice you can based on your circumstances- that's all you can do. And definitely ask the vet to only shave a tiny part of his paw, Kip's fringe took FOREVER to grow back!!

Let us know how it goes hug
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , May 7 8:56 pm

Dog Health > Trifexis or Sentinel????
Kip & Oogie

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 1:15am PST 
Sorry to hear about Star’s whipworms and Josie and Wiggle’s seizure disorders frown Sounds like a tough situation to be in.

If I were you, I would absolutely not let my vet pressure me into buying something that I did not feel comfortable giving my pet. My vet recently tried to do that with me, since her office was out of stock of Sentinel she tried to get me to switch to Trifexis (which one of my dogs is under the minimum weight requirement for and I am uncomfortable with the noted side effects of the comfortis portion of the drug in small breed dogs anyway), and then tried to get me to get heartgard (which they used to be on, but one of my dogs did not react well to it). It took some badgering and she tried to dissuade me, but I had her fax my dogs’ negative heartworm tests to another vet which had Sentinel in stock so I could purchase it and feel comfortable with what I was giving them.

I read SO many reviews when I was picking a heartworm preventative, and based on those reviews I chose Sentinel. So far I have been very happy with it- so much in fact, that I have gone out of my way to acquire it for my dogs during the Norvartis plant shut down which caused a big shortage of the drug.

That said, just because it works for my dogs doesn’t mean it would work for yours- mine don’t have seizure disorders, and that is definitely something that needs to be kept in mind when finding the best option for your pups. If it were me, I’d be wary of what the drug reps tell you… their job, after all, IS to SELL their company’s drug… And I would ABSOLUTELY be firm with a vet who’s primary interest was profit from selling medications they had on hand rather than taking your pet’s personal needs into account. Research your options. Read reviews, as many as you can, and especially pay attention to those done by people who own dogs who also have seizure issues and/or are in the same breed/weight category. Any medication has risks and benefits, and finding the one with the best ratio for your pets’ particular needs is the way to go.

That said, I would absolutely be wary of giving Trifexis to any dog with seizures or any small dog based on the reviews I remember reading. From what I remember, Sentinel had FAR fewer negative reactions reported, and the ones that were reported were less severe. The difference between the two are the medications dealing with fleas; Sentinel has lufenuron (Program)- a flea egg inhibitor that destroys the flea’s ability to reproduce. Trifexis has spinosad (Comfortis), a pesticide which kills any fleas that bite the animal. Looking at reviews for those two drugs (which are in the two choices you have right now) also helped me make my decision, and maybe it can help you make yours too.

That said, also keep an open mind to other alternatives if they are available- learn as much as you can about all of your options before making a decision. Good luck!!
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Apr 19 3:47 pm

Dog Health > So what are all the interceptor people doing?

Kip & Oogie

Barked: Wed Apr 10, '13 8:37pm PST 
Oh Tucker I wasn't trying to convince you to use sentinel! I hope you didn't take it that way- I was just expressing what I did (as sentinel was VERY difficult to find and many vets were out of it, just as interceptor was since they are both made by norvartis) that helped me find some in the shortage, and suggesting that calling other vetrinarians (especially those on the outskirts of town or in rural areas close to your town) to see if they have any interceptor left in stock that they could sell you. I understand your reasons for not using flea preventatives year round, as further north you don't have to deal with fleas literally the entire year like we do down south! Just wanted to clarify that.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Apr 22 8:37 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Small dogs... talk me in.

Kip & Oogie

Barked: Wed Apr 10, '13 3:41pm PST 
I feel ya with the "too small" concerns! I have two pomeranian/chihuahua mixes, and I much prefer the size of my male (~6 lbs)... my female is just SO small, barely over 3 lbs, and it limits what she can do. My male is full of energy and like a mountain goat- great hiking companion- but the female can't make jumps and such and has to be carried over rougher terrain. Plus with the smaller size, she is more fragile and extra care needs to be taken around her for that reason.

