Postings by Lola

GO!

Dachshund > Surgery Concerns - Back

Lola

Barked: Sun Nov 6, '11 8:55pm PST 
I'm going through this exact same thing right now. My little guy had surgery on Tuesday night and now has motor in his left which is stronger thn his right. The right seems very weak. I'm very worried as well. It's hard to know what to expect with these things.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Dec 1 9:51 am

Dachshund > Back Surgery Worries
Lola

Barked: Sun Nov 6, '11 6:21pm PST 
Hi everyone.

I'm new here, so bare with me. My Lola just had back surgery a few days ago. He had been having some pain a week before and he was prescribed crate rest, which we have never done with him, so that was pretty much a disaster. He seemed to improve, however, but this past Tuesday he woke up with paralyzed back legs. We quickly made the 6 hour trip to have surgery done. He had some motor function in his left leg and none in the right before surgery. The day after surgery, he regained the motor in his left and the next day, the motor in his right. He was able to pee on his own 2 days later so we came home. He needs a sling to stand and cannot walk without help. The vet said he would look like he gets worse before he gets better, and that's very true. He seems very weak when he stands outside and tries to pee. He only just started eating again today. I know this is going to be a long process, but I just worry so much. I feel like I'm constantly checking to make sure he still has feeling in his legs and whatnot. I know the prognosis is really good with surgery and I was told an 85% recovery. My worry is the crate resting, which we will have to do again when we leave the house, and the fact that we don't have any animal physiotherapy services at all where I live. I was given some exercises to do with him at home, but I just worry that won't be enough, or that we're doing the wrong things. I'm just hoping some of you out there have been through the same things and can offer some guidance and reassurance and tips on what I can do to ensure he'll get back to normal. I look forward to talking to you. Thank you for listening to my ramblings.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jan 27 4:12 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.