Postings by Juno

GO!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

Service & Therapy Dogs > taxi's
Juno

Super Star Puppy- Cadet

Barked: Mon Apr 7, '14 8:27pm PST 
Juno is 75#'s too. If you put one foot in first, then let your dog in and put your other leg sandwiching your dog in, your dog should fit just fine.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, May 18 7:51 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Laws Pertaining to Service Dogs in Training?
Juno

Super Star Puppy- Cadet

Barked: Tue Mar 25, '14 11:53pm PST 
California is one of those states that gives you both SDIT and SD rights.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Juno , Mar 25 11:53 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Have anyone else had trouble exsplaining?

Juno

Super Star Puppy- Cadet

Barked: Wed Jun 19, '13 8:26pm PST 
I had info cards printed up from vistaprint.com. It makes it so much easier to hand someone a card sometimes than stand and be tongue tied.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Jul 8 10:48 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > 21 hour amtrak trip? Or megabus?

Juno

Super Star Puppy- Cadet

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 9:31am PST 
We just took the most awesome trip with Megabus. They are spot on withthings service dog knowledge and I had no hassles. On my return trip we were even allowed to pre board giving us the choice of any seat we wanted.
The seats are comfortable and the drivers make sure that the bus stays quiet.
If you are going to sit on the top level we found that the front had more space. The stairs are compact like on a kid's slide. If we didn't practice different steps Juno would have had issues getting up and down.

ETA Megabus does stop about every two hours for a half hour.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Nova, Jun 19 5:34 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Reactive to other dogs on walks, tips?

Juno

Super Star Puppy- Cadet

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 1:23am PST 
The way we were able to break Juno of this is that I put her into a sit/stay until she quits whining. Then I praise or treat. Next I bring her a step closer and she starts whining again so we wait again in a sit/stay until she stops and I treat again. She loves children too, so this works for when kids pass by.

Sounds like your dog though is more distracted than reactive. From what I understand reactive means aggression and fear.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Qwigley, Dec 10 9:22 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > new to SD's - lots of questions (college, training, invisible disibilities)
Juno

Super Star Puppy- Cadet

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 4:34am PST 
My suggestion is to look for yearlings rather than puppies if you have that sort if time frame. Look for retired show dogs, agility, obedience, such as that. The first year is all about socializing and learning obedience anyways. By the time Sept rolls around, tasks would be easily have been taught and you are golden for a great service dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Dec 29 11:03 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Tasks

Juno

Super Star Puppy- Cadet

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 3:28am PST 
From personal experience with a small dog, don't let her out of your sight. Blocking might be ok with a larger dog but I have had shopping carts intentionally pushed on my small dog and I have also had people kick him on purpose. Also you have countless folks who will accidentally step on Bella unintentionally. It still hurts. I eventually had to retire my dog and give him away.
Your OCD and any other habits you can train by doing the action, having her do the response and treating after, either by praise food, or toy. I like to mix up my treat. In fact that is basically how you train about anything you want your dog to do. Most of my training involves thinking outside the box though so there I am sure there will be other great Iideas.
[notify]
» There has since been 35 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Jan 3 3:14 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Can I Switch Her To "Service Dog In Training?"

Juno

Super Star Puppy- Cadet

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 3:11am PST 
If it helps, I use the IAADP and Delta Society's minimum standards as a guideline to graduate my dogs to full service dog status.

http://www.deltasociety.org/document.doc?id=373
http://iaadp.org/iaadp-minimum-training-standards-for-public-access. html

Every time I take a dog out, be it service dog or otherwise, I ask myself "Does this dog's temperment warrant the anxiety of a possible bad situation?" I mean I cannot afford to get sued and I definitely do not want anyone to get hurt. Minimal embarrassment I can handle (snoring in public, losing focus).
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Leah, Mar 14 3:11 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Can I Switch Her To "Service Dog In Training?"

Juno

Super Star Puppy- Cadet

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 2:39am PST 
I just wanted to say Bellatrix, just because your state does not give you owner trainer rights it does not mean you cannot owner train.
There are many of opportunities without needing non pet friendly access. Also ask your local businesses. If they don't have health service code then it is up to them. Actually my dentist even said I could train if I like.
After puppy training classes, her public access was two story city hall and library who practically begged to be a part of her training when they found out I was retiring my other dog.
Lowes and Bass Pro Shop is another because they allow dogs. My local Walmart let me practice automatic doors, shopping and parking lots. I was even invited to come practice on the GM side when the store was not busy.
At parks we had picnics at the tables and after like we were at restaurants.
They also have lots of different surfaces at parks to practice on.
Not having OT SDIT rights just means that if you are asked to leave, you have no recourse but to leave.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Leah, Mar 14 3:11 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Family has issues with me having ESA
Juno

Super Star Puppy- Cadet

Barked: Thu Nov 22, '12 5:10am PST 
Well if you think about it a dog has to start off being a puppy in order to be a dog. There are more ESA dogs because the time frame of puppyhood is from one to three years depending on breed. At some point though a dog would have to be a puppy. BTW I have a prescription for my 6 month old ESA kitten who will sit on on my head during a migraine and keeps my hands from cramping during fibromyalgia flares.
You have every right to be angry that your family members won't support you, your husband's and your healthteam's decision of an ESA. It is hard to deal with and I assure you that even with service dogs, many of us go through the same attitudes with our families and friends.
Maybe a little consoling, I hope this helps: “Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind.” -- Dr. Seuss
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Yoshi, Nov 23 5:46 pm

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.