Postings by Poppy

GO!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

Behavior & Training > Good books for reactiveness
Poppy

Instilling fear- is cowardice; be- brave!

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 5:47am PST 
How do I always miss these books? I even searched up Reiki books for dogs, haha.

Thanks, Tiller. big grin I added it to my list.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Tiller (Skansen's Ira in the M, Dec 9 2:15 pm

Poppy

Barked: Sat Dec 8, '12 9:39pm PST 
Personally, I'm a big believer in natural means. I love the ideas of massage for dogs and reiki for dogs. So, I was looking for books that are kind of like that. I found a really good book; Energy Healing for Dogs by Nicole Wilde.

I'm definitely putting it on my wishlist.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Tiller (Skansen's Ira in the M, Dec 9 2:15 pm

Poppy

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 11:39pm PST 
If I could like a post, I would like yours, Risa!

Personally, I'm looking to get "Click to Calm" soon for Lobo. He has some issues with dogs on leash, too. But first I need money haha.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Tiller (Skansen's Ira in the M, Dec 9 2:15 pm

Poppy

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 3:24am PST 
Thank you, Demon! I couldn't remember the other book or the DVDs.
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Tiller (Skansen's Ira in the M, Dec 9 2:15 pm

Poppy

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 2:58am PST 
Along with the site that Demon posted, I would also like to recommend learning about dog body language. I'm willing to bet that Cooper gives off certain physical signals that say he's uncomfortable before he actually reacts.

For Poppy and I, we got the book "Scaredy Dog" by Ali Brown, "Calming Signals" by Turid Rugaas, and "BAT: Behavior Adjustment Training" by Grisha Stewart. Ali Brown also has another book and a DVD about reactivity. I haven't read/watched these, though.
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by Tiller (Skansen's Ira in the M, Dec 9 2:15 pm

Behavior & Training > reactive dog?
Poppy

Barked: Wed Sep 12, '12 10:35pm PST 
Along with Asher's suggestion, I'm going to recommend some books.

"On Talking Terms With Dogs: Calming Signals" by Turid Rugaas. This is so you will be able to understand when she's feeling uncomfortable or frightened in a situation. A lot of "calming signals" can also mean other things, so be sure to do some research.

"Scaredy Dog!" by Ali Brown. This book helped me to better understand what reactivity is, why some dogs are reactive, and how to help.

"BAT: Behavior Adjustment Training" by Grish Stewart. This one is just another way to help with reactivity.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Pepper, Sep 13 6:56 pm

Behavior & Training > Rescued a dog... AWFUL- Please Help

Poppy

Barked: Thu Aug 30, '12 9:49pm PST 
I always enjoy walking with Poppy. But we walk laaaate at night, when "normal" people are asleep. And Poppy is actually very nice on the leash.

If you really can't get him out when you won't run into people, or if he's impossible on the leash, you can do other fun stuff with him, too.

There are lots of mental stimulation games to play, too. And, as I said previously, romping in the backyard might be a good idea as well.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Aug 31 1:37 pm

Poppy

Barked: Thu Aug 30, '12 6:23pm PST 
Oh, Sanka, I didn't even think about the walk thing, lol.

Yeah, I haven't been home to walk Poppy all month (or Lobo... x.x) so both of them have been high-strung. And I still can't walk them until next week because they're spraying pesticides because of the (non) "epidemic" of mosquitoes... But that's an entirely different topic.

Anyways, if you're really really worried about walking him, you could also see if he'll play with toys or something so you can play in the backyard with him.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Aug 31 1:37 pm

Poppy

Barked: Thu Aug 30, '12 5:32pm PST 
Personally, I wouldn't recommend going to a trainer who's already talking about dominance. The dominance theory has been disproved many times over, and I'd be hesitant to go to someone who talks of it - ESPECIALLY because you're dealing with a reactive dog, NOT a "dominant" dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Aug 31 1:37 pm

Poppy

Barked: Thu Aug 30, '12 10:58am PST 
I have to agree with others here. Reactive dogs are not easy. It is a serious, full-on, lifetime commitment. If you cannot dedicate much of your time, you need to be realistic and find someone who CAN. There's no reason to be ashamed if you can't handle the responsibilities.

Now, if you're willing to work with the dog, there are some books I HIGHLY recommend:

BAT: Behavior Adjustment Training by Grisha Stewart.
Scardey Dog! by Ali Brown.
On Talking Terms With Your Dog: Calming Signals by Turid Rugaas(this is so you can reward for him choosing to use calming signals instead of resorting to barking)

Kikopup on YouTube has quite a few videos on helping to eliminate barking and/or reactivity.

Sanka is also correct: If he's not capable of being redirected, he is over his threshold and is too emotionally overwhelmed to even think about food. This is if he's normally very food-motivated.

Best of luck to you and your new rescue! I sincerely hope that everything works out, no matter what you decide.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Aug 31 1:37 pm

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.