Postings by Buddy

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Behavior & Training > How much is reasonable to expect?
Buddy

Moms Handsome- Prince

Barked: Sun Apr 7, '13 10:57pm PST 
Bud is DDR breeding with very little anything else and he didn't even look at the ladies until he was near 3, I thinklaugh out loud
I know he knows they are there, but I expect his attention on me. What he does on his time is his business but he darn well better not waste my time. I would be demanding ALL his attention and I can tell you why. Bud is my obedience star, he was born to work , he loves to listen. He has a great recall, 100% all the time. I never worried about letting him loose until one day when he was about six. We had taken them to a huge field to run and they had just been let off lead when he bolted, and he is fast. He ran well over two miles before I caught him, making love me eyes at a collie bitch on a chain in some farmers yard. Fortunately I was right behind him but lesson learned. Before that I chalked up his love of the ladies to a boy thing, just nature. Now I won't tolerate even a glance. Now the rule is unless I give it to you it is not yours.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Conker, Apr 13 9:26 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Name Changing?
Buddy

Moms Handsome- Prince

Barked: Sat Oct 27, '12 6:18pm PST 
Buddy was Demon when I got him, taken from his registered name. I wanted no negative carry over from his former life so I changed it. Easy stuff, name, treat, name ,treat. It took just a few days, less time then to be able to touch him.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Rexy, Oct 31 8:08 pm

Dog Health > Bud is throwing up

Buddy

Moms Handsome- Prince

Barked: Wed Jun 6, '12 5:16pm PST 
It seems to make little or no difference if his stomach is empty or full. He throws up whatever he ate last or just bile. It may be nerves, this started when my ex stopped coming over. I thought maybe his collar was aggravating him so I switched to a harness but he is still doing it. I walk him twice a day and it happens everytime. He starts coughing and gagging and then throws up. I can't not walk him but throwing up twice a day can't be healthy.

Kali he is a great dog. A perfect example of breeder screening failing miserably. I worked for the breeder and when we found him finally and he was brought back my boss said the humane thing was to have him PTS. I was off that day but they said he could barely walk and was still just a raging maniac if you went near him. I was checking on another dog in the kennel that night and fell in love. He looked so sad and he was sick and hurt and scared. My heart just melted. I begged my boss to let me try and rehab him and he finally gave in. Probably to shut me up.laugh out loud
Buddy never left and 8 years later he still melts my heart with those eyes.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Buddy, Jun 6 5:16 pm

Dog Health > Bud is throwing up

Buddy

Moms Handsome- Prince

Barked: Wed Jun 6, '12 7:29am PST 
Buddy has started throwing up when I walk him. He has been in perfect health since I've had him. The vet seems to think he is just anxious.
I got Bud at 11 months old. He was taken back by his breeder because of abuse. He was badly malnourished and it took me a long time to get him to a healthy weight. He also had serious injuries and a bullet from a 22 that is still in him. The vet was concerned that removing it would cause further damage as the wound was already healed.
Anyway, Bud has been in perfect health for years but a month ago he started vomiting when I walk him. The vet can't find anything wrong and it only happens when I walk him. He is still his normal high energy self and doesn't seem bothered by it. It bothers me.
Other then sleeping more he is the same dog he has always been. He will still scale a 6 foot fence in a second, still outrun anything, still demolish any toy made. He is every bit as intense and active as always. I changed his food a while back but he only gets sick when I walk him. I have adjusted his walk times so he is eating after not before but it didn't help. I switched his collar for a harness. Bloodwork is all normal, he does not get vaccs and he is not neutered.
Any thoughts on this?
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Buddy, Jun 6 5:16 pm

Dog Health > "Zeutering" instead of neutering

Buddy

Moms Handsome- Prince

Barked: Mon Apr 16, '12 7:45am PST 
I have a 9 year old intact dog who has posed no problem.
If I were considering sterilization it would be for health reasons and I would never consider injecting a chemical.
I do agree that this is a great option for areas were the shelters are overrun or stray populations are out of control.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Tessa Sue~*In loving memory*~, Apr 18 8:53 am

Choosing the Right Dog > The right breed??
Buddy

Moms Handsome- Prince

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '12 1:01pm PST 
The only Elkhound I have any experience with was eventually placed with a runner. Calgary is known for extreme temperatures and Storm never seemed bothered by it. He went running daily with his new parents and no unusual precautions seemed necessary.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Meeka, Mar 10 5:14 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > The right breed??

Buddy

Moms Handsome- Prince

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '12 9:52am PST 
Just wanted to note the size of a German Shepherd. My male is 95 lbs and is NOT pet stock or "old fashioned". His mother weighed in at 75 or so. He is DDR/East German with some West German 2 generations back on his dams side and Czech 2 generations back on his sires side. These dogs were not bred to be over sized and while I don't remember exact weights I do recall that the 3 imports who were the foundation of this line and were 100% East German were not small dogs. I would guess that the male was roughly the same size as Buddy.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Meeka, Mar 10 5:14 pm

Behavior & Training > Raising a puppy intact- input appreciated!

Buddy

Moms Handsome- Prince

Barked: Wed Jan 25, '12 8:48pm PST 
Buddy is intact, 9 years old and of my three dogs the most docile. We did have problems with him marking in the house but it was not difficult to correct and he had never seen a house until I got him at 11 months. He has gotten a bit snotty with me a couple of times over bitches but again not hard to correct. Personality has nothing to do with boy parts and the least tolerant of strange dogs is my spayed female.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Samson, Jan 27 9:37 am

Behavior & Training > People who assume.

Buddy

Moms Handsome- Prince

Barked: Thu Dec 22, '11 3:13pm PST 
I seldom take Bud out in public areas because I also have to do 'the I'm sorry he's not good with strangers'. Buddy was abused, horribly abused from 8 weeks to 11 months when I got him. He has made great progress but he will always have a lot of triggers and people stepping in at him is one of them. I have had him for years and I still never reach for him. But as soon as I say that people think he's mean or poorly trained. If Bud was going to bite it would be out of fear, he's a big teddy bear.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Dec 24 4:42 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > a lesson in raising my blood pressure (RANT)
Buddy

Moms Handsome- Prince

Barked: Sat Oct 8, '11 10:05am PST 
Wow Mulder you are way more generous then I would be. In my line of work we use PP dogs to ensure that the handlers can do their jobs(we deal with high conflict sites)My boy is straight east german third gen from imported grandparents. I would agree that they are generally "harder" then some lines but it all boils down to training and handling. And if she is K9 how does she know so little about bloodlines? And why slam the czech lines? I would have come unglued on her.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Sabi, Oct 12 9:16 am

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.