Postings by Mr. Jake the Beagle

GO!

(Page 1 of 68: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > It appears to be cancer (Prostate Cancer) - How to keep weight on and eating up?
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Sun Jul 26, '15 10:10pm PST 
Thank you Yoshi & Scooter.

Jake didn't really want to eat today. Not even cat food.

It's a bit depressing so he got some proxicam and I have a liquid nutrient jelly.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Yoshi, Today 9:29 am

Dog Health > It appears to be cancer (Prostate Cancer) - How to keep weight on and eating up?
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

Barked: Sat Jul 25, '15 5:18pm PST 
So we went to the vet today and I was not fully prepared for it to be our final visit. Despite me treating jake with tons of love, ice cream, burgers with the buns and a photo shoot day. neither one of us was ready. So when we went to the vet we got another ultrasound and I got bad news.

We are certain now it's cancer. While it's not spreading it is growing and it is growing into Jake's bladder. So for his comfort and my piece of mind that he won't suffer needlessly. Next Friday July 31st will be our last day together. We have a night appointment so we can take as much time as we need to say our goodbyes.

It's ironic because it as July 31st 2011 when they found Jake roaming around on the streets and he was picked up by Animal Control. Several homes and a few months later he found his way to me.

I want to thank everyone who's been so supportive of me and Jake over the years. I'll keep you guys posted on his progress till the very end.

From,

Jake's Mom
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Yoshi, Today 9:29 am

Dog Health > Pale gums

Mr. Jake the- Beagle

Barked: Sat Jul 25, '15 5:14pm PST 
So we went to the vet today. It was supposed to be our last visit but Jake just didn't seem ready to go. So the doctor ran some more tests. Jake is not anemic or apparently bleeding so they don't know why his gums are going between pale and red.

But for now the vet says that he's okay. So the pale gums issue is closed for now. smile But his health problems continue :< see other related posts about prostate.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mr. Jake the Beagle, Sat 5:14 pm

Dog Health > Pale gums

Mr. Jake the- Beagle

Barked: Fri Jul 24, '15 6:56am PST 
His gums are still pink which is good smile He's at daycare today and the staff says he's being his usual self. Still struggling to go to the bathroom but other then that he's his usual self.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Mr. Jake the Beagle, Sat 5:14 pm

Mr. Jake the- Beagle

Barked: Fri Jul 24, '15 6:54am PST 
@yoshi,

Thanks, It's a pretty bad situation. Jake still seems happy but most days I'm more concerned that he'll pass away while I'm at work instead of with him. I'm going to the vet this weekend for one more ultrasound and if its spread or has grown considerably larger I'm just going to have to make that call. Which sucks because other then the elimination issues he's still very much himself.

@Scooter,

Sorry to hear about Scooter not doing too well. I'm pretty sure I've said this before on Dogster but Jake is the first beagle I've liked my whole life. He is/was a headcase that drove me insane but with the help of dogster and a good trainer Jake became a great dog. I just have regrets because I always thought we'd have more time. That's the lesson in life Jake taught me I guess. I should live in the moment and everyday. I'm still not sure what to do about Caroline though.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Yoshi, Today 9:29 am

Mr. Jake the- Beagle

Barked: Thu Jul 23, '15 8:36pm PST 
Hey yoshi,

Yes Jake came freshly neutered at around 2 from the pound. Prostate cancer is high in neutered vs unneutered dogs. Or at least that's what all my research and vet inquires have told me. It's really unfortunate. I'm now going to debate forever about castration for any following dogs assuming there are more male dogs after Jake.

I mean I picked a beagle because on average they live a long time ~10 years. So I figured they were a good breed to have for a first time dog owner. And I was right Jake is/ was a/ an amazing dog. I'm just so devastated this disease beat us ans don't know if I'll want to go through it again.

Sad thing is minus the can't really pee or poop thing he still eats 2-3 cans of wet food a day goes for a walk and is generally happy. This dumb disease stole my poor boy from me. So unfair. cry

I'm dreading our potentially final vet appointment this Saturday. cry he doesn't know it yet but I certainly feel like it is.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Yoshi, Today 9:29 am

Mr. Jake the- Beagle

Barked: Thu Jul 23, '15 7:04am PST 
Hi Yoshi,

Yes Jake is only a baby barely 5-6 years old. The pound wasn't sure how old he was when he got picked up. But we've been together for almost 4 years though it feels like I've had Jake all my life (lol) well I have for most of my adult life.

I'm just really sad that this prostate thing (which is actually caused by castration) was what took the next 5-10 years away from me and Jake. My grandfather's beagle has had cancer for 4 years already and minus a few lumps he's fine. But Jake appears to have something rather aggressive and is going to be gone in less then 6 months after being diagnosied. Though to be fair I've had almost 3 extra months with him and most dogs with prostate cancer die in less then 30 days.

To Sandy,

Thanks for the reply. Financially I cannot afford to feed Stella and Chewies. Right now he's eating Merrick's Back Country (which pushes the budget). I have Sweet Caroline a 45-50lb basset hound and a 10 month old kitten to provide for too. I'm really wishing i had just stuck to Evo but Jake wouldn't eat their food. The only thing he really likes right now is Merrick's 96% pated dog foods and those back country stews.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Yoshi, Today 9:29 am

Dog Health > Pale gums

Mr. Jake the- Beagle

Barked: Thu Jul 23, '15 6:58am PST 
Just after I started worrying about his gums being pale and what not they were a healthy shade of pink this morning and responded well to the pressure test, turned white then back to pink in less then 2 seconds.

He even seems livelier then just a few days ago. He ate 3 whole cans of dog food yesterday too.So I'm happy at least for now this pale gums thing is out of the way.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Mr. Jake the Beagle, Sat 5:14 pm

Dog Health > Pale gums

Mr. Jake the- Beagle

Barked: Wed Jul 22, '15 1:17pm PST 
Hi Rocky,

Thanks for your reply. I have jake scheduled to go to the vet this Saturday I'm monitoring him at home until then.

Thank you for your advice.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Mr. Jake the Beagle, Sat 5:14 pm

Mr. Jake the- Beagle

Barked: Wed Jul 22, '15 1:15pm PST 
Hi Yoshi,

No, we never did any cutting into jake just Aspirates. This is because of the location of the prostate. I read online to confirm what my vet told me that only around ~20% of dogs survive having their prostate removed or the surgery associated with that. So i opted for more time and didn't do it.

Though at this point I'm not sure how much more time I have left. I feel like its just about time for Jake and I to part ways. Not forever but for now. And coming to terms with that has made being away from him while I'm at work very difficult.
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Yoshi, Today 9:29 am

(Page 1 of 68: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.