Postings by Otis

GO!

Dogs and a Clean Home > Dog Door Mats

Otis

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '12 11:23am PST 
I've seen some mats marketed as "super absorbent" to put in front of doors to help with wet/muddy paws. I live in UPSNY where it seems as though the ground will never freeze and we are going to get rain all winter... I keep a towel by the front and back door and wipe the dogs paws off when they come in on rainy days. But there are still lots of little doggy footprints on the rug smile Has anyone found a product that really does help clean their paws (besides a human with a towel)? Thanks.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Nare, Dec 24 1:20 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Rescue Dog behavior red flag?
Otis

Barked: Sat Nov 24, '12 5:42am PST 
One more thing... here is what is motivating our concern...

besides the dogs-are-always-around stuff we are avid hikers, horseback riders, etc. We have Otis off leash pretty often when we ride and hike. So we are in conditions pretty frequently where we need to know that if she encounters a dog that concerns here she won't immediately go into attack mode. This behavior yesterday wasn't "back-off" it was "i'm coming to attack you".

Otis is a submissive and super friendly dog. He just has that aura that he would never hurt anyone - it is almost palpable when you meet him. Her, not so much.

We just don't know where to draw the line between innate demeanor and behavior that might change over time...
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Star BN RN RA, Nov 26 5:50 pm

Otis

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '12 2:44pm PST 
Where do you live? What do you mean when you refer to giving her back to the "agency"? Was she from a rescue group?

I'm in UPSNY. Yes - she is from a rescue group with a 20 day trial period.

Was she fostered in a home prior to your adopting her?

From what I understand she was fostered briefly - but not in a foster "home" per se - the rescue group had an awful lot of dogs and I think it was more of a kennel situation than a home situation.

If so what did the foster home/ rescue report about her behavior toward other dogs?

They said she was fine but had shown some aggression over a toy. She was originally from a kill shelter in the south. She didn't come with a history from there so she only has a 2 week history with the group up here.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Star BN RN RA, Nov 26 5:50 pm

Otis

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '12 1:59pm PST 
We recently (2 days ago) rescued another dog. She is about 4 - Catahoula + ? - boxer or pit maybe. We have a 2 year old male Catahoula and they get along fine (as in, she tolerates his constant attention very well smile ). We have a lot of dogs in "our world" - dog park for Otis daily, dogs of family members, etc. Some small children too (nieces, nephews < 4 yo). She made a trip to the dog park and did fine - mostly observed. We took her to the family farm and she did fine with 5/6 of the dogs. Got into one pretty serious scuffle with a young Golden. There was a toy involved so we wrote it off. Today at the dog park she was completely unprovoked and VERY aggressive towards a new dog at the park. If we hadn't held her when he came in and then kept her on a leash for a few minutes until leaving I don't think it would have ended well. She has some scars and is missing part of an ear... so she has not had an easy life.

She is wonderful at home. Calm, loving, sits in your lap, no barking, etc. Honestly, she is perfect. But the fact of our lives is that she will be around other dogs a lot. I am literally nauseous as I type this because I feel so awful thinking about giving her back to the agency... but I just feel as though I'm not ready to risk a dog with the potential for severe aggression... just looking for some feedback or possible "try this first" ideas...

Thanks smile
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Star BN RN RA, Nov 26 5:50 pm

Behavior & Training > I Hate Getting Ready For Walks!!!

Otis

Barked: Fri Aug 31, '12 6:37pm PST 
This happens for Otis too and I'm not sure why. I think he wants to go out - he gets super excited when he knows it is time for a walk but he is never thrilled about putting on the harness. It isn't too tight and I don't think it is pulling on fur at all. Once it is on he is fine (and he appears to be on the walk as well), but he has this routine where when he sees the harness he sniffs it, then walks around the sofa in a sort of sulky way, than very reluctantly sits, then lies down for me to put it on him. Going for a walk with just his collar does not cause the same response. My suspicion was that he knows it isn't just "free time" on the harness since those walks are when I work on keeping him near me and not marking every single tree we pass... but who knows.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by rosco, Sep 4 11:22 am

Behavior & Training > Separation anxiety (?)
Otis

Barked: Sat Jul 21, '12 4:29pm PST 
Brief background:

We adopted Otis at the age of 1 from a rescue shelter. He was severely underweight and was housetrained but seemed to have no other training. He tried to put him in a crate once and when it seemed as though he might hurt himself due to the nature of how berserk he went we never tried again. We have had him for about a year now. We leave him alone each day (uncrated) and he is fine.

The issue: I went hiking yesterday with 3 friends (about a 5 hour trip). 1 of which Otis knows fairly well (soon to be mother in law) and 2 he has met before. The day was wonderful, he was great off leash. Ran back and forth between the 4 of us on the trail but never out of sight of the first or last person in our little group. I was camping but the other 3 were going home. They offered to walk me to my campsite to make sure there weren't any "trouble makers" there smile So, the 4 of us + Otis walked in to the campsite. Then the 3 of them left, leaving behind Otis and I. He went crazy. He howled/barked/whined and tried desperately to take the trail the 3 of them had taken for over an hour until my fiance came to meet us. And not just whimpering - full fledged, off the wall, you could hear him a mile away desperate barking. He was pulling so hard on his leash that I had tied to a tree because I was having a hard time holding him back that he would literally flip himself over backwards. The whole time I was near him, telling him to sit, petting him, trying to talk in a comforting, calm voice. I tried distracting him by going in the water with him - it sort of worked but not really. The instant we were out of the water he went back to trying to take the path that our 3 "packmates" had taken to leave.

The only other time I noticed anything like this was hiking with a friend for 2 hours. When she got in her car to leave he whined for a few minutes in the car and when we met up again a few minutes later for coffee he ran up to her like she was his long lost owner or something.

What is this? Is this separation anxiety? People will leave our house and this doesn't occur. Maybe it was the new/different environment? It was awful though and I would like to do some backpacking with him but if we ever met up with someone on the trail and then they left him "behind" I don't know what I'd do. In a more public campground than where I was last night I couldn't have him behave like this. If my fiance hadn't come to meet us last night I honestly don't know that Otis would ever have calmed down. I certainly could not have let him go for an instant without him taking off down the trail...

Any ideas about what this was or what caused it or what to do about it? Thanks...
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jul 21 9:14 pm

New to Dogster/Tips & Tricks > Uploaded a picture for avatar but it isn't showing...

Otis

Barked: Mon Jul 2, '12 9:40am PST 
Ok, now instead of the dog/bone cartoon it is a small white rectangle that is a hyperlink to the photo... frown
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Otis, Jul 2 9:40 am

New to Dogster/Tips & Tricks > Uploaded a picture for avatar but it isn't showing...

Otis

Barked: Mon Jul 2, '12 9:39am PST 
The upload page said the image had been uploaded... Does it normally take some time to show up?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Otis, Jul 2 9:40 am

Behavior & Training > Help me enjoy my walks with Otis more :)

Otis

Barked: Mon Jul 2, '12 9:38am PST 
I will (and I do smile ).
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Otis, Jul 2 9:38 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.