Postings by Aidan, CGC

GO!

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

Service & Therapy Dogs > For those of you that use the train (specifically subway)
Aidan, CGC

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 8:14pm PST 
I ride the subway daily with Sienna. I don't think she had any specific training with it, but she is totally cool on the train. If you can stand the best thing to do is to squish your dog in a heel between your legs and a wall or closed car door. They may feel more comfortable standing on the moving platform, or lying down (Sienna doesn't like to sit on the train, it is hard for her to balance). The noise is actually worst while in the station, not on the train itself, so maybe practice watching the trains from afar first?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Aidan, CGC, Jul 9 8:14 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Do you tell people your SD's name?
Aidan, CGC

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 9:11pm PST 
When I give a command to my SD Sienna I use a certain inflection or use her nickname to do so. So it's "SEEE-enna, sit." or "Sen, sit." When I use her name pronounced normally, it's usually just to love on her or tell her that she's silly. So when I tell people her name and they repeat it in a normal way, she knows she's not being issued a command and will usually ignore them.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, May 24 4:01 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Telling stores/restaraunts you're bringing your SDiT in advance

Aidan, CGC

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 9:06pm PST 
I never called a place in advance when I was training Aidan. When I went into places with my trainer, if we had any questions, the trainer would step up and deal with them, while I stood back and continued to focus on Aidan.

The only time we ever let people know we were coming was when I was with my new SD in team training. The program director called ahead and let them know. And that's only because we had 10 dogs and some 20 people coming in all at once to each place!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, May 24 3:58 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Chaplin was just attacked by another dog need hugs support and recommendations

Aidan, CGC

Barked: Sat May 11, '13 6:46am PST 
My SD was attacked by a loose dog about a week after bringing her home from her program. There was no immediate damage, but there were a few weeks after where she began to get upset when she saw other dogs. I began carrying treats with me and giving her major jackpots when we passed other dogs on the streets or other service dogs in stores. She still occasionally gets a little nervous, but I can get her to focus back on me very quickly now even in those instances.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Polly, Jun 9 12:30 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Bella Was So Good!

Aidan, CGC

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 3:46pm PST 
Does she itch a lot at home? Excessive scratching can be a sign of stress. If she's just doing it in public, it could be a sign she's not as relaxed as you may think. Aidan is that way, when he's not sure about something the first thing he'll do is scratch a lot.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Nov 28 5:25 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Service Dog Applications?
Aidan, CGC

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 8:27pm PST 
I would fill them both out! Most SD applications have a section that asks what other organizations you've applied to, so I think they assume you're not going to put all your eggs in one basket. Also, with such long wait lists, it's much better to apply earlier rather than later. Some programs take a while to get back to you, and that's time you could have spent on another waitlist!

I only applied to one, but I was fairly certain they'd take me since it's not a huge program and I fit well in their parameters.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Oct 27 9:05 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Has anyone heard of DOGWISH INC. service dogs?

Aidan, CGC

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 5:44pm PST 
I have never heard of them, but there are some scary things on the website.

"This last fall we placed a 120 pound female Cane Corso DOGWISH Service Dog into a full time enrollment in a public school with a 6 year old 65 pound little girl, with autism. She had to get onto a School Bus, attach the dog to a seat belt, ride to school, un attach the dog, get off the bus by herself, take the dog into the School property, and go to the play ground and classroom with her dog, all by herself, without any help."

A Cane Corso attached to a 6 year old? Eek!

They are also training service dogs that "protect" as a task, which is not entirely legal.

Most of the dog breeds they're training have very strong protective instincts...

I would be a little worried...I haven't looked at the whole site but from what I've seen so far it's shooting up some red flags.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Apr 26 6:13 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Rigid bridge handle vs. soft bridge handle?

Aidan, CGC

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '12 6:23pm PST 
Hey guys!

I was wondering if anyone here uses a rigid bridge handle or guide dog style handle for a non-guide service dog? Are there any benefits from using a rigid bridge as opposed to a soft bridge handle? I'm not talking about the handles that stand straight up for mobility, but the kind that you can clip to a vest/harness but still remain in a "U" shape.

My SD is going to be trained in a task called "lead to wall/chair" which is to lead me out of a crowd and to a safe place where I won't be trampled if I suddenly loose consciousness when I am experiencing tunnel vision and am in a daze. He is also going to provide counterbalance and forward momentum.

Obviously I'm going to ask these questions to my program when I go to team training but I am curious and want to know what yall think.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Rest in Paradise Voltaire. 1/1, Aug 30 8:40 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Do you use an "over the shoulder" leash?

Aidan, CGC

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 7:54pm PST 
I've never had a problem with workingservicedogs: fast shipping, everything to the specifications I wanted. That being said, I actually bought that 7 ft. OTS leash for Aidan. I thought I would need a longer one since he is a short dog. It is VERY long, too long, and the hardware is very heavy and meant for a much larger dog. The section that goes over the shoulder is much too long (the "loop" hung down to my knees!) and there isn't a smaller setting, so I found I couldn't use it, it was just too awkward! Definitely gonna go with a different style next time.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Max-SD, Oct 5 1:42 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Is this a legit reason for a service dog?
Aidan, CGC

Barked: Tue Aug 14, '12 5:48pm PST 
A dog as small as Decker shouldn't be used for any mobility work. You could really hurt him using him to break your falls. Dogs used for mobility are most often very large, sturdy breeds. Even then, most mobility dogs are used for bracing and counterbalance, not for breaking falls or applying constant pressure as you would a cane or walker.

Also it says in his profile that he is very afraid of kids. It takes a very stable dog to be a SD. Working a dog that is fearful will make life a lot harder for both you and the dog, I wouldn't recommend it.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Jack, Aug 15 4:16 pm

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.