GO!

(Page 1 of 103: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Sports & Agility > Does Anyone Compete With a Rescued Dog?
Zephyr

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 11:47am PST 
I know that the club people I interact with participate fairly heavily in rescue. There was actually a little cattle dog pup (7 or 8 months old) who someone in the agility classes had pulled from acquaintances who were going to dump her. She's since been adopted into a sport home (Which was needed, she's a drivey little demon). If I hear of sport/performance appropriate dogs I tend to spread the word as do all the other sport people I know. Most of us have full plates but there is a lot of effort made. There's also a rescue not too far from me that specializes in herding breeds and placing them appropriately. It helps they run a sheep/cattle farm too but I've seen some awesome dogs come out of their rescue.

Ha, Duncan I take more classes than I show and my club is big into competitions. I don't think there's been anyone in ages outside of the Beginner or Puppy classes who hasn't at least put a rally title on a dog.

I'd have to get the woman's permission to post the videos I have but there's a local lady who has Beagles trained through Utility. They're absolutely fabulous dogs (Star is a total ham.) and really encapsulate what it's about. They're happy and they come out with a real sense of accomplishment in a difficult venue.
Approved by forums moderator
» There has since been 64 posts. Last posting by , Jan 10 6:00 pm

Sports & Agility > Does Anyone Compete With a Rescued Dog?
Zephyr

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 8:52am PST 
Yerp.

Zephyr is my trialling dog and a rescue. She competes under a PAL number in AKC and she has something else in UKC but I can't remember the terminology. Life commitments outside of dog sports (Yeah what are those?) has kept me from trialling her much. She's a class from her URO2 in UKC Rally (Like Advanced Rally in the AKC, off-leash all that) and has a leg towards her UCD (Novice title).

She's got her Herding Instinct certificate and if I get off my butt In March there's a trial where she'll put in her AKC OB debut in Novice and WC Open (Wildcard classes are where you can deliberately not include an exercise in your score and there is limited praise allowed. It's a good pre-class) just because I don't know how she'll handle the retrieve in a new ring.
[notify]
» There has since been 73 posts. Last posting by , Jan 10 6:00 pm

Behavior & Training > Perch Work Youtube Videos?

Zephyr

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 8:37am PST 
This trainer breaks his down very well specifically for competition styled heeling and how you can use the pivot for that:

Linky

And as a perch suggestion for the physical object, those rubber feed tubs for livestock come in a bunch of different sizes and I've yet to meet a dog who finds the surface difficult to stand on or objectionable to their pads.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jan 24 8:28 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Lancashire Heelers?

Zephyr

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 8:23am PST 
That it has 'heeler' in the name already has me thinking 'Oh dear'. laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jan 23 8:23 am

Behavior & Training > Clicker training question

Zephyr

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 5:17pm PST 
Dandy. I'm glad she has a definition that is widely agreed upon.

That doesn't however render someone's explanation of what's happening and a possible reason why, irrelevant.
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jan 23 3:27 am

Zephyr

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 5:06pm PST 
Until 'clicker training' is actually trademarked or the original poster puts 'R+ Responses only' I'm pretty sure anyone is free to respond. And there are reasons for doing what is being described even if you disagree.

As for the co-opting of language, it's a little reminiscent of Donald Trump trying to trademark 'You're Fired', more than slightly ridiculous.
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Jan 23 3:27 am

Behavior & Training > What Are You Doing For "Train Your Dog Month?"

Zephyr

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 12:16pm PST 
2x2 Weaves with Mo and Zephyr. I should probably finish taping the poles so I can actually accomplish it.
[notify]
» There has since been 37 posts. Last posting by , Jan 26 8:54 am

Zephyr

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 11:28am PST 
It may not be technically correct but it works to get more out of some dogs. I get why it's being done.

Granted I won't use a clicker since it's just one more thing to lose and my voice works just as well if not better.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Jan 23 3:27 am

Zephyr

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 10:56am PST 
It's about spacing out rewards, really. It's "You're still doing the right thing, keep trying and we'll have a big party at the end". It doesn't lessen anything if you've done it correctly since the dog should know by that point what a click means. You can't take food everywhere so sometimes a "Good" or a "Yes" will have to do especially if you're competing.

Plus with some dogs withholding the reward will have them working harder and with more intensity. They really want that big reward so you're conditioning them to work very very hard the whole time. It's a good drive builder with some including one of my own.
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by , Jan 23 3:27 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Small breed suggestions
Zephyr

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 5:46pm PST 
The Pyr Sheps I've met were... special? Not shy about using their teeth we shall say.

Cattle dogs are notoriously dog aggressive. confused
[notify]
» There has since been 36 posts. Last posting by , Jan 26 11:27 am

(Page 1 of 103: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.