Postings by Koby

GO!

(Page 1 of 49: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Its me or your dog. Help!
Koby

I'm a big brat- and I don't care- :)

Barked: Wed Jul 29, '15 3:52am PST 
Any updates? Is he doing any better?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Koby, Today 3:52 am

Koby

Barked: Sat Jul 25, '15 5:46pm PST 
That's great he trusts you and he's food motivated. That's 1/2 the battle, figuring out what motivates him. Make sure the treats your BF and daughter feed him are "special yummy treats" that only they feed him. Don't give him those treats at any other time and don't you give him those treats. He needs to view the both of them as "the good treat giver people", which is a good thing. Make sure they don't make eye contact while feeding him the treats. It's very important that your BF and daughter do not show any disappointment or irritation while around Rocky. He can pick up on it and it would just escalate the problem. Don't "lolly-coddle" him when he's scared just continue to call him over but be matter of fact about it. He's not too old to work with. Please keep us posted on his progress and Good luck with him I wish you all the best hug I have no doubt that with time and patience you will make progress. One other thing, the 2 best dogs I ever had were the most work, Jax and Koby. smile They were/are worth every minute of the time and patience I put in. I would do it again.
Oh, and one more thing, I taught both Jax and Koby the "Go See" command. Thats when they are cautious of something, so I would tell them go see. They learned that they could go up to it and not be hurt or scared, guarenteed. It's very important that he is NEVER scared while using that command or it will never work again. Start out slow maybe with something he has slight issue with. Take him over and call him in a happy voice and tap the item. when he goes over, make a big deal out of it by playing and petting him or give him a treat. Good Luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Koby, Today 3:52 am

Koby

Barked: Wed Jul 22, '15 5:46pm PST 
One other thing. Sometimes health issues can contribute to aggression or at least make it worse. You might have a vet check him out, if you haven't already. (I used to have to muzzle Koby). Maybe have them check his thyroid function. That can cause aggression. Unfortunately, it's not a cheap test, but if it's part or all of the problem, meds will help immensley. Good Luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Koby, Today 3:52 am

Koby

Barked: Wed Jul 22, '15 5:41pm PST 
Like Lily said, you might try a certified behaviorist and/or another trainer that has experience with fear aggression. If you find the right person to help you, it's possible to help your dog. Koby had severe fear aggression. I found a trainer that "Got Him". I used other trainers and walked out of the room and never went back. It's really hard to find good people to help with the fear. NEVER send him away to be trained. It took me a year of weekly training and daily work to get Koby to where he is today, so just know that you have a long road ahead of you with a long commitment of a lot of work to get him to a point where you can manage him. Koby still has to be watched around people, but anyone who knew him before, can't believe he's the same dog. So, it's possible. How is he around you? Does he trust you? Is he food/toy motivated? One of the things that helped Koby is that he's has a VERY HIGH BALL DRIVE. So I used it (after he was in training for a while) to meet new people. I would have the person throw him the ball and they became his new best "ball thrower friend". You could find a YUMMY treat (liver, chicken, etc.), something he would die for and only have your BF & child feed it to him, (lightly toss it to him, so it doesn't scare him). That could be a start. Do you have another dog? My Jaxey was also fear aggressive; I was told to put her down by vets and trainers. I had our friendly Golden take treats from visitors and gave her nothing until she would take a step or two closer to get the treat. Then they lightly tossed her a taste. It took a while (weeks), but her stomach got the best of her and she came right up, sheepishly at first, and took the treat nicely right out of their hand. Eye contact and reaching for both Jax and Koby would trigger the aggression. It's still a trigger for Koby. So, I tell people no touching and no eye contact. I could write a book here, so I won't overwhelm you with a seriously long post. I hope the few things I suggested helps. The main thing you can do is find a trainer / behaviorist that "Gets Him" who uses positive reinforcement training. You might also read a few books. One is "The Cautious Canine". It's a very thin book, but it's packed with tips for fear aggressive dogs. It helped me immensely with Jax. Also, know that sometimes there are dogs you just can't help. Hopefully, that's not so in your case. Good Luck and I hope he gets better. smile hug
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Koby, Today 3:52 am

Dog Health > Update on Bunny's panting

Koby

Barked: Fri Jun 26, '15 6:01pm PST 
I hope it works for you.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Bunny, Jun 26 6:31 pm

Behavior & Training > I know this is probably a dumb question but
Koby

Barked: Fri Jun 26, '15 1:22pm PST 
I tried the "no", treats, water gun, hose and nothing breaks his fixation. I'll just wait it out. I know he really can't help it. Primal urges. Thanks for the reply. At least I know he's normal. It just came as somewhat of a surprise since he's neutered. We're getting her spayed anyway when she's older. So, it's only a temporary problem. Thank God for baby gates. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Koby, Jun 26 1:22 pm

Behavior & Training > I know this is probably a dumb question but

Koby

Barked: Fri Jun 26, '15 4:02am PST 
We got Koby neutered last December at 3 years old. We wanted him to be fully mature before making the decision. Since then, we got Reina. Now she's in heat. Is it normal for Koby to behave like an un altered male? We have to keep the both of them completely separated. His interest in her is as though he was never neutered. In the past, we've always had our dogs neutered at a much younger age, so I just don't know if this is normal behavior. confused
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Koby, Jun 26 1:22 pm

Behavior & Training > 2 unaltered dogs found running loose with tight fitted muzzles on

Koby

Barked: Sat Jun 20, '15 5:30pm PST 
Did they have any scars on them? I wonder if they were bait dogs?
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Kali earned her wings 10/21/14, Jul 1 5:14 pm

Koby

Barked: Tue Jun 16, '15 3:57am PST 
Anticipation.......Drives me nuts too........big laugh One time Koby was squealing so loud, it sounded like we were torturing him (well, maybe we were in his mind). My daughter thought the neighbors were going to call the SPCA on us. laugh out loud He shut up when he got his kiddie pool. relieved
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Bunny, Jun 26 6:31 pm

Koby

Barked: Mon Jun 15, '15 4:59pm PST 
It could be. When Koby thinks he "supposed" to have his kiddie pool, he paces, whines and pants until he gets it or I put him away for some quiet time. LOLOL I think sometimes they so thoroughly enjoy something that they just work themselves up over it.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Bunny, Jun 26 6:31 pm

(Page 1 of 49: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.