Postings by Ava & Nix

GO!

(Page 1 of 49: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Strange little girl...
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Sat Sep 14, '13 11:58am PST 
I think it's like people who are introverts, but have that one special person who they just feel they can open up to and be pals with, even if they don't see them every day. I don't consider myself a friendly person. It takes a long time for me to warm up to people, but every now and then I'll meet someone and it just seems like we hit it off from the start. (Case in point: when my husband and I first met more than 10 years ago, I didn't like him. I thought he was obnoxious.) laugh out loud

Us and dogs... we're both social animals, generally speaking, but there are exceptions. As far as I'm concerned there can also be dogs who are the same way. smile

Nix isn't dog-aggressive or reactive, but he doesn't ever play with other dogs, other than Ava. He might sometimes meet a female who he gets real flirty with, but I had NEVER seen him play with another male dog until one time a couple months back, he met a white husky/shepherd thing, and they hit it off like best buds! Wrestling, chasing, mouthing... they were complete strangers but they looked like they'd known each other their whole lives. I thought the husky/shepherd was a girl at first because of how playful Nix was being, but then it rolled on its back and I was shocked to learn that "she" was a he. (If only his owner and I could have exchanged info so that our boys could have play dates. We'll probably never meet again. Oh well.) But anyways, I don't think it's that unusual for a dog who generally dislikes others to still meet one that they really take to. smile I think it's cute!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Savannah Blue Belle, Sep 16 7:44 am

Behavior & Training > How talkative is your dog?
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Mon Sep 9, '13 6:34pm PST 
Neither of mine is super talkative, but they do have their sounds that they make in certain situations. smile

Ava gets loud with her husky-like "Oww-row-row" and "Waaa-waa" when we're pulling in to our former neighborhood and would ask her "Where's Baby!?" (the neighbor's Yorkie) It got to the point where we could ask her any dumb question and get a bunch of funny noises out of her. She'd only do it while we were driving down the street to the end of the culdesac though. Or sometimes when we were arriving at a park, if we asked her about the squirrels she would start "talking"

In the pet store or at the vet's office she's obnoxiously noisy with a higher-pitched yap that she does to beg for attention. She ADORES vets. shrug

She's very growlly about suspicious people or noises (but it's all an act)

When my husband gets goofy BOTH the dogs will bark at him.

Nix does this really cute howl which sometimes follows a big yawn...He yawns for EVERYTHING. Stress signal or not. He yawns when he's stressed, when he's excited, when he's hungry, you name it... Unfortunately he doesn't always do a cute howl when he yawns and sometimes it's more of an annoying ear-piercing whine. I've tried praising the howl in hopes that he'll learn. The frequent yawning is annoying, but if it can't be stopped then at LEAST I wish he'd do that cute howl more than the annoying whine. laugh out loud

ETA:
Oh, also when Ava is bored or begging for us to move over and give her a spot on the couch (yes, she does this...) she'll stand there and stare at us and make these little grumbles. "Grrr... Hmmm... Grr... Grrrrr... Hmmm..." until we move. laugh out loud It's actually more adorable than it sounds. (But if we really don't want to move we either tell her to go away, or she eventually gives up on her own.)

She's a bit more talkative than Nix.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Roman, Sep 17 5:04 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Worst Dogs for Newbies

Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Mon Aug 26, '13 12:49pm PST 
All I can say is... where's my Border Collies!? laugh out loud

They're awful for first-timers. I guess it's well enough that they had ACDs on the list for most of the same reasons that BCs would be, but I was pretty surprised nonetheless.

Nothing I'd really remove from their list. I even agree with their honorable mention of pit bulls, as I've known far too many people who get a pit, believing that they're THE perfect family dog as so many well-meaning pit owners and rescues make them out to be... and the dog ends up walking all over them. Strong-willed breeds don't make good pets for first-timers who aren't prepared to deal with a dog who has a mind of its own (and the muscle to back it up).
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Aug 27 6:09 pm

Behavior & Training > I'm Dominant!

Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Sat Aug 24, '13 7:06pm PST 
Every single one of those behaviors is from lack of training. Not dominance. Your dog simply hasn't learned--or rather hasn't been taught--her manners.

Drop the idea that she's trying to be in charge. It's only going to create tension for you, and more confusion for her. Dominance is so old hat it's starting to smell funny. Dogs don't sit there thinking of ways to achieve world domination... they just want to be dogs, and have fun. Good dogs aren't "good" because they're "submissive"... they're good because they're taught how to be.

Keep up the training, teaching her to sit and wait before going outside, wait for food, teach an "off" command for getting her off the couch when you want to sit there. Work on leash manners. "Nothing in life is free" teaches her that in order to get what she wants she needs to have good manners. It's not about being dominant or being the "pack leader"
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Nov 4 7:07 am

Behavior & Training > My male Golden is driving us crazy with his fear of everything and bad behavior...

Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Sat Aug 17, '13 1:42pm PST 
First I'm kind of curious, because we see Goldens like this ALL the time where I work, but... is he a white (English) Golden Retriever? For some reason the most fearful, most difficult Goldens we see are always white ones, and they all act exactly like you've described your boy. Extremely fearful even though they've never been abused, and despite socialization; destructive, occasionally randomly aggressive... I think it's genetic. If one could look at the pedigrees of all these dogs, I'm sure that somewhere down the line they'd be related.

