Postings by Terrowin -RIP 06.28.2012-

GO!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

Service & Therapy Dogs > So Aggrevated (Rant)
Terrowin- -RIP- 06.28.2012-

I'm a helping- hound. Arooooo

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 6:38pm PST 
I looked up the laws in the area (Missouri) and it's something along the line of "Trainers needs to be an accredited training school for Trainers to have access rights" and I'm not sure if the school is accredited or whatever in that regard or how to find out if it is.

I want to contact someone about what's been happening here because it NEEDS to stop and it needs to stop asap but I don't know who to contact about it. Any help in this area would be much appreciated.

It's unfair what they are doing and it's screwing legit-handlers over. I have a PSD candidate (soon to be in training) and I don't even have access rights with him in Missouri because he's a PSD not a seeing/hearing eye dog or aids with mobility.

I'm just at a loss. My mother, who's paying for my education, doesn't want me to quit and I don't want to quit until I KNOW that someone is doing something to fix the illegal-stuff that's going on here because someone NEEDS to be punished but I just don't know who to call / e-mail about this since the news stations aren't doing anything.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Feb 1 3:24 pm

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 11:31am PST 
I meant "fine line" in the sense of "I HATE fakers but if you insist on being a faker your dog should be the epitome of well-trained so as to not create issues for future LEGIT service teams."

Unfortunately there's a no-discount policy and 20 grand is A LOT of money to go to waste.
Also unfortunately the leader of the school suggested we fake SD's to get access to better train our dogs in places where they wouldn't usually be allowed. It went so far infact that he recommended websites to get vests and "service dog ID's and certifications" (ugh)

If we were learning to train SD's that would be fine but I'm the only person interested in training SD's and I'm the only one here attending the non-required SD lectures.

I tried to educated the other students but they all hate me now because they think I'm being stuck-up. I sent an anonymous e-mail to the two major news channels in the area but the school is such a big deal around here they both messaged me back saying they don't want to mess with it.

I'm just at a loss of what to do. The school itself is REALLY good and very respected. Everything was going great until the other student aka "self-appointed SD expert" started this "I fake an SD to take her on the airplane with me" stuff.

Is there some SD organization or something I can contact about this? Nothing came to my mind but I really feel like someone needs to be informed of what's happening here because it's just not right.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Feb 1 3:24 pm

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 10:58am PST 
I'm currently attending a school for dog trainers and everyone here is faking Service Dogs (and the instructors are encouraging it) so they can take thier dogs / puppies everywhere with them.

I know it's a fine line. The dogs are well-trained and not going to give a bad name to legit service dog owners but it makes me so angry I could just cry about it.

I've dealt with fakers before. I've dealt with them often but to be in a class where 25 people are excited to fake having an SD just drives me crazy. It's been months since my SD Terrowin died and I recently started training a new PSD pup and to deal with people so blatantly faking and not only that faking with choke / prong and e-collars to get their dogs to behave.

I don't understand why people think this is all alright to do and to train them so they can take them on airplanes with them for free.

I'm excited to be in school and to learn to how be a dog trainer. I've interned under various trainers in the past that have pulled the same crap but all these students are out buying fake vests and one of the students is a "SD Expert" and I opted to keep my mouth shut about the whole ordeal because I just don't want to deal them yelling at me about "not being a team player"

Idk guys. I just feel like crying right now and quitting school because of this.

On a different note I know I had a thread about "What breed would work for me" months ago and I decided to go with a Malinois I bought from a working dog breeder. Just in case someone was wondering what breed I went with.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Feb 1 3:24 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Suggestions of breeds for a new PSD ... Can anyone help?

Barked: Wed Sep 12, '12 3:31pm PST 
A few months back I lost my fiancee, Josh and my left-hand man Terrowin in a late-night collision with a drunk driver. I was in the hospital at the time after a surgery on my leg and Josh was bringing Terrowin to be with me for the night. Understandably I've gone back to living with my parents because after the surgery I was physically unable to do everything for myself and mentally ... well that wasn't happening either. I haven't left the house / yard, except to go to the hospital, since then even after I was cleared to drive again.

I miss the freedom I used to have with Terrowin and though I feel absolutely horrid about even thinking about getting another partner I know it can't go on like this. I feel safer at home but I miss being able to go to the library or the store without the fear of something happening and no-one being able to help me. So, (slightly reluctantly) I'm looking for a new breed / mix of breeds to partner with in the coming months.

A little about what I'm looking for:
- Obviously, I'm looking for a PSD.
- I highly prefer larger dogs. We never go out to eat and don't fly / take the bus so "place to put the dog" isn't really an issue.
(I remember someone on here having a Newfi as an SD but I can't remember their name atm frown I was contemplating one and was curious about what they are like as SD's)
- Though I like Poodles I'd prefer a dog that I wouldn't have to bring to the grooming salon to get clipped every few weeks.
- Don't want a "Pit Bull" or Pittie-like dog. I have nothing particularly against them but don't want to make more access problems for myself than necessary.
- I love me a good old Hound Dog.

