Postings by Milo

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Behavior & Training > What to do??
Milo

My love is worth- your time

Barked: Fri Dec 27, '13 5:06pm PST 
I am going over her house tomorrow and will definitely have to have a serious conversion with her. Thanks for the tips and legal advice, i will use that while talking to her. My aunt knows what damage a dog can do to a kids face, I was attacked when I was 3 years old (i know it was my fault, i did jump off a chair and landed on the dogs tail) and the dog bite me in the face. She has seen the damage a small dog could do yet she allows this behavior to go on.

I talked to the kids parents and they are also concerned and said that they would not be bringing either child over unless the dogs were locked up. I had the little girl over today and she kept asking what she did to make Izzy mad and is still upset over the incident...it broke my heart.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Babe, Dec 28 2:00 pm

Milo

Barked: Thu Dec 26, '13 6:22pm PST 
Thats basically what i said on Christmas, I told her that I lock up 2 of my dogs when kids come around because they are stressed and that maybe Izzy would be happier with just Lucy in a room with her this way Izzy was not alone. I even helped to set up the study with 3 beds, a bunch of toys, their water dishes, 2 antlers, and 2 pee pads (yes she uses pee pads and it drives me insane!!). Yet she still brought them out 15 minutes after putting them up, the dogs were being quiet in the room so i think they would have been fine being alone in the room for a few hours. Im just worried because my aunt likes to have all family events at her house and I dont want my little niece to be scared to come to family events because the dog tries to bite her.

I think im just going to stay quiet and watch Izzy really close whenever kids are around. I think that is my only option...
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Babe, Dec 28 2:00 pm

Milo

Barked: Wed Dec 25, '13 5:05pm PST 
I am at a loss in regards of how to approach my aunt about her dogs, or if I should just ignore it. Here is what happened today.

My Aunt has 2 dogs a yorkie (lucy) and a yorkie/shih tzu mix (izzy). Izzy is about 4 yrs old and Lucy is 1 yr old. They never did any training with these dogs and it is always craziness when we go over. Well today was Christmas and she insisted that we have it over her house. So my family all met at her house, we do not have a large family there were 7 adults and 2 kids a 7 yr old and a 3 yr old (neither of the kids are mine). Both of these kids are very used to dogs and everyone in my family has dogs so we are very used to them. Well the 7 year old went under the table to get a toy that the 4 year old dropped. Izzy the mix was at the other end of the table (about 3 ft or so) from where the 7 yr old was going under the table and Izzy came running at the girl and jumped at her face. My adult cousin grabbed Izzy and the little girl screamed of course and hit her head on the table. Well the girl started crying (and I dont blame her for crying) and I sat on the floor with her to comfort her and try to get her out from under the table. I was not aware that they had put Izzy back on the ground and when I finally got the girl crawling out from under the table Izzy came running from the other room and again jumped for the girls face which made the girl bang her head again. I grabbed Izzy and the girl got out from under the table but she has a nice size bruise on the back of her head from slamming it on the table twice while trying to avoid the dog. Izzy was not jumping to be nice she was trying to bite. I asked my aunt if Izzy has ever tried to bite before and she said that Izzy has chased a few people and grabbed one person's ankle. Well I told my aunt to lock Izzy and Lucy up and my aunt refused and instead held the dogs for the rest of the day.

My aunt is under some delusion that Izzy is fear aggressive. I have rescued multiple fear aggressive dogs and I do not think based on what I saw today that this is fear aggression. Izzy was not cornered and the little girl was not trying to interact with the dog. I am not sure if I should say something or not. I mean I will definitely keep a better eye on her and i doubt the kids will be in her house again but Im not sure if I should bring it up or just ignore it since it is not my dog. I do not want to start a conflict but I was on edge for the rest of the day and the little girl was clinging to me because she was scared of Izzy. Now my aunt treats these dogs like her children, they are spoiled beyond belief and neither dog is extremely nice or social but I have never brought it up because it was not a big deal to me as they are not my dogs but i really think that my aunt needs a reality check, im just not sure if I should be the one to bring it up. What would everybody do if you were put in this situation???
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Babe, Dec 28 2:00 pm

Behavior & Training > Extremely Shy And Anxious

Milo

Barked: Tue Aug 27, '13 11:56am PST 
I know how you feel, I have rescued 2 fearful dogs and it can be frustrating. She needs to learn to Trust you. It can take a long time, we have had Milo for over 2 years and he still has moments where he will run from my mom and hide until I come home. You said that she really likes your one dog, use that to your advantage. Gate them off in a room where Osha cannot hide and go in a sit on the floor and totally ignore both of them (you may want a book). Stay sitting on the floor until Osha calms down and accepts your presence. I did this every day with Milo until he finally came up to me and sat next to me. I did not interact with him until he sat next to me for a week straight and even then I would just put my hand out (slowly of course) and lay it on the floor near him. It took 1 month before I could touch him. Once he realized I was not going to hurt him I became his security blanket. But my mom never did this process and Milo still gets scared of her at certain times even though she lives with me (and has since the day he entered the house).