The only thing I can say is look in to a qualified behaviorist. This doesn't sound like something a trainer would be any help for. Good luck hug
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Roman, Nov 2 9:13 am

Puppy Place > Brevin the mystery pup. Any guesses?
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Sat Aug 17, '13 12:53pm PST 
His face actually does remind me of a very unique Shih Tzu mix I've seen.. a whole litter of them in fact. My coworker's friend has a Shih Tzu and a Peruvian Inca Orchid, and they had an accidental breeding a while back, which resulted in a whole litter of Peruvian Shih Tzus! You'd think any Shih tzu mix would grow long hair on its face, but there were actually a few puppies in the litter who had regular fur like Brevin's! Not that I think Brevin is part Peruvian, they're so rare it would be extremely unlikely, but I had to share the story of my coworker's friend's puppies to say that Shih Tzu mixes don't always have squished muzzles or long hair on their face. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Buster (1996-2008), Sep 8 3:34 pm

Grooming > Is the de-shedding service at the groomer's worth the $$$$ ?

Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Sat Aug 17, '13 12:33pm PST 
There's no definite yes or no... thinking I have to say it depends on who's in charge of your dog. Some groomers will do a wonderful de-shedding treatment that REALLY gets the shedding under control, but others don't do the best and I've seen dogs go home with tufts still sticking out.

I mean, if it's done RIGHT, then yes it makes a huge difference and is totally worth the money, but be sure to check your dogs when you pick them up. smile

A little bit of shedding even after the treatment is normal, especially if you have super heavy shedders... Don't expect it will be totally 100%, but if you're still pulling out large clumps of fur, or petting them and your hand is still coming back coated in a dog hair mitten, then they clearly didn't do something right, or didn't brush your dogs thoroughly enough. Ask about satisfaction guarantees too. Good luck. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Brigantia - CGC CGCA, Nov 12 3:20 pm

Dog Health > Blowing his coat

Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Sat Aug 17, '13 10:47am PST 
Ava always picks weird times of the year to blow her coat. I thought it was normal for dogs to blow coat usually during Spring and Fall, but Ava's more of a Summer/Winter dog. For her first year I thought she was single-coated because she never shed at all, up until after her 1st Birthday (April) when she decided to turn the carpet orange in July laugh out loud

The year we got Nix, Ava not only waited until August to FINALLY shed her winter fur, she was then still wearing her summer coat on the last day of November.
Naked dog!

She's 4, and this was the first year that she has ever picked Spring to blow coat. But she didn't blow it that heavily. I mean, she's still got pants/butt fur (unlike in the above pic, which is usually how her summer coat looks). Who knows when she plans to blow her summer coat though.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Aug 19 6:50 am

Behavior & Training > Weird and I'll try and explain

Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Tue Aug 13, '13 11:23am PST 
Oh, Gus, that also reminds me of a few times hubby told me about his pets "talking to him" through dreams. He woke up once to the sound of someone saying in a sad voice "...It's useless. You'll never wake up in time." and as his eyes opened he saw his old dog begin to squat and pee on the floor.

Then another time he woke up to someone yelling with a mean voice "Get up, you idiot!" and the cat was sitting on his chest staring him right in the face. (She would have been one to call names like that... lol)

He's a very skeptical person, but it's really interesting to think about there being some kind of connection that opens up while we dream! smile
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Augusta, CGC, RN, Aug 14 12:57 pm

Behavior & Training > Weird and I'll try and explain
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Tue Aug 13, '13 7:48am PST 
This especially caught my attention because something very similar happened one night with my parakeet.

I woke up to the sound of glass shattering, and my parakeet going nuts in her cage, flying around, screaming her head off. I looked all around the room, thinking while sleeping I must have moved and knocked an empty glass off the bed or something--it wasn't entirely uncommon for me to leave glasses in less-than-intelligent places when I fell asleep. Nevermind that I couldn't remember bringing one to bed that night in the first place... But I looked everywhere, all around the room, and there was no broken glass.

Now someone might think "Oh, it's a bird. Birds are the very definition of flighty, and they freak out over the littlest things. She was probably startled when you shot up in bed." or "She probably heard something else that startled her and your dreaming mind translated it to the sound of glass shattering right before you woke up."

But just like Moose, she had never startled at any nightly noises before, nor had she ever startled at me jolting in bed (and it wasn't the first time I'd been jolted awake either). She was NOT a flighty bird, believe it or not. And this was the first and only time she ever did anything like that.

Maybe not that our pets can hear noises from our dreams, but I have to admit that the idea of SHARING dreams with pets that we're deeply bonded to has crossed my mind before.

There was one other time where I strongly believe Ava and I were sharing the exact same dream. We were both asleep, her in my arms, our heads resting against each other, and I was dreaming of running through the woods, jumping over logs, but I had paws... AVA's paws... I woke up, and saw that her front paws were twitching as if she was dreaming of running. She woke up a few seconds later. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Augusta, CGC, RN, Aug 14 12:57 pm

(Page 1 of 49: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.