Postings by Bosley

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Get Well Soon > Back surgery for slipped prolapsed disc
Bosley

Barked: Fri Sep 16, '11 8:39pm PST 
Thanks Scooter.

I knew something was different today. Bosley seemed more alert and playful. I couldn't believe it. He took about 6 steps. Things are looking up.

snoopy
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Nov 15 1:22 pm

Bosley

Barked: Fri Sep 16, '11 4:11pm PST 
GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 days after surgery, Bosley took his first steps today. It was more of a drunken stumble but he is moving!

I knew the day was going well because he seemed more alert and playful. His pain meds have been decreased and things are looking up. I am very encouraged.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Nov 15 1:22 pm

Bosley

Barked: Thu Sep 15, '11 8:22am PST 
Hi Summer,

My poor Bosley is physically challenged, even before he slipped his disc. His front legs are turned out, almost backwards. He looks like a Dr. Suess character. It took him 5 years to learn how to jump up on a couch or climb stairs and he never really became comfortable with it. His hind quarters are very tight because of the neurological damage as well as his physical makeup. So he is on the slow plan. The vet has every reason to believe that he will walk again but it may take him a little longer.

He sleeps beside my bed on his bed so I can keep an eye on him and I have the area blocked so he can't move around. He slept very well last night.

Ready to start the 2nd physio session with him now.

Check in soon.

Thanks guys for your continued support.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Nov 15 1:22 pm

Bosley

Barked: Thu Sep 15, '11 8:17am PST 
Hi Scooter,

Bosley's crate is made of wire and it is big enough for him to lay down in or turn around but it is not too big. Maybe it is more of an anxiety thing than an anger thing but this has always been a problem. When I go out, I confine him to my laundry room because he will pee or poop in the house but if I am with him, he goes all night long and several hours a day without going. He has control but chooses not to when I am not around.

Not a big deal right now, it is the least of my worries. I wonder when he is expected to walk. At what point, would it be safe to say he will never walk? I am not discouraged yet because it is way too early but how long do you think this will take?
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Nov 15 1:22 pm

Bosley

Barked: Wed Sep 14, '11 7:47am PST 
Hey Scooter and Summer (gonna try writing as Bosley lol)

Thanks so much for your support. I have pooped today, three times. Only once was outside but Mom is showing great patience. She tried to be sneaky and put my pills in a piece of cheese but I always manage to spit them out. Today she went out and got these great delicious treats by Greenies. They are called Pill Pockets and she stuffed the pills inside and I loved them so much, I didn't even notice. Have your mom's buy them to if you ever need to take medicine.

Mom has said she has noticed an improvement even from yesterday. My hind quarters are very tight which will make my recovery a little more difficult and slower. With physio 6 times a day, it helps to loosen my hind quarters. When mom brought me home yesterday, I would sit on my bottom with my hind legs fully extended in front of me. Today I am having an easier time folding them up beside me. When we are outside, she gives me support by holding me up from behind. When I try to walk, she moves my back legs for me but I am really getting the hang of that and I feel myself trying to run out of her hands.

Something that I find upsetting, I have not been crated since I was a puppy and now when Mom steps away or out for a bit and puts me in the crate, I get very angry with her and do my business all over myself to let her know. Since I am lead a sedentary lifestyle, I usually lay out beside her in my bed when she is in the kitchen or family room. It sure beats the crate but sometimes I understand she has to crate me to keep me safe.

Any advice for her on how to keep me from peeing in there?

Thanks for checking in my new friends. Stay tuned for updates. Hopefully sometime soon I will be able to tell you that I am walking again.
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by , Nov 15 1:22 pm

Bosley

Barked: Wed Sep 14, '11 4:31am PST 
Hi Summer,

Bosley is on a dry dental food but it seems to much of an effort for him to eat right now so he is on soft food. He did his business outside this morning and again in the kitchen......ugh.

I do have to carry him in and out and he can stand on his own but I have to lay his back paws flat on the floor for him. He can't walk.

The after care is intense to say the least. I am doing his exercises with him 6 times a day and in between that cleaning up vomit, pee and poop. I know in the end it will all be worth it but right now it seems impossible.
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by , Nov 15 1:22 pm

Bosley

Barked: Tue Sep 13, '11 5:05pm PST 
Hey Summer,

Bosley is on pain meds and another drug but I am not sure what. When I picked him up, I was given so much information that I missed what the other medication was for.

His hind quarters are very tight which means he will progress slower. He keeps his legs fully extended so I have to do exercises to looses his muscles.

Taking care of him is like having a new born baby. I was peed on this afternoon and thrown up on this evening. Oh my poor Bosley.

He hasn't had a bowel movement yet and I am not sure how that is going to happen. I am overwhelmed and concerned.

I am very happy to hear Summer is doing better but if it is a disc, crate rest is so important. I was told disc problems are prevalent in long back, short leg dogs.......so chances are, your vet is right.

Hold off a bit longer but if he doesn't improve, you should do a CT scan to confirm what is going on.

Looking back, Bosley displayed signs of pain over the last few months. He had 3-4 episodes where he was shaking excessively and panting. I thought it was anxiety since it would go away in 20 minutes or so. Had we determined his problem sooner, perhaps we could have prevented the need for back surgery.

Thanks so much for your comments and support.

Hope Summer feels better soon.
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by , Nov 15 1:22 pm

Bosley

Barked: Tue Sep 13, '11 12:24pm PST 
The CT Scan was $601.95 and the CT interpretation was $164.80
[notify]
» There has since been 24 posts. Last posting by , Nov 15 1:22 pm

Bosley

Barked: Tue Sep 13, '11 12:22pm PST 
Hello everyone,

I just brought Bosley home an hour ago. He is resting comfortably beside me. I have been given physio exercises to do 6 times a day. I feel a little overwhelmed and anxious when handling him. When I handle him in a way that makes him uncomfortable, he gives me the smallest little love bite.......more like a nibble to let me know.

I took him out for a pee when we got home and we both got peed on.........lol. It is going to be a long road but I look forward to a full recovery.

F.Y.I according to my bill, the tests are priced as follows (Toronto)

CT Scan $601.95

Myelogram $488.20 (there is a small risk when this procedure is being done). Bosley did not need this as the CT Scan showed what they needed to see.

MRI $1500.00 approx. He didn't need this either.

Thanks Scooter for the good wishes. I will keep you posted on Bosley's progress.
[notify]
» There has since been 25 posts. Last posting by , Nov 15 1:22 pm

Bosley

Barked: Sat Sep 10, '11 12:29pm PST 
Hi Summer,

An x-ray is not helpful when trying to diagnose a herniated or slipped disc. It is however done before surgery to count vertebrae. I live in Toronto and had the surgery done at a pretty pricey hospital but I know the care is top notch. A CT scan was the only test Bosley needed to determine he had a slipped prolapsed disc. The price of a CT scan was $601.95. If that did not show what they needed to see then he would have had a myelogram which costs $488.20. If they still didn't see the problem than a MRI would have needed to be done and that test runs around $1500.

If you need to be tested further, make sure you have a CT scan before a MRI. It is cheaper and usually the only test that needs to be done.

Feel better soon.
[notify]
» There has since been 28 posts. Last posting by , Nov 15 1:22 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.