In regard to feeding, ignore her while she is eating. She was likely pushed out of the way by larger dogs when feeding time came around and may have been attacked. As she learns to trust you she will become more comfortable with your presence at feeding time.

The thing about working with fearful dogs (both mine were fear aggressive, it sounds like you have no aggression) is while you have to cater to them you cannot let them walk all over you. If you dont set boundaries then they do not learn that you will protect them from the things that they fear. For example when Milo entered my house he wanted to live under the kitchen table..he would not come out to eat, he would not come out for any reason...well after 3 hours of him sitting under the kitchen table growling at anyone/anything that would go by I decided enough was enough. I had not removed his leash when we brought him home so I took the end and made him walk with me to the back yard. He put up a fight for the first 5 seconds and then he walked great with me. We did this every day for about 2 weeks until he finally stopped growling and came out from under the kitchen table. This also corresponded to the day that he started to sit next to me when I sat on the floor.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Aug 30 6:26 pm

Behavior & Training > Fear Biter?

Milo

Barked: Tue Aug 27, '13 11:29am PST 
He does not sound like a fear biter to me. I have 2 dachshunds who are both fear biters and they would not walk up to a stranger, especially if they are in pain as you said he did when you first saw him. They also would never let someone pick them up and hold them and wait to bite until they were being put down as happened with your friend the first time.

It sounds to me like he is in pain and when he is held a certain way or when his hot spot is touched he reacts. He also sounds possessive of his toys/treats. He may have gone after your friend the second time simply because he remembered his first meeting with her.

A month is not a lot of time for you or him to adjust and to really get to know each other. He may be testing boundaries and is in pain which is causing him to be very short tempered. Plus you said he is a terrier mix, remember that terriers were bred to hunt/kill they tend to be stubborn. As with any dog, they will test boundaries and see what is acceptable.

In regards to him giving no warnings, i find that hard to believe. If he is fear aggressive and like my 2 then they give plenty of signs. They do not growl or show their teeth but their eyes get wide and their body tenses up. Mine will freeze and if the person does not stop after those signs then they will bite. However before they do any of this they will try and get away. Fearful dogs generally will not walk up to a stranger, they will try to avoid the scary thing and if pushed to interact they will bite.

I think that everybody here has given some great advice and I hope that it helps.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kiki, Aug 29 8:24 pm

Behavior & Training > Adaptability in dogs
Milo

Barked: Fri Jul 12, '13 4:45pm PST 
Not all doxies are good with kids (even when raise with them)...I think the main reason Lupi has been great at adjusting is because you are a great dog owner and give her a place to get away (even if she does not use it). she probably likes all the extra attention also.

My doxies are all so different when it comes to children and strangers (they are all rescues). Wiggles is great with kids, he will listen to them and let them do anything to them but he will not always seek them out. Maggie loves to be around kids and to get the attention but will also get scared and pee if they move to fast. Milo tries to hide or to eat them (we are working on this but he has MANY fear related issues and he has gotten better). I know that Maggie was raised with kids before I got her, Milo was a mess, and I know nothing about Wiggles past.

I think that it really depends on the dog and the knowledge of the owner
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Milo, Jul 12 4:45 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Ridiculous things people assume about dogs.

Milo

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 12:02pm PST 
Milo must be a golden mix because dachshunds dont come in that color.

Milo is a purebred cream dachshund who is 7 inches tall and weighs 10 lbs...
[notify]
» There has since been 205 posts. Last posting by The Boys, May 5 10:07 pm

Dog Health > possible allergies?

Milo

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 6:46pm PST 
Milo has been with us since we adopted him in May 2011. He had horrible tear stains when he first came to us and the rescue said he had always had them. He has recently been scooting a lot more and has been chewing at his rear end. He has a bald spot on his tail now due to chewing at it.

We took him to the vet and was told that his anal glands are not full and are definitely not causing the scooting or chewing. The vet thinks it is due to allergies.