I don't know. I'm still fairly newish to the SD thing (about 3 years now) and there's a ton of people a lot more experienced than me on these matters and for many of you old timers on the forum ... I respect your opinion on things a lot. I know many people post "What breed should I get topics" but I don't want to "steal" someone's topics with my own questions :/
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Abrams Tank SDiT, Sep 12 8:22 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > And the game changer could be....

Barked: Thu May 3, '12 6:36pm PST 
In my book the English Pointer is tops. I was reluctant about the breed at first but have now vowed to always own at least one.

Granted one of mine is a Service Dog so he's extraordinary anyways but my pet quality one is certainly not lacking in smarts by any means.

Very handler and family focused.
Ridiculously true. I'd go so far as to say they are a bit of a velcro breed. My pair always wants to be with me and although one of them is scared of water he will even go for boat rides with me and have a look of total contentment plastered on his face the whole while.

Very willing to please to the point of being overly soft.
Again, this is too true. My "pet" is a field-trained dog and will chase every things that moves while outside but in an effort to make me happy will actively cuddle with the cats and rabbit inside and will even let my parrot ride on his back.

One of the hardest working out in the field.
absolute natural with ANY game. Both my boys will even retrieve through they aren't bred to do that. All around great hunting buddies.

Adapts to living in the house with ease and house-training will never be easier.
Outside = crazy crazy run run RUN
Inside = Oh you are watching tv? Lets cuddle on the couch for 5 hours.
Both my boys were fully houstrained within about 2.5 - 3 weeks and they weren't "started" on house-training yet before that point.

Awesome off leash and can definitely be boundary trained.
My yard has a three foot fence. My dogs can clear 5ft's with ease and climb up even higher fences. My non-Service Dog escaped one time when he was young and came RIGHT back when I called him. After that NEVER had a problem even when let outside un-supervised and chipmunks race across the yard. I barely if ever have them on the leash when we are out for walks and they both trot nicley alongside my horse of trail rides.

If socialized they shouldn't have a problem with anyone, in fact they're pretty goofy.
Ridiculously Goofy, HUGE lovers. Though my two are very careful of men and if there are any in the house (that aren't usually there) they will be followed closely and will get growled at if they are doing something my dogs don't think they should be doing it.
That being said my brother while drunk was always a little "smack-happy" with me before going to rehab this being the reason my dogs are so protective. They've never been aggressive before though and are even tolerant of kids tugging on their ears or taking food literally out of their mouths while they were eating.

On the downside they are a bit high-ish energy and like any dog they will become destructive if crated or penned up all day. Highly food motivated though making training extremely easy. My boys learn most tricks within 2 or so days.

I recommend English Pointers will all my heart. (For me at least) they are the best dog breed I've ever encountered. Any sorry for the late response on this. I don't look at this forum too often.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Trigger, May 7 6:34 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > How to handle a faker that just doesn't care

Barked: Thu Mar 8, '12 6:41pm PST 
My dog can't demonstrate what he does for me "on cue" either so I wouldn't expect anyone else to do that to prove that an SD is indeed legitamte.

I explained to them the legal penalties but they said something along the lines of,"Right well noones going to believe a crazy person like you". Of course they only said that because Terro's "casual vest" says that he's a pschiatric service dog. I'm a tiney-bit worried about going to the manager about it because I'm afriad they are going to get anti-Service Dog after something like this. In addition to me and my fiancee (he also has a PSD) there is one more family in the complex that has a SD and both me and the fiancee are a little worried that if we speak up about the faker that managment is going to be warry of the legitmate SD's in the complex or any others that may move in....

Thanks for the well-wishes though. I'm going to talk to managment about it but I really want to have my facts straight on the matter. Her dog is a ill-behaved, aggressive little thing and I can't help but wonder if they can legally ban the dog since he has such terrible behavior...
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Mar 12 7:37 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > How to handle a faker that just doesn't care

Barked: Thu Mar 8, '12 5:20pm PST 
I currently live in a great apartment complex that I absolutly love. It only allows cats though and I'm only able to have Terrowin since he's a Service Dog. While walking Terro around the complex two weeks ago I came across another person walking a dog who was wearing a Service Dog vest. They stopped to chat with me and I was absolutly speechless when they openly admited that their dog wasn't really a SD they were just faking so they could live in a nice complex and they could take their dog everywhere

I explained to them the consequences of faking an SD and how it can be detrimental to legit SD teams. They just didn't care! What in the heck do you even say to a person like that? Can I go and file a complaint with the complex manager? Apparently she got "one of those papers from her doctor that said she could bring her dog everywhere" She had made it sound as if the doctor lied just so she could bring her pet everywhere ....
Gah. I just don't understand how people can do this ...
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Mar 12 7:37 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Questions [Thinking about getting an S.D]

Barked: Mon Mar 5, '12 8:30pm PST 
Welcome to Dogster!

