GO!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

Choosing the Right Dog > Hunting Companion: GSP vs. Weimaraner
Elsa

mycooldog.wordpr- ess.com

Barked: Tue Mar 12, '13 12:36pm PST 
That's awesome! I have seen Weims in the field and been very impressed. I wonder if actually utilizing dogs for the job they were bred to do ultimately affects their personality. Maybe all the nutso Weims I've met have just been dying to hit the woodssmile We went with a GSP though, he's 5 months old now and just a dream.
Mycooldog.wordpress.com
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Mar 12 12:36 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Help with choosing a dog for my roommate (there was a problem with the first thread)
Elsa

Barked: Tue Mar 12, '13 12:31pm PST 
I would say a Bichon. They aren't super active but happy to go wherever. Smart enough to learn party tricks but don't need the mental stimulation of say a Border Collie. Hypo allergenic coat. Small but sturdy. A Corgi would be a good fit as well but I believe they shed.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Apr 1 4:34 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Pick Me A Breed

Elsa

Barked: Sun Mar 10, '13 7:18pm PST 
Sounds like you already found the perfect breed for you, why not stick to Papillions? Cavaliers are a great choice or Tibetan Spaniel maybe.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Apr 10 8:42 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Breed match for me

Elsa

Barked: Mon Mar 4, '13 4:15am PST 
What about a German Shorthaired Pointer? They can go from very drivy to lovable lug in a second. Super athletic and versatile. They are actually referred to as the swiss army knife of dogs.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Mar 7 1:32 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Little Dogs Jogging?

Elsa

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '12 4:38pm PST 
I am not a jogger but Elsa will run at a full sprint playing fetch with the chuck it at the park for a good hour and then we will come home and she will need me to keep playing fetch with her in the house. Their noses are short but a far cry from a Boston Terrier or Bulldog. I would be more concerned with a Cav overheating in the summer from their long coat than I would their snub nose.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Oct 16 4:38 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Best gun dog for an apartment dweller
Elsa

Barked: Mon Oct 15, '12 3:41pm PST 
Wow thanks Tiller, I will pass the info on and see if he's interested. She is lovely, I am looking for a GSP for myself but She may have me reconsidering.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Oct 15 3:41 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Best gun dog for an apartment dweller

Elsa

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 7:43pm PST 
Friend of mine recently got divorced and moved into an apartment. He lost his hunting Lab about 4 months ago and is looking for new buddy to head out into the field with. I know most dogs can thrive in an apartment given the proper exercise but are there any gun dogs that do better than others in an apartment?
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Oct 15 3:41 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Little Dogs Jogging?

Elsa

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 8:25am PST 
A Cavalier would make a great jogging companion. They are incredibly adaptable and since they are spaniels they tend to be a bit sportier than most toys like say a Yorkie or Maltese. Also they are big for toys (13 to 18 lbs) so are a bit hardier and longer of leg. They sometimes have heart problems so you would be helping yours by taking it on a jog, keeping his heart nice and strong. As someone else entioned an Alaskan Klee Klai would be a good option as well since they are mini sled dogs they have excellent stamina. They would probably be harder to find though.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Oct 16 4:38 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > What do you recommend?

Elsa

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 6:25am PST 
From the clubs website: "The Greater Swiss Mountain Dog is a happy, jovial breed with an enthusiastic nature and strong affinity to people and children. They are strongly dependant on people and crave attention and physical contact. As youngsters, they can be quite boisterous and they do require steady and reliable training to develop manners and physical self-control. Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs should be very accepting of a non-threatening stranger. Whether that stranger is friendly or neutral, the Swissy should be happy and inviting on approach. The Greater Swiss Mountain Dog should be confident and comfortable in unfamiliar locations and be stable around strange noises and unfamiliar people. Swissys should be very accepting of other dogs and species."
Just saying wink
Also while spaniels do need quite a bit of exercise, in my experience they are also very adaptable to your personal situation- more so than say pointers or Borders who go kind of bonker if they don't get lots of running. However I would advise against them simply on the basis that they have a lot of hair and you are not looking to groom. Brittanies have less hair than Cockers or Springers though.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Oct 28 10:17 am

Choosing the Right Dog > What do you recommend?
Elsa

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 6:43am PST 
Hmm, working Swissies perhaps. They're quite popular in my area as companions and all the ones I have met have been total mushes, similar in personality to Saint Bernards.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Oct 28 10:17 am

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.