He has been on the same food (rotating flavors) since we got him however the scooting and chewing started about a month ago.

Is it possible that he could be allergic to something else or is there another issue that could be going on?? My vet offered no solutions and just told us it was allergies...in the middle of winter I would think his symptoms would not be getting worse. Also why would it take over a year for the symptoms to start??

He does not chew at any part of his body other than this rear end and when he does chew on it he jumps up and spins to get at his rear end/tail (it almost looks like something is biting him). He does not nor has he ever had during our care any ear issues and does not lick or chew at his feet. He has been a very healthy dog up until last month when the excessive chewing and biting started. If it was allergies why would it come on so fast?

I know that it is not flea allergies (Star my golden has that so all the dogs are on flea prevention and I am used to the symptoms of that).
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Milo, Feb 8 6:46 pm

Behavior & Training > Stranger Aggression / Trust issues (Please read!)

Milo

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 6:01pm PST 
You do not want to force her to interact with people, that defeats all trust training. Dogs will wag their tails, lower their heads, and sniff people but that does not mean that they want to be pet or receive any attention..they are simply being a dog and learning their environment by smell.

Milo and Maggie were/are both very fear aggressive when we got them. Maggie is a million times better but Milo is still (after a yr and a half) pretty bad although he is making steps of progress. Milo would not even smell people, they would walk by ignoring him and he would attack (my mom could not touch him for the first 2 weeks that we had him because he would bite). He is now at the point where you are with Bailey he goes up to people and smells but does not want attention, he just wants to smell them.

We take everything very slow, I have a few people who I really trust and see on a regular basis and who (more importantly) Milo sees on a regular basis. Only these select people are allowed to offer their hand to see if he wants to smell it (they sit on the ground and offer their hand and ignore him..note milo is a doxie so he is very small, with Bailey they may want to be in a chair). I start out with the treat in the hand that is being offered then move to the next step, see below.

If he smells their hand then they offer a treat with their other hand, moving slowly of course, if he takes the treat then we read him and see what he is comfortable with...sometimes he will take the treat and run back to me, if he does this then we end he interaction for at least 10 or 15 mins before repeating. If Milo stays close and looks for more treats my friend will move their hand slowly toward him and we watch him, if he stays comfortable then they will pet his side (never his face/top of head..only the side for now). He gets a "jackpot" (really 2-3 high quality treats, i use homemade meatballs as our jackpot treat) if he reacts well and does not try to bite. If he reacts badly then they stop petting him and go back to ignoring him (I also ignore him for about a min afterwords as that is the worst thing I can do to him).

After this no longer stresses them we will try it with these same people standing. Then only when these familiar people no longer phase him will I introduce him to any new people.

Please note that I only let 4-5 really good friends who know Milo and his body language. Milo sees them on a regular basis and is used to being around them. We did this same thing with Maggie and now she is a wonderful little girl who has not tried to bite in over 2 years.

The most important thing is to know your dog and its body language, you are lucky in a sense because your dog has obvious signs (the growling you talked about) Milo does not show obvious signs (i wish he did), he does not growl/snarl/run...his eyes get wide and then he bites and runs toward the person! It took awhile for me just to learn the signs that it was getting to much for him, at least you already know the signs and your pup is willing to smell people.

Milo, like Bailey warms up quicker to women then to men

Its a long process and you cannot push it, just read your dog and adjust to their comfort level. Good luck
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Smokey, Dec 21 10:32 am

Dog Health > Albino Deaf & Blind Chihuahua
Milo

Barked: Thu Nov 22, '12 4:02am PST 
Good advice Foxxy! Foxxy is right about your puppy being a double merle not an albino and the health issues that come along with a DM puppy. You will want to research DM dogs and the health issues that come along with them so you are prepared for the future health issues that are very likely.

Another note, you will want to ensure your kids understand that the dog is special needs and that they need to make it apparent that they are around. the pup will not be able to see or hear them coming and like any dog, when startled could bite. I foster dachshunds and double merles (called double dapple in doxies) regularly come into rescue so I have had a couple who were blind and deaf pass through my home. I always make sure that I tap the floor (or whatever they are on) until they show that they feel the vibration and know I am around.

Training is going to be difficult, be patient and do not get frustrated. House training can be difficult with a healthy Chi, much less one that is special needs. Find a trainer who has experience with special needs dogs and start training early. Good luck
[notify]
» There has since been 27 posts. Last posting by Amber, Feb 26 8:25 am

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.