GO!

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

Raw Food Diet > Blockage in small intestine... vet blames the meat... of course!
Bella &- Cougar

Barked: Fri Nov 8, '13 12:00pm PST 
Hi there!

I've been feeding raw for quite awhile and haven't had any major problems arise and hopefully won't. However, my dog had a blockage between the stomach and small intestine which required surgery two days ago. The blockage was a piece of rawhide and following it was a piece of undigested meat. My vet made a huge ordeal about how awful it was when she removed it, that it was decaying inside his body, and extremely toxic. That meat was blocked by the rawhide.

I'm just wondering... wouldn't a similar scenario have played out even if it had been kibble? It still would have been blocked and it still would have been undigested and disgusting!

What are anyone's opinions on this? I'll still continue to feed raw, but I guess I just need a little reassurance that I didn't harm him (more) because of feeding raw instead of kibble where it applies to this situation.

THANKS! smile
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Nov 11 7:18 am

Raw Food Diet > Too much fat in blood... high cholesterol?
Bella &- Cougar

Barked: Thu Aug 22, '13 6:51pm PST 
No, she was not fasted. She ate about an hour and a half before! And it wasn't scheduled. I took her in for grooming and it was time for her yearly vaccinations.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Aug 28 5:05 pm

Raw Food Diet > Too much fat in blood... high cholesterol?

Bella &- Cougar

Barked: Thu Aug 22, '13 3:28pm PST 
My vet did wellness blood work yesterday and I was told that Bella's blood was difficult to pull and/or spin? Something along those lines, but that it was due to fat in the blood. They did not use the term "high cholesterol" but that is basically what it means, correct? Anyway, it was suggested that I might need to change her diet to one lower in fat. I'm really not sure what to say or do about this, because I refuse to change her back to kibble unless that truly is what becomes best for her. Any suggestions? She currently eats whole ground chicken.. she won't eat bones for some reason, just eats OFF of them, a good bit of pork (higher in fat, I know), beef, tripe, organs, beef heart, lung, etc. A pretty decent variety in my opinion.

Anyone else been told this? What kind of changes should I make, if any? Her levels were normal.. don't know if they test for high cholesterol, but they didn't say anything was high. Just that her blood was difficult to pull and or/spin.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Aug 28 5:05 pm

Raw Food Diet > Starting raw with a dog in kidney failure?

Bella &- Cougar

Barked: Tue Jun 11, '13 6:24pm PST 
Thanks, Maxwell! I have looked at that website and it definitely contains TONS of great info, which is both great and overwhelming. I probably should be more aware of the data for my dogs, but I just generally control the organ amount to 10% and watch the poop for the rest! So, helping my mother get started on a plan that is so precise with numbers is scary.
- What would you suggest to start out a dog on raw with this condition? I am not certain of how advanced the disease is, but let's just guess that it's pretty advanced, as he is VERY skinny, but still acting normal, aside from not having much appetite. Use bone or no bone at first? Just chicken? Or add some veggies/carbs? Wait to add tripe? Definitely want to go slow, but just unsure of how to get started to make the transition as easy as possible.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jun 11 8:41 pm

Bella &- Cougar

Barked: Tue Jun 11, '13 3:12pm PST 
Thanks for the input!

After doing MORE research, I've found that a low protein diet is suggested (though just helps to make them feel better, but doesn't necessarily extend their life) for dogs with BUN over 80 and creatinine over 4. I don't remember the units, sorry! His levels were 71 for BUN and 3.7 for creatinine. Also, that the amount of bone should be very limited to actually not included at all. So, with that said, and for informational purposes at this time:
1) What types of raw food would be considered low protein? Would any of you even recommend going low protein?
2) What types of food or supplements would be suggested to use in place of bone?
3) Also, how can I add calories to put weight on him (assuming he'll even eat)?
4) What are some low phosphorus foods? Organs are supposedly high in phosphorus, so how do you incorporate those?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jun 11 8:41 pm

Bella &- Cougar

Barked: Tue Jun 11, '13 11:18am PST 
I have been feeding my dogs raw for quite some time, so my questions will be geared toward information for my mother's dog.

She has recently found out that her 8 year old lab is in kidney failure, which means at this point, the damage is done and will only get worse. He has lost a lot of weight and is very skinny. He also isn't interested in kibble, unless it is mixed with wet food. I suggested to her that she start feeding him raw, as I did SOME research and found that some dogs levels with blood tests actually begin to look better with raw.

My question is: with him being so slim already, how would you go about changing him to raw and does anyone have any experience with raw and kidney failure? I had a dog who was skin and bones when I got him and I put him on raw and he actually LOST weight within the first two weeks, so that's why I'm wondering about beginning this dog. Would anyone suggest giving kibble and raw? Of course the vet gave my mother the prescription kibble.

Thanks all!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jun 11 8:41 pm

Raw Food Diet > Recommended Probiotics

Bella &- Cougar

Barked: Tue Apr 16, '13 8:29pm PST 
Wow! So many responses!

My dog was having runny poo frequently, even when adding more bone. I was at a loss trying to determine what to do. I have since come to the conclusion that it is possibly him not adequately chewing the bone, as was suggested. I reached this based on adding a little bit of whole ground each day. Now, it's normal poo.

Regarding green tripe - I feed him that regularly and can't say I've noticed a difference either way regarding digestion. I get it online from Hare Today. I've also gotten it from My Pet Carnivore. Both are typically about $30 for shipping, but I get a lot of other things which fill the box.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Apr 16 8:29 pm

Raw Food Diet > Recommended Probiotics

Bella &- Cougar

Barked: Fri Apr 12, '13 3:24pm PST 
What are anyone's probiotic of choice for their dogs? I've used FortiFlora from the vet, but never noticed a difference.
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by , Apr 16 8:29 pm

Raw Food Diet > Do I need to supplement organs with whole ground?

Bella &- Cougar

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 7:53am PST 
I am currently feeding my finicky schnauzer whole ground from MPC. She has never been that into food, though more so with raw. However, she would often NOT eat the bone in chicken, but sometimes would, and would occasionally eat the organs, but not regularly, no matter how I gave them to her - frozen, cooked, etc. So, I decided to try feeding her whole ground that I had for my sick cat and I have a lot left over. This has been the best idea! Not ideal since it's ground, but still seems better than kibble. She will eat the meat off of beef ribs and things like that for teeth cleaning, but my concern was she was not actually getting all of the necessary nutrients since she wasn't eating the bone or organs, so that's why I made the switch.

Anyway, her poop has never looked better! It's PERFECT!! But, while the container says "whole ground," it clearly is not the actual whole animal since it's only a 1 or 2 pound container. Do I need to supplement her with additional organs?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Apr 6 8:05 am

Raw Food Diet > New Edible Bone Source?
Bella &- Cougar

Barked: Mon Mar 25, '13 7:51pm PST 
I haven't gotten turkey necks in awhile, but would they be too much bone for a 57 lb dog? He gets 13-16oz of food per day... I don't insist that it's right on the dot each day.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Mar 30 12:32 am

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.