Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Service & Therapy Dogs > PSD programs & help for PSD owner-trainers, version 3
U

I miss you, U

Barked: Sat Mar 23, '13 11:07pm PST 
Thanks, Charlie!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Mar 23 11:07 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Reason enough for a Psychiatric Service Dog?
U

I miss you, U

Barked: Thu Jul 19, '12 10:58am PST 
Hi Sophie, from a fellow mood disorder sufferer (I have bipolar 1). I hope you will take my comments in the spirit in which they are offered as they are somewhat off-topic from the question you asked. Your condition sounds worrisome to me, and I hope you are under regular care from a therapist and/or psychiatrist. Meds can mask acute feelings of depression even though it might still be occurring (at least that happens to me). The hypersomnia and apathy you are experiencing both sound like they could be symptoms of depression. And it is possible for meds themselves to cause side effect like those, too - for instance, if I am on too high a dose of Depakote it can make need up to 16 hours of sleep per day. So if you are on meds you really need to talk to a psychiatrist about the symptoms/possible side effects that you are having. And if you're not on meds already, it's possible that some might help.

Don't get me wrong, service dogs can absolutely be a legit way of dealing with mood disorders. But if you have other things going on they need to be dealt with first. For instance, if you are sleepy and groggy from excess medication, it is not going to do you any good to have a dog wake you up frequently; you will still be sleepy and groggy, if you see my point.

So please see your doctor(s) and try to get to the root of what's going on with you right now and then think about an SD once your situation is more stable.

I hope that helps. Best of luck to you, and I hope you will stick around and keep us posted on how things go for you.

- NoNameYet
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jul 20 11:15 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > New to the Forum and Have Lots of Questions :)

U

I miss you, U

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 3:05pm PST 
Secondly, how do you know that most people with a mental illness are not disabled?

You can't honestly believe that no one has ever studied this issue before. After all, it's of great economic importance to our country.

Fact: 57.7 million - one in four - Americans experience a serious mental illness in any given year. (Source: Kessler RC, Chiu WT, Demler O, Walters EE. Prevalence, severity, and comorbidity of twelve-month DSM-IV disorders in the National Comorbidity Survey Replication (NCS-R). Archives of General Psychiatry, 2005 Jun;62(6):617-27.)

Fact: 13.5 million Americans meet the ADA criteria for mental illness. This is about 23% of all people with mental illness. This is based on self-report of symptoms, NOT on diagnosis by a clinician. (Source: US Census Bureau, Latest U.S. Disability Statistics and Facts, 7/26/2011)

Fact: Around 4 million Americans are receiving some form of disability income (for instance, SSI or SSDI) for mental disorders. This is about 7% of all people with mental illness. (Source: National Alliance on Mental Illness, US State Data on Disability Income, Housing Costs and People with Mental Illness, 10/7/2010)

This is all pretty much common sense, isn't it? After all, not everyone with a physical problem is disabled by it, so why assume that mental illness is any different?

- NoNameYet
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jul 18 4:32 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Best Vest For A Small Dog

U

I miss you, U

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 1:51pm PST 
My bad. It does sound like you were completely honest with your therapist when you showed her that it was less important to you to get better than it was for you to loan your guinea pig cage to your friend. I can see how this could be a legitimate reason to fire you.

But this topic has gotten way off-track at this point and I apologize for having contributed to that.

- NoNameYet
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Jul 19 8:55 am

U

I miss you, U

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 12:27pm PST 
she told me I had to find some other place to go because she couldn't handle my issues.

I don't believe that. It absolutely does not sound like any therapist I have ever heard of, and I have seen more psychologists and psychiatrists than I can count over the last 30 years.

Now if she told you that you had to be honest with her or else you were fired, that I could believe.

- NoNameYet
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by , Jul 19 8:55 am

U

I miss you, U

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 11:19am PST 
If anyone would be interested, I'd be happy to make a video showing how well Bella is trained with her public access stuff

I would be interested in seeing a video.

Good for you for pursuing a CGC test, too.

- NoNameYet
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by , Jul 19 8:55 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Enough time for this?

U

I miss you, U

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 10:45am PST 
Different laws cover school access vs. public access (i.e. stores, restaurants). Contact your school's disability services office NOW and find out what you need to do to request accommodations. It may be that you are getting far too late a start on the process for this year.

Another thing: Arizona's SDiT law does not cover schools. So your dog would need to be ready to graduate to full SD now to make this work.

Finally: mental illnesses are very awful and debilitating (I should know, I have several) but they are most often not disabling. Unless I am mistaking you it sounds like you decided on your own that you are disabled without ever having tried any consistent course of treatment (therapy, medication, desensitization). Most people's MI are manageable with standard treatments like those. So do not be surprised if this doctor you are going to see wants you to try one or more standard treatments before recommending an SD.

I know that's probably not what you wanted to hear but I hope it is helpful nonetheless.

- NoNameYet
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jul 18 4:42 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Service dog groups for those who self train

U

I miss you, U

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 9:33am PST 
The training levels group on Yahoo is completely awesome - not SD specific but there's a fair amount of SD info there. This group is ok for general support though it doesn't go into the mechanics of training very much. And I really like Please Don't Pet Me (http://pleasedontpetme.com) - be aware that they have both forums and a Facebook page; there's more discussion of training on the forums. Like this group PDPM is mostly though not entirely OTs. Hope to be seeing you around!

- NoNameYet
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jul 19 4:11 pm

U

I miss you, U

Barked: Tue Jul 17, '12 5:14pm PST 
I think CGC stands for canine good citizen?

Yes. Most SD handlers choose to have their dogs take and pass a CGC before beginning public access work.

http://www.akc.org/events/cgc/

- NoNameYet
[notify]
» There has since been 28 posts. Last posting by , Jul 19 8:55 am

U

I miss you, U

Barked: Tue Jul 17, '12 4:46pm PST 
@Dingo - no problem; I just wanted to clarify what you'd said.

@Guest - training "going really fast" might be six months from beginning work to until a dog is ready for public access; it's definitely not just two weeks. It sounds like your expectations are not realistic.

- NoNameYet
[notify]
» There has since been 29 posts. Last posting by , Jul 19 8:55 am

(Page 1 of 35: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.