Postings by Dino

GO!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Choosing the Right Dog > You shouldn't get a _____ if ______.
Dino

Buddha Dog

Barked: Fri Jun 14, '13 7:30pm PST 
You shouldn't get a Tibetan Spaniel if:
- You want to ever walk your dog off-leash.
- You want an obedient dog.
- You want a dog who will learn commands quickly. Or learn commands at all.
- You want a dog who thinks that YOU know what's best.
- You want a dog who will exercise for more than 15 minutes in hot weather.
- You want a dog that is like a dog, and not a cat-like dog.

You should get a Tibetan Spaniel if you like cats. And if you enjoy fuzzy, cute, headstrong animals who are cuddly, entertaining and laid-back.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Arya, Jul 7 9:29 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Help with future breed match
Dino

Buddha Dog

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 3:08pm PST 
Tibetan Spaniels are pretty awesome little dogs. Ours is about 18 pounds but seems larger. He does not bark often, although he is a good watchdog.
Our Tibbie loves everyone in our family and doesn't want to be apart from us. His favorite things to do are sleep with us, take walks and play with our other dog, who is a Shih Tzu.
Our Tibbie is a bit stubborn and can't be trusted off-leash.
He wasn't too difficult to find, but we did seek out a good, top breeder. You can PM me for more info, or check out breeders on the Tibetan Spaniel Club of America website.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Dino, Jan 25 3:08 pm

Behavior & Training > Dog Park Pet Peeves

Dino

Buddha Dog

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 4:58pm PST 
I echo a few of these: children in dog parks, not picking up poop and inattentive owners. But all three of these are pet peeves in on- or off-leash park settings. It's amazing to me how many parents will let their toddlers run up to my dogs, screaming, as we walk. My dogs are small, fluffy and cute, so I get why kids want to touch them. I don't understand parents who just let their kids run up to strange dogs, though.

However, I think we are pretty lucky here in my city. We have lots of dog parks and almost all of them have separate areas for small dogs - and thankfully, we've only had good experiences at the dog parks. We have a Tibetan Spaniel and a Shih Tzu and they enjoy hanging out at the park with their small friends.
[notify]
» There has since been 36 posts. Last posting by Opheila, May 31 8:10 pm

Behavior & Training > Gunther's Recall Crashed and Burned...

Dino

Buddha Dog

Barked: Mon Dec 24, '12 7:46pm PST 
Gunther looks so much like our Shih Tzu named Gigi!

Sorry you had this experience with him. I'm finding that Gigi is very, very obedient -- even at 9 months old.

Our Tibetan Spaniel, who is pictured in the profile pic, is another story. He is two and we have taken him to classes and private training. His recall is poor despite constant reinforcement. We knew this about the breed, that they are willful and stubborn -- but I have come to realize that he can never be off leash outside of our fenced backyard or fenced dog park (and even in the dog park I hover around the entrance, in case he tries to dart out when someone exits or enters).
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kato, Dec 25 10:05 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Lowchens and other non-toy companion breeds

Dino

Buddha Dog

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 1:15pm PST 
Tibetan Spaniels are great dogs but I would never describe them as "biddable" (at least not mine). Our dog is very loving and fun to be around. But he can never be let off the leash and he is not great about coming when called -- even though we have taken him to classes and training. We have a fenced in yard so he gets plenty of outdoor time in addition to leashed walks, but if he wants something he will not let go of the idea.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Savannah Blue Belle, Nov 12 9:32 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Lowchens and other non-toy companion breeds
Dino

Buddha Dog

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 1:15pm PST 
Tibetan Spaniels are great dogs but I would never describe them as "biddable" (at least not mine). Our dog is very loving and fun to be around. But he can never be let off the leash and he is not great about coming when called -- even though we have taken him to classes and training. We have a fenced in yard so he gets plenty of outdoor time in addition to leashed walks, but if he wants something he will not let go of the idea.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Savannah Blue Belle, Nov 12 9:32 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Small dogs that fit my criteria?

Dino

Buddha Dog

Barked: Thu May 10, '12 7:55pm PST 
I have a purebred Tibetan Spaniel. He does fit your criteria, sort of! laugh out loud

Dino is 14 months old. He was housebroken when he came to us from the breeder, we've never had a problem with him going inside. He knows the names of toys, knows the name of my husband and of our kitty.

But. (and this is the big "but" for some people). He is VERY stubborn and refuses to listen to the vast majority of our commands. He sometimes looks at me as if he has never met me. Maybe this is a puppy thing, but from the Tibbie owners I've spoken with, I don't think so.

If you like cats (like we do) you will love a Tibbie.

If you want an obedient dog who lives to please, a Tibbie is not your dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Remmy, May 12 6:53 am

Dog Health > How much exercise?

Dino

Buddha Dog

Barked: Sun Apr 15, '12 7:32am PST 
Dino is a small (17 pound) Tibetan Spaniel. My husband and I aim for 30-45 minutes of walking/dogpark in the morning and an hour at night, with a couple of afternoon bathroom breaks in the backyard. After 45 minutes to an hour -- sometimes less if he's really running around a lot -- he's exhausted and panting.

It's getting pretty hot during the daytime in Florida and since he has a small snout, mid-day activity isn't the most pleasant for him.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Keeva, Apr 15 6:29 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Do you, or have you ever, regretted choosing your dog?

Dino

Buddha Dog

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '12 9:29am PST 
No regrets here. Dino is the perfect dog for our laid-back lifestyle. He's like a starter dog for people like us who have only owned cats previously: he naps a lot, he's very independent, he has bursts of energy followed by calm. I'm really happy we did the research and found a generally non-destructive dog who doesn't drool or bark much. We don't mind that his breed isn't super obedient, he's just good fun to have around.

I'd love to get a second Tibetan Spaniel!
[notify]
» There has since been 25 posts. Last posting by Kashmir ♥ CGC, Aug 10 9:29 am

Puppy Place > Flying with a puppy
Dino

Buddha Dog

Barked: Wed Apr 4, '12 12:12pm PST 
I flew from NY to Florida with my new puppy in a carry-on case. Granted, it's only three hours or so in-flight, but longer if you count check in and security.

Our pup was 14 weeks old and he did wonderfully. He was (and is) a fairly small dog (Tibetan Spaniel) so he was able to fit underneath my seat without a problem.

He did not utter a peep from the time we got into the airport until we got home. I'm not sure if all puppies are like this, but he slept deeply through the whole flight. I put a little pee pad in the carrier in case he needed to use it but he didn't.

I wouldn't hesitate to take him on a flight if I had to now that he is full-grown.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Courtney , Apr 8 1:44 pm

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.