GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Behavior & Training > First time dog owner : Getting several puppies, bad idea?
Jinx

Koala Bear

Barked: Mon Dec 9, '13 6:53am PST 
Yeah, I agree with everyone up top- ESPECIALLY with the large working breeds! I brought home two Chihuahua puppies from the same litter, Jinx here and Rinoa, and while I don't regret it one bit, I won't be bringing two home at the same time again. It was a LOT of work, monitoring both their training, and giving them both quality time away from each other. Add in the extra hard regiment of exercise that the Shepherd family of dogs needs, you would need to quit your job and all your hobbies to make sure every dog got everything they needed every day! party

Also, getting one at a time will really help you to get in tune with their individual personalities faster. They'll really blossom if they have your attention focused on them as they grow up, and not them plus 1 or 2 others. It's easier when you have a dog that's already trained and settled in to show a new puppy the ropes- I've always found that it's half as hard to housebreak a puppy when there's a housebroken adult dog already in the home, because the puppy just 'gets it' better when they watch another dog do the routine!
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by , Dec 13 1:15 am

Small Dogs > My Chihuahua Won't Leave the Trash Alone! PLEASE HELP!!
Jinx

Koala Bear

Barked: Fri Dec 6, '13 5:54am PST 
I agree with everyone above. Get a tall aluminum can that the Chihuahua can't push over, preferably the kind with a closing step lid. My Chihuahuas are also confined to certain rooms in the house with dog gates so I can monitor them, and there are no trash cans in the rooms they have access to. Works for me, living alone and all, not a ton of trash. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Jan 5 1:30 pm

Puppy Place > Chihuahua to...Lab?!

Jinx

Koala Bear

Barked: Fri Mar 1, '13 9:27am PST 
A happy update for everyone!

I'm not much of a big dog person, but luckily, I found someone who is- and not only that, her little girl's birthday was coming up. So, I got to be the happy witness to a 6 year old girl getting a puppy for her birthday. They'll be the perfect family for him!

The DNA test came back, too- as mostly Rottweiler! I informed the new family of this, no worries, and they're doing incredibly well with the new puppy. Their little girl loves him to death.

I'm sticking to my more travel size friendly pets.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Mar 1 9:27 am

Jinx

Koala Bear

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '13 5:48pm PST 
I was too curious for my own good- I went ahead and ordered the Wisdom Panel DNA kit. We'll find out once and for all just how "purebred" this supposed Labrador is! >big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Mar 1 9:27 am

Jinx

Koala Bear

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 11:46am PST 
Some pictures of Cas! Let me know what you think- Black and Tan Labrador, or all American Mutt? big grin

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/320988_101009996671 90938_1599209016_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4 /251941_10100999668104108_128418410_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbc dn.net/hphotos-ash3/553029_10100999667410498_1400698580_n.jpg
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Mar 1 9:27 am

Jinx

Koala Bear

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 9:22pm PST 
Yes, it's from Supernatural- Cas is my favorite character, and his eager to please attitude with the Winchesters is just like this puppy with everyone he encounters! XD I'll post up some pictures tomorrow- my pack has worn me out for tonight!
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Mar 1 9:27 am

Jinx

Koala Bear

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 8:45pm PST 
More good news! Puppy went to the vet today and got a clean bill of health. Though, he's only six and a half pounds at eight weeks- both me and the vet think he's too small to be a purebred Labrador. I have to admit, my curiosity is getting the better of me. Probably going to order one of those mutt DNA kits, just to know for sure!

He's very timid, but I'm making sure he handles things in a healthy way. No babying for this puppy!

I'm calling him Castiel for now, Cas for short. smile He's adorable.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Mar 1 9:27 am

Jinx

Koala Bear

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 5:55am PST 
Just an update! The puppy has been home for a couple of days now, and he's settled into the pack smooth as butter! He and my nine month old chihuahua hit it off right away- they've been nonstop playing and wrestling, though I have to keep the Chihuahuas from hoarding toys and treats on the couch, because the baby Lab can't quite make the jump yet! XD

Last night consisted of a cold, cold walk, and then relaxing on the couch with all five dogs collapsed on and beside me, snoozing as I played a video game and watched Animal Planet. It's going well so far!
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by , Mar 1 9:27 am

Jinx

Koala Bear

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 12:31pm PST 
I hope so! The breeder I got my Chihuahuas from has a ton of tiny Chis...and a GIANT Rottweiler. Some might say a bad combination, but she's constantly updating her page with pictures of the baby Chihuahuas using the Rottie as a jungle gym and running circles around her. So that gives me hope, at least, that it can be done with proper training and supervision!
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by , Mar 1 9:27 am

Jinx

Koala Bear

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 11:33am PST 
I worked as an assistant at a vet's office for almost a year, and I can say the Lab owners had the most interesting stories of chewed up things- that's why the first thing that I'm doing is picking up all the Chihuahua toys that are small enough for him to swallow, then I'm going to the store and loading up on toys for the new little guy to destroy!

Though my Chihuahuas will give him a run for his money, that's for sure. They tackle any toy, any size- I got them a four foot long dragon toy with dozens of squeakers in it, and they drag it around and try to maul it all the time. XD

I'm all excited and nervous, the kind you feel when you know you're going to be getting a puppy soon! I think he'll have trouble keeping up with the Chis, because those three are fast as BULLETS, I swear!
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by , Mar 1 9:27 am

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.