That said, being small gives them many benefits (this goes for ANY small breed):
-easy to travel with via car or plane (And in planes, you have the option to have them as a carryon under your seat if they are under 10 lbs). You can take them pretty much anywhere!
-cheaper to feed, even if you are feeding something typically more expensive like raw
-smaller poops to have to pick up! And during potty training, less of a mess to clean!
-easier to have more than one since they take up less space to begin with wink
-EASIER TO BATHE AND GROOM. Even if they are resistant, it still won't be that hard.
-typically require less exercise than larger breed counterparts (which is good if you don't have a backyard and don't have time to devote 3hrs a day to the matter)
-typically longer life span- so more years with your furry little love big grin
Plus they are just plain cute and easy to cuddle cloud 9

Cons! The smaller the size, the more fragile the dog... so...
-must be careful not to step or sit on the wee one
-must monitor them more carefully around larger dogs (they can literally be killed with a bite from a large dog)
-must be more careful with them off leash while hiking (birds of prey, coyotes, etc.)
-brushing teeth GETS INFINITELY MORE DIFFICULT the smaller the dog is. Seriously.

And I think that pretty much sums it up!

I think pomeranians and pomeranian mixes are fantastic- poms are such happy little dogs and typically love to play. If you get a mix you may even luck out and not have to deal with the extra grooming requirements imposed by that beautiful coat! My two are SUPER easy to groom and quite honestly, shed LESS than many short-haired dogs we know! I brush them maybe once or twice a week and bathe them once every month or two; they don't matt, tangle, or have any "doggie odor" about them!

And you mentioned an interest in papillons- I've never owned one, but each one I've met has been VERY high energy, with several of them being great agility dogs.

Hope that helps!
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by , Apr 14 11:00 am

Dog Health > So what are all the interceptor people doing?

Kip & Oogie

Barked: Wed Apr 10, '13 3:17pm PST 
What you could try doing, if you haven't already, is calling around to different vets in your area to see if they have any interceptor in stock and if so, if they would be willing to sell some to you. Most vets will require recent proof of a heartworm negative test from your own personal vet and/or a faxed prescription; some may require you get the test done with them before they will sell it to you- depends on the vet!

I have my two on Sentinel and am glad to hear it is back in production! Fleas are bad in my part of Texas all year long, and the flea-egg inhibitor in sentinel is MUCH safer/has far fewer negative side effects than the pesticide found in trifexis.

Anyhoo good luck! When I was calling around to find Sentinel, I found calling to places more rural/further out of town seemed to have some stock left due to a naturally smaller influx of regular patients to buy up their stock. Any vet in a busy city will more than likely not have any left.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Apr 22 8:37 am

Behavior & Training > Leash Reactivity towards large dogs
Kip & Oogie

Barked: Wed Apr 10, '13 9:34am PST 
So, for over a year I've had issue with my 6 pound male pomeranian/chihuahua mix being leash reactive (lunging and barking) towards dogs larger than about 12 pounds. He doesn't do this with smaller or up to 12 pounds- it just seems to be focused on dogs larger than him (and occasionally small squish-faced breeds, like pugs and boston terriers).

Not only is it frustrating while we are on walks, but it has prevented me from enrolling him in agility- which is unfortunate, because I think he would excel at and absolutely love it. Most of the dogs in agility are on the larger side, so I fear starting classes in that kind of environment due to his current leash reactivity towards the larger dogs.

Any tips on nipping this reactivity in the butt?

His sister, who is barely over 3 pounds and goes on walks at the same time with us, is NOT leash reactive. She gets fearful of LARGE dogs, but never lunges or barks. She just moves out of the way!

For background, I know some of it is probably me, as I have always been VERY cautious/reserved around large dogs with both of them due to their size and my fear of them getting hurt- so their socialization with large dogs is pretty low. That said, they regularly interact with other small dogs and have been socialized around them since puppyhood.

Any advice is appreciated!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Apr 10 9:34 am

(Page 1 of 22: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.