Postings by Lily Anne

GO!

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

Behavior & Training > Reactive Dog Support Thread
Lily Anne

Let's play!

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 3:35am PST 
Lily has issues on leash- and Ophelia, it's the same thing, soon as you click on the leash, she becomes mini Cujo shock

I started out with good positive training techniques, desensitizing- used Patricia MConnell's book Fiesty Fido- and was making progress, but slowly. Then in the spring, she seemed to be worse (probably because we slacked off in the winter) and I was having a hard time coordinating a time for the trainer I regularly use to come and re-evaluate her.

So I called someone else and she showed up with a Martingale collar and a spiel about how the prior training made her dependent on food and it was better to use leash corrections. She actually wanted to use a prong- but I said no to that. But...I thought what I'm doing isn't working so let me hear this out. She showed me the technique, and I did give it a go- and initially there was much more control, but I couldn't get past having to constantly correct- and I hated doing it cry And she never stopped the lunging- I was just able to rein her in earlier, but couldn't stand the sound of her voice being choked off by the collar.

Now maybe I didn't really buy into it, and that's why it didn't work, but I have gone back to my original techniques but have added the use of a clicker. I think it was Archer's video I watched that inspired me. So....we are now making really good progress, and I think both of us are happier now smile

The other day, a woman was walking toward us and she came over to talk to me and petted Lily, and Lily was soooo good.... and the woman remarked how she could just tell what a happy dog she was the whole time she was walking toward us. Totally validated that what I am doing now is right- it just takes so darn long to see progress!
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by Smokey, Mar 22 11:18 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > wisdom panel results
Lily Anne

Let's play!

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 7:57pm PST 
I just heard back from Wisdom Panel and they are going to re-do the test- so we shall see!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Lily Anne, Sep 28 7:57 pm

Dog Health > Neutered males may live longer?

Lily Anne

Let's play!

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 7:32pm PST 
Lucille- cancer is very complex, but you're absolutely right that hormones play a large part in many breast cancers and prostate cancer- both very common -it's my field smile. Women and men are often given medications to suppress either estrogen or testosterone- it helps prevent recurrences. Those are some of the things we know...there's a lot we don't know, in both the human and dog world.

Pooch- interesting about infection rates- wonder what the link is there?

Samson- We will probably never have reliable human data on the long term health effects of castration in humans, because for Pete's sake- it is unethical to do this for the sake of science shock The study from the 50's was with mentally retarded people who historically received many unethical procedures... but of course would never be done nowadays- and rightly so! And eunuchs, well, not a lot of human rights going on there, let's hope we'll never have that opportunity again.....but there might be trend worth looking at from that era that we can't replicate in the same way.

Also- you can't do studies on the health effects of castration using cancer patients. First of all, they have have had a cancer diagnosis, and secondly they may have received chemotherapy and/or radiation- all of these can compromise future health. You can't compare them to the general population.

How does this apply to dogs...who we routinely castrate? There may or may not be parallels. Again, we know some things but there are many unanswered questions. I'd like to keep an open mind to anything that might help inform future decisions.

I prefer to neuter and spay, but that's my choice. I grew up in a family of reputable breeders and know first hand what it's like to live with intact animals- from my experience- there was a difference....and as an adult, I like my altered pet animals.

I was reminded of this a year ago when I fostered an intact Lhasa that was in heat and also had a Jack foster who had just been neutered. Oh boy- were they in love.... and it was quite a hot time at my house! Way too many hormones coursing through the air- even my long neutered male was making goo-goo eyes at her. I was never so happy than when she got spayed!

Oh yes, and doing rescue- very few homes that can responsibly keep an intact dog...too many homeless animals from people's irresponsibility.

That said- if there's good evidence supporting significant health differences... I'll probably change my stance. Sanka said it very nicely, every finding starts with a thought. I think it's important to look at possibilities.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Samson, Sep 28 10:44 pm

Dog Health > Neutered males may live longer?

Lily Anne

Let's play!

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 5:50am PST 
Hmmmm....the data on human males living longer is certainly incomplete and the idea of less risk- taking behavior being part of the equation has not been investigated and is a valid point. But with Korean eunuchs, socioeconomic status WAS controlled so while this needs further investigation, I don't think it can be totally discounted. They lived an average of 15 years longer- that is enough of a benefit to make me pay attention. Again, there may be many factors influencing lifespan.

There also was an older study in an institution for mentally retarded where a benefit was found in longevity in the castrated sample. That's a controlled population, but risk taking behavior could still be a part of picture. Still not enough to make a conclusion, but enough to not throw the theory away.

Now I don't see most human males lining up to be castrated in thinking that they might live longer....but it is interesting to think that there may be a parallel in the animal world that can be looked at that we can perhaps eventually use to help guide decisions on what to do with our dogs. Who knows??? And I think that's the idea- we don't really have an answer, just an indication for further study.

