Barked: Tue Mar 5, '13 11:27am PST 
Beauceron maybe?
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Mar 7 1:32 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Tasks
Riley SDit- CGC

75lb lap dog

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 10:08pm PST 
There aren't too many service dog task training videos but just learning how to teach some more advanced tricks and behaviors will give you the skills to teach any task you want. Once you get the hang of communicating what you want, it gets much easier!
For alerting to approaching people here is how I might train it:
Start by teaching her whatever cue you want-for now we will say putting her front paws on you. (just lure her into position as you would sit or down)
Then get that on a reliable hand signal.
Have a family or friend walk up and as soon as they get close, cue her to do the behavior and mark and treat!
Do that over and over and over again!
Then start having the person approach and see if she will offer the behavior before you give a cue-so she is taking the person approaching as her cue instead.
Then just keep practicing and practicing and you will get it!

For finding anything like the car/exit/person basically you just start from a small distance, say your cue (go find --) lead her their yourself and then have a praise/treat party! Then once she gets the idea, stay close to your whatever she is finding, say your cue and wait for her to take steps towards it and reward. Slowly you can move farther and farther away but make sure you start at the beginning the first few times you practice with a new person or place.

If you need anymore explained let me know, I am no expert and pry not the best to give out advice....but I will try my bestwink

Here are some great youtube channels that have helped me a ton!
http://www.youtu be.com/user/supern aturalbc2008/videos?vie w=0

http://www.you tube.com/user/ki kopup
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jan 3 3:14 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Tasks

Riley SDit- CGC

75lb lap dog

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 11:24am PST 
Ok so I didn't read all the posts, so forgive me if I am far off topicwink

As far as tasks what I did with Riley is I trained probably over 30 tasks and then I have ended up only using about 10 regularly so those are the ones we practice and perfect. I taught him to circle around me to give me space but then never ever use it in public. I find it gets the leash all tangled, it's too obvious that I'm trying to keep people back and the dog looks like he is misbehaving. There is no harm in training it though and seeing if you use it. Another good one for small dogs is to alert you to when somebody is approaching. You can train her to paw you when somebody comes up behind so you don't get startled. You have to have family/friends help you with that usually but it's pretty easy to train. A few other solid tasks I like for PSD's (depending on your needs) are: finding exits, finding the person you are with, following the person you are with, finding the car, finding the house, interrupting behaviors, getting help, waking you from nightmares, alerting to people appraoching. It seems like you have a good list of tasks so I would just start training and see what you end up using to better work as a teamsmile Youtube has probably been my best source for training tasks and you can find some great videos that with a little adapting can create some very helpful tasks!
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Jan 3 3:14 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > new to SD's - lots of questions (college, training, invisible disibilities)

Riley SDit- CGC

75lb lap dog

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 4:48pm PST 
This is just an idea but have you ever thought of puppy raising for an organization? It was a HUGE help to me because I was able to see how I would deal with all the extra attention-and there is a TON. It also gives you a chance to raise a puppy if you haven't before and learn all about training a service/guide dog from experts. Then if you decide you want to train your own service dog, you would be fully prepared to take that on. Just a thoughtsmile
[notify]
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by , Dec 29 11:03 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Feeling awkward with my service dog?

Riley SDit- CGC

75lb lap dog

Barked: Sun Oct 21, '12 7:56pm PST 
The ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) covers all SERVICE DOGS in ALL STATES and grants full access to service dogs into public places except for a couple places like inside a petting zoo or in a sterile environment like a burn unit in the hospital. Under the ADA you need no certification, registration or doctors notes. Businesses can kick a dog out who is "out of control" or not potty trained and businesses may ask two questions: "Is that a service animal" and "what tasks does the dog perform?" a general answer on the second one is all required.

Now,
Service dogs in training are NOT covered by the ADA. This leaves each state to make their own laws regarding them. Each state varies on many levels and many grant no access at all to service dogs in training. I believe you are in CA right? CA state law allows the same access rights to service dogs in training and they can be with an organization, private trainer, or disabled handler. The one condition is that the dog must register with the county and where a tag stating they are a service dog in training. When you enter a business, you don't need to show them anything or ask for permission. You just walk in and start your training! If they ask anything usually simply stating she is a service dog in training will do. You can bring a copy of state law with you and make sure you have a vest on her. You want her to look as professional as possible.

