Postings by Amber

GO!

(Page 1 of 21: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > Not quite herself after being sick
Amber

All the world's- a playground!

Barked: Tue Mar 31, '15 10:18pm PST 
I wouldn't wait until Saturday, you need to get her to your regular vet first thing tomorrow. What did the emergency vet say? Maybe it's parvo? Some foreign object she may have swallowed and it's inside her stomach or intestines?
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Kali earned her wings 10/21/14, Today 4:00 am

New to Dogster/Tips & Tricks > Hi! I'm Odd Otis!
Amber

Barked: Tue Mar 17, '15 8:34pm PST 
Hi, Otis! wave Welcome to Dogster! welcome
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Amber, Mar 17 8:34 pm

Who's Feeling Silly? > Phrase Game

Amber

Barked: Thu Mar 12, '15 2:48pm PST 
No man is an island

blue dog
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by JerryLee, Tue 6:22 am

Food & Nutrition > Common Pet Food Myths

Amber

Barked: Tue Mar 10, '15 9:04am PST 
The following article was published in our local shelter's newsletter (of which I am the editor). Dr. Blakeley writes articles for our newsletter. This article is something to consider when you are buying your dog's food.

"EXPOSING THE TOP 3 COMMON PET FOOD MYTHS
Karen Blakeley DVM, MPH
All Pets Veterinary Clinic, Macomb IL

The pet food market has exploded within the last several years and the shelves are lined with new foods that tout that they are superior to their competitors based on various claims. The following article will explore the three most common myths in pet food advertising. Are you a victim of clever pet food advertising and marketing?

1. MYTH 1: GRAIN IS BAD/PETS NEED GRAIN FREE FOOD. While no, you should not feed your pet a diet that contains a majority of grains, grain free is not a necessity for most pets. The recent increase in the awareness of gluten allergies in people and the relationship between carbohydrate excess and obesity in people are partially to blame for the push for grain free diets in pets. Corn and wheat are the most common grains that have been demonized by pet food advertising campaigns so now, many consumers falsely believe that these things are bad for their pets. The truth is corn and wheat are only bad for your pet if your pet is allergic to these items. And only a small percentage of animals are actually allergic to corn and wheat. In limited quantities, certain grains add a lot of micronutrients to the diet such as Vitamin B, phosphorus, magnesium, and fiber. Additionally, some grains contain powerful antioxidants. Diets that lack some grain source may predispose pets to constipation problems and some urinary tract stones.
2. MYTH 2: MEAT IS THE FIRST INGREDIENT ON THE LIST SO THIS IS A SUPERIOR PET DIET or THIS FOOD HAS A HIGHER PROTEIN PERCENT THAN ANOTHER FOOD SO IT IS CLEARLY SUPERIOR.
It is true that ingredients must be listed by weight on a label. However, the weight of an ingredient can be heavily skewed by water. Since many meats are high in water content they may weigh more than the other ingredients, such as grains, on the list, thus allowing them to be listed first. A simple calculation to determine the dry matter basis of each ingredient will allow for an equal comparison of ingredients. You cannot compare label percentages of two foods unless they have the same moisture content or they are listed as DMB or dry matter basis. For example, if food A says 25% protein with 40% moisture and food B says 30% protein with 20% moisture you would assume that Food B is better. When you do the dry matter basis calculation DMB= 100 x (% ingredient / 100-% moisture) Food A is 41.2% and food B is 37.5% protein. Thus, food A actually has more protein. It is also important to note that for some conditions, such as kidney failure, higher protein diets are actually a bad thing for the pet.
3. MYTH 3: MY PET FOOD IS BETTER BECAUSE IT SAYS “NATURAL,” “ORGANIC,” “PREMIUM,” “SUPER PREMIUM,” or “ULTRA-PREMIUM.” The truth is current labeling laws for pet food do not define certain standards or requirements that deem a food premium, super premium, or ultra-premium. Thus, a food manufacturer can list any of these terms at any time. Additionally, there are no requirements for a food to be called natural or organic. There is no certification process in place for a pet food to be deemed as organic. Thus it is possible and probably even likely for a pet food that is labelled as organic to contain at least some ingredients that have not have been raised using organic techniques. And there are no consumer protections or watchdogs to verify their claim."
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Toto, CD, RN, CGC, Mar 11 4:10 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Rest in peace, Mia

Amber

Barked: Thu Mar 5, '15 8:49pm PST 
Mia looks like a sweetheart. We know how much you miss her. cloud 9

You're in our prayers.
hughughug
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Kali earned her wings 10/21/14, Mar 8 10:35 am

Raw Food Diet > Are there any mods left on this website?
Amber

Barked: Thu Mar 5, '15 7:33pm PST 
There are only 2 Catster moderators patrolling both the Dogster/Catster forums. If you need to contact a moderator, please pmail me. My good Catster friend and moderator, Ben, does not have any dogs in his family so if he posts on Dogster he shows up as a Guest.

The Catster mods have been the only moderators here for over a year now and we have no inside info regarding what's happening. All we can do is flag a post. That takes the offending post off and puts up the "bath" post in the forum. I can remove the offending and bath post by unpublishing it but sometimes the "bath" post needs to stay up for the Dogster admins to check out the offending member (or guest).

I've been on Dogster even before there were forums. It's so frustrating to see them deteriorate and we, as moderators, can't do anything to make it right again. This past summer Ben and I spent hours and hours trying to flag the spam, most of the time new spam popped up as quickly as we removed another one. Finally that has stopped but with the time and date on the posts not working it's hard to know what's new and what's an old post popping back up.

Like I said, we don't know anything more than you do, but if you need to contact a moderator, pmail me, anytime.
» There has since been 24 posts. Last posting by Mulder, Today 6:49 pm

Dog Health > Kidney Failure

Amber

Barked: Sun Mar 1, '15 3:54pm PST 
Thank you, everyone for your kind help. Dibbles was helped to the Bridge yesterday, February 28th. rainbow

Dibbles' (a Beagle/Lab mix) Mom found her as a stray about 15 years ago, making her at least 17 years old. She welcomed me every time I came to visit with my Mom and we would walk together in her yard. She was reserved with my Mom until Mom sat on the floor to pet and talk with her. After that Mom was accepted and they grew quite fond of each other. The other night when we came to visit, Dibbles very slowly came up to Mom who got down on the floor to pet her. Dib stood with her head down as Mom talked to her. She was telling Mom good bye.

They buried Dibbles in their backyard. In the summer she will be surrounded by flowers.
flowersflowersflowersflowersflowersflowersflowersflowersflowersflowers

Mom's eyes are leaking again. We love you, Dibbles!!!!!
hughug
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Jasper, Mar 3 4:17 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Penny Is Lost

Amber

Barked: Wed Feb 25, '15 9:06am PST 
Looking through my local animal shelter's Lost & Found I came across this lost dog. Penny's owner has been searching for her Jack Russell for 2 years and will not give up. She created a Facebook page. I thought our Dogster members can keep a lookout for Penny.

https://www.facebook.com/BringPennyHome

hug
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Amber, Feb 25 9:06 am

Food & Nutrition > New puppy and can't afford raw

Amber

Barked: Thu Feb 5, '15 1:00pm PST 
The original question was what is the best food that can be bought from Walmart?

And any treats and chews that are good?

thinking
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mulder, Feb 5 5:51 pm

Dog Health > Kidney Failure
Amber

Barked: Sat Jan 3, '15 9:30pm PST 
Thank you Koby and Scruffy. I'll pass the info on to Dibbles' mom.

If anyone else has any input please post.
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Jasper, Mar 3 4:17 pm

(Page 1 of 21: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.