GO!

(Page 1 of 64: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > Dog rubbing eyes with paws/rubbing eyes on carpet the last couple of days
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Fri Jul 18, '14 8:37am PST 
The last couple of days Frankie has been rubbing his eyes with his paws and then rubbing his face/eyes on the carpet. He will do this 3 or 4 times about twice a day. He also sometimes does this when he is first groomed. It is not that frequent, but obviously enough to make me wonder and ask what might be up.

Googling nets me some info about ingrown hairs and possible surgery to remove them. I am not sure if these are ingrown hairs or loose hair or eyelashes that got stuck in his eye..? I flushed his eyes out really well with some eye was stuff from Espree/Petco and he still is rubbing. I looked in his eyes and can't see anything, but something might be stuck somewhere that I can't see.

And wouldn't you know I just had him at the vet this past Monday for his 3-year checkup and lepto. confused

Really not looking to go the surgery route..is it expensive..? This seems to be a sudden thing so I am wondering if something is just stuck and will hopefully work it's way out eventually. He loves to be outside when S/O cuts the grass and he likes to be literally three feet away, and I worry that something might get kicked up in his eye..Poor thing.

Like I said, I've flushed his eyes a few times and tonight he rubbed them again..frown

I think if nothing else I will call the vet in the AM. But in the meantime looking for any advice or thoughts....thanks.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jul 18 8:37 am

Puppy Place > Third time seeing neighbor's dog loose...any advice..?
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Wed Jun 11, '14 1:05pm PST 
I posted this in Laws/Legislation too but that board moves slow so maybe might get more replies here..

The neighbors behind us have 2 German Shepherds.
I had Frankie outside last night on his potty break and I suddenly heard frantic voices calling someone. I looked and saw the GSD from the house behind us running like the wind through other neighbor's yards then through our yard and then back to them.

They have an invisible fence and this is the THIRD time one of their dogs has been in OUR yard. The second time it happened my s/o went and asked them why/how their dog got loose, and they said the batteries in the collar were dead.

The one time their dog did lunge toward our dog in a rather confrontational way but we got our dog into our house in time.

So last night I was a little frustrated to see it happeneing again. Talked to a friend and she said to call the police to see what to do. I first wanted to see if there are any dog leash laws in our county and found the number for the dog warden in our county. I called them and the woman I spoke to was not very helpful. I asked if there are leash laws and she said 'it depends, if the dog is on their property...' I said the neighbor has an invisible fence but last night was the 3rd time their dog was in our yard. She then asked 'is it a vicious dog...?' I said I did not know because I never had any personal contact with the dog(s). I should have told her about the lunging/growling incident. Anyhoo, she said there was no police officer available and she can send a police officer out to talk to me. I said I will call back to talk to one and she told me to hang on and she would connect me to one (thought noone was available..?) I was upset that it appeared nothing would be done and I would just be wasting the officer's and my time. So I said no thank you and hung up. Probably not the best thing to do but again I felt like it was a lost cause.

I don't know what else to do. I am outside with Frankie when he is outside when I am home but S/O sometimes leaves Frankie outside on a tie-out by himself. I know this is bad, and I have told him time and again not to do so, but he ignores. Obviously I can't be home 24/7 and S/O does not listen.

The bottom line is this dog/these dogs have/has repeatedly been loose and who knows how many more times that I did not notice or see.

I don't know. Just venting I guess, unless someone has a better idea. We do not talk to these neighors, they keep to themselves. S/O has sometime made small talk with the man a handful of times, but aside from that, they totally keep to themselves. I personally have never even said a 'hello' to them, and vice versa. Not sure talking to them will do any good. They seem to have the law defending them and this 'oops the battery died' excuse..ugh..what happened last night, then..? ugh....not sure what to do but I would like to avoid a potential conflict if at all possible...I hate being 'that neighbor' but if they were more responsible with their restraints or whatever, I would not have to be! It makes me angry that the law seems to be protecting THEM.

I am sorry but a loose dog is completely irresponsible,
regardless if it is vicious or not.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jun 13 6:02 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > Third time neighbor's dog loose..when to or should I complain to police..?

Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Wed Jun 11, '14 12:52pm PST 
The neighbors behind us have 2 German Shepherds.

I had Frankie outside last night on his potty break and I suddenly heard frantic voices calling someone. I looked and saw the GSD from the house behind us running like the wind through other neighbor's yards then through our yard and then back to them.

They have an invisible fence and this is the THIRD time one of their dogs has been in OUR yard. The second time it happened my s/o went and asked them why/how their dog got loose, and they said the batteries in the collar were dead.

The one time their dog did lunge toward our dog in a rather confrontational way but we got our dog into our house in time.