As far as certification, organization certify service dogs, not service dogs in training. That means that when the dog completes all requirements they get "certified" saying that they met that programs requirements. There are many sites and places that will "certify" a dog site unseen and this is not the way to go nor necessary.

I would just start training in low key stores for short periods and have fun with her! and keep asking questions!
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Apr 17 12:17 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Feeling awkward with my service dog?
Riley SDit- CGC

75lb lap dog

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '12 1:53pm PST 
Hi and welcome!!! I am 19 and use a service dog for a usually invisible disability. It is a very tough transition and I can certainly say I was very, very uncomfortable and nervous for a long time. Eventually though you learn all the questions and form an automatic response and you get used to all the stares and attention-I barely notice it now! The other day I was out with my sister and she asked me how I handle all the stares and points-I said "who is starring?" lol. It really is like going everywhere with a celebrity! I might suggest taking her to pet friendly places as much as possible so when you do go out in public she is well behaved and you are used to having her by your side. Remember to that a lot of the public's questions don't need to be answered. I often have people flat out ask me what my disability is-and I just say I keep that private!
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by , Apr 17 12:17 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Another Riley update-It has been a year!

Riley SDit- CGC

75lb lap dog

Barked: Sat Jun 16, '12 8:12pm PST 
WOW over a year now since I picked up 11lbs of fluff!

Riley has been doing great and is now 75lbs and 14 months old! I knew as soon as I met him he was special and he has so quickly become the love of my lifesmile He is such a HAM and has definetly presented his share of teenager problems but overall, with hard work he is turning into a wonderful and well rounded dog! He is excelling in his task work and PA work and is making huge step forwards with his only real "issue"-grass sniffing. Today he worked off-leash (on long line) at the park with a nice focused heel over the grass-YAY for progress!

He loves nothing more than the sound of the clicker so we have been having fun learning all sorts of tricks-today he is learning how to open the trash can and drop something in! The hope is he won't use this against me and take things out instead LOL!

Oh and on July 21st he will be featured on Animal Planet's "Bad Dog" so tune in! He sais this was the ONLY time he EVER acted up-and I just happened to have a camera...sure Riley:p

I haven't been around dogster in far too long, although I frequently drop in and read postsXD I will be around more now that its summer!

A video I made of our first year:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWTZuZiPCB4&feature=g-upl
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jun 17 9:31 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > SDs and Dog parks?

Riley SDit- CGC

75lb lap dog

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '12 12:34pm PST 
As long as your careful you can avoid any problems. Our park has two exits at opposite ends. Anytime a new dog comes in I call Riley to me and make him wait at the exit while I watch the other dog come in. You can tell alot by watching body language as they walk up and in. I usually go on weekdays and its very quiet. If I sense any tiny bit of trouble, its not worth it and we leave. We know most of the dogs that come in and so far, no problems.
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by , Mar 17 10:08 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Wear Thy Vest

Riley SDit- CGC

75lb lap dog

Barked: Mon Feb 27, '12 10:39am PST 
While I think that on a day to day basis SD's really have no reason to not be identified in some way, I can think of a few reasons that they should not be required to.

Some people may have difficulty putting the vest on. Although in this case some sort of bandanna or even a collar marked as "service dog" could be worn.

Cost may be an issue with some people although I agree that you should be able to afford some kind of identification if you own a dog.

You may not be able to order online. I have no clue where I would get a vest or ID except the internet and I know several who dont know how or can't order things online.

I have taken Riley on off-duty walks and then decided to go in somewhere without his gear on. I usually leave his vest in my moms car but if she is gone at work and I go somewhere with my sister, I don't have it. It could be dirty or outgrown and you are waiting for a new one. While you should be able to buy some sort of identification, not everyone is able to afford a backup.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Mar 5 4:56 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > First time being refused service (rant)
Riley SDit- CGC

75lb lap dog

Barked: Sat Feb 18, '12 5:21pm PST 
Thanks for all the advice! We live in CA so SDit's have protection with a disabled handler or trainer. I have never had a problem at Denny's either so I was suprised. We may try going back and see if they are any better and if not, file a complaint.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Feb 23 10:32 am

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.