I'm going to answer your questions in general terms for now since I'm lacking a bit in time at the moment. First off, location plays a BIG role. Some states give access rights to Service Dogs in Training but others do not. There are a lot of other laws that vary from place to place.

-Does the dog need to be certified?
No. Service animals do not need to be certified.

-Can I train the dog myself?
Yes you can! As the owner of a self-trained PSD I will openly admit that although very rewarding to have done with yourself it is in a sense a full-time job and far from being a walk in the park. If unsure I would suggest working with a knowledgeable trainer from time to time.

-If I can train it, how to I go about being allowed to train the S.D in stores, restaurants, etc.?
Before you even think about going into public make sure your dog knows basic and advanced commands and can preform them consistently in an animal friendly place. Public Access worries are way further down the road.

-Will I be allowed to take my PSD everywhere?
According to your state laws it sounds like you will be able too. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

-If it doesn't have to be certified, how would I prove to someone that it is indeed an SD, with out any certification? Is there any paperwork I could get?
A note from your doctor is your best friend though you don't need to "prove" anything apart from if you were in court.

-If an apartment has a "no pets" rule, then they would have to allow a service animal, correct? And if so, if the dog is in training, is it still allowed?
I would think but I'm not at all sure. I'm from Indiana and though it wouldn't be a problem here I can't say much for Massachusetts.

-Is it better to get the dog from a breeder or shelter?
I think it's a personal preference. Whichever dog clicks with you. I got my PSD from a shelter when he was older the Diabetic Alert Dog I'm training is from a breeder. I honestly don't see a distinction between the two of them.

-You can buy the vests and other S.D equipment online, correct?
You sure can

Hope my jumbled mess of explanations helped some and I hope to see you around the forums!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Holly, Mar 17 11:41 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > What breed do you use, and why?

Barked: Sat Feb 25, '12 9:26pm PST 
In the Case of Terrowin My PSD:

1) Was it a breed you chose yourself?
Not specifically. I knew I wanted some type of hound but I wasn't set on one specifically.

2) Was yours a shelter/rescue who just had the right temperament, and you chose based on that?
Terro came from a hunting dog rescue (Extremely gun-shy that's why he ended up there) Not going to lie I choose based on looks and size first. (I have a thing for big dogs. What can I say) I wasn't at all looking at temperament apart from "Don't bite me don't bite my cats". Terro and me just kinda fit together.

3) Was yours a (re-purposed pet) dog you already had who naturally started alerting, and breed wasn't a factor?
He altered naturally to on-coming Panic Attacks. I was at first just going to use him as a skilled home companion since I would literally cry at the prospect of going anywhere with lots of people (even a store where they were spaced out) but I thought why stop there and after a solid year of training he's now a full-fledged SD and I'm actually able to go out to eat now (something I hadn't done since I was 16)

4) Was yours from a SD program, where you were given the dog best-suited for your needs?
Nope. All owner trained.

5) Other?
I'm only ever using hounds from now on. I just love the dedication these dogs have to their job and they are ready and happy to work every hour of everyday. Smart like the dickens too. I definably agree with Mandi on that!

In the Case of Lief my Mom's DADiT:

1) Was it a breed you chose yourself? Why this one?
Yes he was. My mom and I (though mostly me) choose this breed on account of their wonderful nose, great personality, and die-hard work ethic.

2) Was yours a shelter/rescue who just had the right temperament, and you chose based on that?
Imported from a breeder in Germany. (In all fairness they are extended family). Lief was pick of the litter. Both parents were wonderful hunting dogs in great health with a great personalities so all in all it was the perfect choice for us.

3) Was yours a (re-purposed pet) dog you already had who naturally started alerting, and breed wasn't a factor?
No. He's being all owner trained but me and mom.

4) Was yours from a SD program, where you were given the dog best-suited for your needs?
Nope.

5) Other?
My mom and me never even knew there was such a thing as a Diabetic Alert Dog till I started training my PSD.
Terro, two other dogs and me are currently attending in a four-month dog-trainer school (where we also spend a week covering Service Dog Training!) because I got so into dog-training after working with Terro and Lief.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Mar 5 4:06 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Can places ask to see my dog's Vaccine History?

Barked: Mon Feb 20, '12 5:50pm PST 
I really wish Dogster would tell me if a new post was made while I was typing -.-

Thanks so much Harley. Seeing as how Terro is always wearing his tags and collar then I have nothing to worry about :3
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Feb 22 7:09 am

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.