So last night I was a little frustrated to see it happeneing again. Talked to a friend and she said to call the police to see what to do. I first wanted to see if there are any dog leash laws in our county and found the number for the dog warden in our county. I called them and the woman I spoke to was not very helpful. I asked if there are leash laws and she said 'it depends, if the dog is on their property...' I said the neighbor has an invisible fence but last night was the 3rd time their dog was in our yard. She then asked 'is it a vicious dog...?' I said I did not know because I never had any personal contact with the dog(s). I should have told her about the lunging/growling incident. Anyhoo, she said there was no police officer available and she can send a police officer out to talk to me. I said I will call back to talk to one and she told me to hang on and she would connect me to one (thought noone was available..?) I was upset that it appeared nothing would be done and I would just be wasting the officer's and my time. So I said no thank you and hung up. Probably not the best thing to do but again I felt like it was a lost cause.

I don't know what else to do. I am outside with Frankie when he is outside when I am home but S/O sometimes leaves Frankie outside on a tie-out by himself. I know this is bad, and I have told him time and again not to do so, but he ignores. Obviously I can't be home 24/7 and S/O does not listen.

The bottom line is this dog/these dogs have/has repeatedly been loose and who knows how many more times that I did not notice or see.

I don't know. Just venting I guess, unless someone has a better idea. We do not talk to these neighors, they keep to themselves. S/O has sometime made small talk with the man a handful of times, but aside from that, they totally keep to themselves. I personally have never even said a 'hello' to them, and vice versa. Not sure talking to them will do any good. They seem to have the law defending them and this 'oops the battery died' excuse..ugh..what happened last night, then..? ugh....not sure what to do but I would like to avoid a potential conflict if at all possible...I hate being 'that neighbor' but if they were more responsible with their restraints or whatever, I would not have to be! It makes me angry that the law seems to be protecting THEM.

I am sorry but a loose dog is completely irresponsible,
regardless if it is vicious or not.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jun 11 12:52 pm

Behavior & Training > Helping the Insecure Dog

Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Tue Apr 8, '14 11:30pm PST 
If you know a qualified behaviorist or trainer I would check with them.
Otherwise I would request leashes for your dog and other dogs when they are together. In the end these are animals.

I have had some similar scary moments with Frankie recently and as someone told me, these are still animals, and no matter how well they are trained they are still animals. He brought up Montecore of Sigfried & Roy.

I am not here to debate proper training being an answer and a guarantee that nothing bad will ever happen. I think anyone is foolish to think that any animal is not capable of an attack at any moment, regardless of how well-trained the animal might be.

Having said that, training no doubt obviously helps prevent incidents. It obviously is not a guarantee but more like really good insurance.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Apr 11 5:21 am

Behavior & Training > Dog snapping twice this week..very scary..

Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Tue Apr 8, '14 2:48pm PST 
Thanks everyone..hug

The vet could not find anything wrong..so I guess it is back to the stress of being at the groomers for almost 6 hours. For some reason he does not like this groomer and for him to have been there for nearly 6 hours I guess it could be stress lingering..

He is actually very good about the 'down' command and sometimes even in bed when I say to him 'okay Frankie, mommy has to move..' he will wake up and move to the other side or the foot of the bed..I guess I hate to wake him so I 'try' to just move him..obviously that is not a good idea...

Tried taking a bone from him today. Took it and placed it up on the counter..He was calm just sat there and did not move, did not even blink or bat an eyelash.......So hopefully it was just the stress lingering......

I also have been doing some training 101 with him to establish and re-affirm listening and obeying habits. So far, so good.......meditate

Thanks again...hug
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Apr 8 2:48 pm

Dog Health > Dog sick for a few days..is it possible from the groomer..?
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Tue Apr 8, '14 2:32pm PST 
The vet said likely it was something he ate while at the groomers..and because Frankie has been good about drinking water he did not see a huge cause for concern...

Unfortunately 'daddy' and I have had a heart to heart talk twice before about this, and he does not listen. He still buys Milk Bones even though I try to stick with and always have on hand quality treats from Fromm and other Made in USA companies that don't use a lot of filler and garbage in their treats...*sigh*

Frankie has been feeling better and back to himself, thank goodness...

Thanks all way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Apr 8 2:32 pm

Behavior & Training > Helping the Insecure Dog

Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Sun Apr 6, '14 5:57pm PST 
Are you able to work with a behaviorist...?
In your dog's defense, he did give warning growls, correct..?
Where were the owners of the other dogs..?

It is hard to tell what all is going on with your dog but apparently it is something that is concerning you. I would consult a behaviorist.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Apr 11 5:21 am

Behavior & Training > My pup acts feral - not sure what to do.

Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Sun Apr 6, '14 5:26pm PST 
Sounds like she needs a behaviorist ASAP.
Has she been vet-checked...?
GL...hug
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Apr 9 3:35 pm

Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Sun Apr 6, '14 4:54pm PST 
TY Tyler and Bunny.
Sometimes in general it just gets overwhelming.
As I said, my health issues have escalated in the last three years.

I will call the vet tomorrow.
Any specific questions I should ask or specific tests to request...?
I know the vet will know what to do, but I figured having some info and any possible questions or requests might be better than going in and just blindly saying 'my dog has been snapping..' ..know what I mean...?

He has always been somewhat of a pushy dog..he is pretty good with a firm 'No!' but this sudden snapping....ugh..yeah, a vet visit is a good idea..

I did read somewhere about some male dogs develop dominance-aggression issues between the ages of 18 months and 3 years, and he is right in that age range..but yeah I already have been checking for obedience classes and dog trainers/behaviorists in the area...thanks!! way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Apr 8 2:48 pm

Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Sun Apr 6, '14 3:58pm PST 
Oh boy.

Last night as Frankie was in bed with me I went to pick him up so I could move him, as he was edging me out of the bed. He growled pretty viciously and his head did and exorcist type of moves and within 2 seconds he almost bit my face, boob, and hand....luckily I was able to get out of the way fast enough..He was still growling and had a stance as if he was about to attack so I picked up a pillow and scooted him onto the floor (as gently as possible). He continued to growl and snap once on the floor. Very scary. It really looked like he was about to attack. I pulled the alpha voice as much as possible and told him to go into his crate, which he did. I went to close his crate door and he again was growling and snapping.

Now, last Sunday, he had a bully stick that I had to take away from him when it was time to put him in his crate (he sleeps in his crate sometimes--after last night probably permanently!), as I did not want the risk of him choking on it in the middle of the night. He again NASTILY growled and snapped. This was not a mild growl, it was very attack-mode sounding growl with the lunging and snapping....again, if I was not fast enough, there would have been a heck of a wound....

He has not been a dog to snap when I take a toy or food away. So that part really scared me. The snapping in the bed was one thing, as he often growls if I try to move him in bed. But the snapping with the bully stick was very scary. Last night was the first night he actually snapped as badly as he did..had his teeth made contact it would have been a huge mess...it was that nasty of a repeated snapping.....As I said, he has slightly growled and slightly tilted his head to snap before when I went to move him but last night's episode was reallllyyy baddd...

I know the old saying let sleeping dogs lie but the snapping, in particular with the bully stick, is obviously a huge red flag. He never has been good about being picked up, even since we got him as a pup. I have tried and tried to condition him and it seems he is getting worse.

I do wonder if the stress of him being groomed a week and a half ago is taking some sort of extended toll? As I posted in the health forum, he had a bout of diarrhea for several days after being groomed. So I wonder if he was just stressed to the MAX...S/O insisted on taking him to the groomer this past time (a different one than usual--this one we had been to twice when he was 4 months and 6 months--he did not like the place then, I kind of thought he might be okay being he is older now-he will be 3 in May.) But IDK if it is just a coincidence but he seems to different since then. He whined when I dropped him off (I had found a groomer that Frankie likes and we had been using and it really ticks me off that S/O insisted on going to a cheaper place) and he was SUPER-clingy when I picked him up and super-clingy the following days. Understandable in part because he was sick. Usually when he comes home from his 'regular' groomer he does his 'zoomies' and then tuckers out. This time he was clinging to me like a dryer sheet. His usual groomer takes about 2 hours, this groomer we last went to has dogs there up to 5 or 6 hours, as she works on dogs in-between. So I am wondering if he was just stressed to the max and acting out, not that that is excusable or acceptable. Toy breeds usually do not like being separated from their 'pack' and he has never been without one of us for more than an hour or two...

Today he is not the clinging type he usually is. Which oddly is somewhat of a relief because he really can get underfoot sometimes. But obviously there are issues here.

I almost feel I can't keep a dog that is unpredictable. I have poked around on the internet and most links say a dog should never snap, especially at it's owner.

If it was up to me I would seriously consider putting him up for adoption and making sure whoever adopted him knew what was going on so maybe he could get with an owner with more dog experience. Me and S/O are getting older and have health issues so that is a factor as well.

The kicker is S/O is adamant about NOT getting rid of this dog. He can be and is a sweet dog 99.9999% of the time and is outgoing and loves meeting people but this snapping and seeming unpredictability can be a problem. Any time he has been around kids he has been really excellent with them. So I am wondering too if the lack of activity of our house is the problem. But again, I am no spring chicken and in the 3 years that I got him, my own health has gotten bad...

And fwiw yes it bothers me that S/O is seemingly putting the dog before me.....confused
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Apr 8 2:48 pm

(Page 1 of 64: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.