Psychology Today had an article on this, maybe not the best source, but there were citations to the original studies if anyone is interested. I don't have a lot of time to investigate this, but would be interested in any info people have!

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-evolving-father/201 209/castrated-males-live-longer
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Samson, Sep 28 10:44 pm

Lily Anne

Let's play!

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 5:11am PST 
There was a lot of mixed breed in Lily's- which I agree answers really nothing. The only definitives were a grandparent on one side was a cocker and a grandparent on the other side was a toy fox terrier. So then the one parent on one side was a cocker mix and on the other side a toy fox terrier mix- but the rest was mixed breed, which was the majority of "pedigree".

I feel this product didn't deliver at all and the technology is not there yet to reliably indicate a breed mix.I know some folks have had plausible results, and part of it is maybe they are building a data base and they have more of a bank of information on some breeds- but for me it was just throwing money away.

But of course I love her no matter what- it's just a matter of curiosity...just like I'd love to know her birthday, and where she came from, and what situation she was in before she was a stray. I think a lot of people are curious about this stuff.

Probably some of the history is best not to know though....because I might have to hurt the person who put her out on the street
shock
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Lily Anne, Sep 28 7:57 pm

Lily Anne

Let's play!

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 5:19pm PST 
Thanks Scruffy for your input. Yeah, really wonder if I wasted fifty bucks on this. I am going to ask them to redo it- but then how reliable is this really?

I'd love to know what breeds Lily is though. None of the 5 breeds I thought would show up did- thought for sure we'd find some Poodle, or Lhasa or Shihtzu or Maltese, or even Tibetan Terrier....but Fox terrier and Cocker ????- having a hard time seeing that.

She has the coolest personality, and it is somewhat terrier like though- if Robin Williams were a dog, he would be Lily laugh out loud Funny, unpredictable, energetic...and just a tad unbalanced in a very endearing way! She greeted me when I came home one day with a dead mouse in her mouth (still warm)....and just pranced around with that poor little thing in her mouth like she was presenting me with the biggest treasure in the world. I didn't know we had mice in the house- still haven't seen any signs of them- but she found one! Quite a little tracker of vermin in the yard too...so terrier, could be?

She is very agile (like a poodle) and can jump from the floor to the back of the couch without any effort. Her hair is very soft, wavy, thick and non- shedding- probably closer to Maltese than anything else. Loves to swim, VERY easy to train. She's a great dog, whatever she is!

shrugway to go
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Lily Anne, Sep 28 7:57 pm

Small Dogs > What Breeds is Yankee?

Lily Anne

Let's play!

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '12 4:11pm PST 
No expert here- but definitely see Bichon, maybe a little Maltese in the one shot of the profile of his muzzle. I would post him as a Bichon mix and let people know it is your best guess. I also find when I do contracts for dogs with the rescue I volunteer with, that people can get kind of hung up on the breed mix. BUT- if you frame it the right way and tell them you really aren't sure and then emphasize that they are a great dog even if we don't know who their momma and daddy are....there isn't an issue. People who adopt a rescue dog are generally willing to accept that.

It's probably a good thing you're in Utah- because he is a real cutie and one I could envision on my couch! Good luck with him cheer
[notify]
» There has since been -1 posts. Last posting by Lily Anne, Sep 22 4:11 pm

Grooming > Breeder said she uses Bath and Body Works body wash for her pups...?

Lily Anne

Let's play!

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '12 3:23pm PST 
Thanks for the responses- I started grooming my dogs myself about 8 months ago and it's going fairly well- they're not perfect, and it's a work in progress big grin...but they're very good on the table and that helps!
I'm going try the Pantene, and see if I can find out what pH Bath and Body Works are. if I do, I'll post the info.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Oct 29 7:41 pm

Grooming > Breeder said she uses Bath and Body Works body wash for her pups...?

Lily Anne

Let's play!

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 4:46pm PST 
What pH range are you looking for in a dog shampoo? I'd like to try some different products.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Oct 29 7:41 pm

Lily Anne

Let's play!

Barked: Sat Sep 15, '12 1:36am PST 
Lily's wisdom panel results are in and it says she is a cross between a Toy Fox Terrier mix and a Cocker Spaniel mix. Half of the ancestry was listed as mixed breed. No other breeds identified.

I don't know about this- she has hair, not fur and does not shed at all. I can sort of see some of the traits of these breeds in her, and I know anything can happen when you start mixing breeds, but it doesn't seem right.

Half of her profile was listed as mixed breed though so that can explain her coat not fitting with either breed...so I don't feel I really have any answers. Kind of fun to do but the results feel somewhat vague.

What experiences have people had? I remember reading int he past that some have requested retests, was that better?
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Lily Anne, Sep 28 7:57 pm

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.