Postings by Sophie

GO!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

Dog Health > what shampoo do you use and how often do you bathe?
Sophie

A Princess ;)

Barked: Sun Sep 11, '11 10:56am PST 
I use Earthbath products. They're all natural! They're non toxic, paraben free, phthalate free, and phosphate free and they don't have anything artificial.

I bathe Sophie about once a week. Sometimes twice but that's pretty rare - it only happens if she gets super dirty.
[notify]
» There has since been 65 posts. Last posting by Gizmo, Sep 15 3:21 pm

Small Dogs > Tips for starting out with your first small dog?
Sophie

A Princess ;)

Barked: Thu Aug 25, '11 12:41pm PST 
As far as crate training goes, if he sleeps in his crate at night, that's fine. I don't really "keep" my dog in her crate. She sleeps in it if she wants to, other she sleeps with me. She is potty trained though. I wouldn't allow any dog on my bed if he/she has a history of going potty on your bed!

In general potty training works best if your dog is not given full run of the house. Some people like to do crate training. I live in a small-ish place so what I did was just gate off half the house (hallway and bedrooms) and gave Sophie run of the rest of the house. That way she was in a small enough area that I could watch her closely. Some people also keep their dog leashed to them in the house, because then the dog has to follow you everywhere, and you can watch for any potential potty accidents.

Since he's a puppy, try and get him used to lots of things early. Touch him a lot, get him used to grooming, various dogs, people, etc.

Anyway, other small dog tips:
- be firm! I think it's easy to get caught up in the humanizing/"baby" mentality with small dogs. You can pick them up to cuddle them, their poops are small, etc. so it makes it easier to slack off with training, imo.
- watch what you feed. Small dogs can pack on pounds fast and some breeds have a tendency to love food and gain weight quickly. Also, high quality food can help with any potential skin problems, eye problems, hip problems, etc. Some good brands are: Taste of the Wild, Wellness, Blue Buffalo, Canidae, etc.
- use a harness instead of a collar to walk your dog.

I think that's all I can remember off the top of my head. thinking Congrats on a getting a dog! party
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Cooper, Aug 29 11:53 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Low-shedding Around 20-25 pounds?

Sophie

A Princess ;)

Barked: Tue Aug 23, '11 5:38pm PST 
Maybe a Lhasa Apso, they can be close to 20lbs.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Jewel, PCD, Aug 29 12:07 pm

Dog Health > Dentals...is this the norm?

Sophie

A Princess ;)

Barked: Mon Aug 22, '11 8:08pm PST 
Mine goes by age for general wellness exams. Dogs over 7 years are charged more. Dunno about dental work though.

To make you feel better, I paid $365 (incl. bloodwork) on 3 year old, 11lb Sophie. shock
[notify]
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by Skyline, Sep 4 12:24 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Looking into a new dog/puppy.

Sophie

A Princess ;)

Barked: Mon Aug 22, '11 2:50pm PST 
Have you thought about a GSD rescue?

I think gender is probably one of the least important aspects to consider, unless you have a very strong preference and/or you have another dog at home. Supposedly males are more loving and females are more stubborn, however I've seen both qualities in both genders. If you are getting one from a breeder, I would suggest going and checking out the puppies, and seeing which puppy has a personality that's a good fit with you.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Tyler , Aug 22 4:04 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > New Jersey Law lifting 7 day waiting period
Sophie

A Princess ;)

Barked: Mon Aug 22, '11 10:21am PST 
Yikes, that sounds really sad and awful.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Sep 19 7:21 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > How did you guys go about adding another dog to your family?

Sophie

A Princess ;)

Barked: Sun Aug 21, '11 12:24pm PST 
Again, thanks for all the advice! I really appreciate it big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Joey Diego - CGC, Therapy Dog, Aug 21 3:03 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > Pitbulls just lost their licence to exist . . . Premier of Victoria's words.

Sophie

A Princess ;)

Barked: Fri Aug 19, '11 10:19am PST 
So sad.

But this:

"Superintendent Kent says police are trying to work out how the dog got loose.

"I don't mind saying, I hate seeing these dogs walking the streets. They look mean, they usually are," he said."

Ugh.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Lupi, Nov 1 10:59 am

Behavior & Training > groans & grumbles

Sophie

A Princess ;)

Barked: Thu Aug 18, '11 12:04pm PST 
Sophie sighs. A lot.

She groans too. Sometimes when she's stretching, sometimes when you pick her up or move her when she doesn't want to be moved, sometimes when you squish her. It's kind of cute laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Aug 19 12:20 pm

Dog Health > Oh Geez - FLEAS
Sophie

A Princess ;)

Barked: Thu Aug 18, '11 11:59am PST 
It's probably not the end of the world! I too have found the occasional flea/flea excrement on Sophie. I basically spray her down with a flea spray, then give her a bath after a few hours (with her regular shampoo), and wash her bedding. I haven't had to do anything more than that! If you're really worried, you can sprinkle some flea killing powder (whatever it's called) over the carpets and then vacuum. And then throw the bag away.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Sabrina , Sep 4 2:51 pm

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.