Postings by Biscuit

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Dog Health > Itchy and Belly rash
Biscuit

Barked: Sat Aug 27, '11 7:21pm PST 
Thanks everyone! We took Biscuit to the Vet on Wednesday, and it turns out he has a mild allergy to a type of late summer weed. The vet told my husband that there are quite a few dogs sensitive to this weed. He gave him an antibiotic to clear up the reaction on his belly, and he's doing much better. No more itchies and his rash is clearing up.

We'll definitely look into Comfortis for prevention. He has a flea allergy as well, but the Vet said that the scratching was from the weed. So we just need to limit his long hikes and walks during August from now on. I'm just glad it wasn't something serious.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Allee Oop!!!, Aug 28 2:49 pm

Biscuit

Barked: Mon Aug 22, '11 8:05pm PST 
Well, we found another flea on biscuit today. So fleas may be the itch culprit. He also has a sore on his face, likely from scratching. But we made a vet appt for Wednesday to be thorough. Is it normal for flea allergic dogs to itch their face too, or is that usually something else?

Aina, do you have any alternative flea recommendations to the topicals? The advantix doesn't seem to be working for us, since he's had two fleas now.

And thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm a new dog mom so I'm overly paranoid and we're still learning the very best way to care for our sweet boy. I appreciate all the feedback!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Allee Oop!!!, Aug 28 2:49 pm

Biscuit

Barked: Sun Aug 21, '11 8:00pm PST 
Oh, and no gunk around or in his eyes. His eyes are clear, nose looks good, and ears are clear. Its just scratch scratch scratch. :/
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Allee Oop!!!, Aug 28 2:49 pm

Biscuit

Barked: Sun Aug 21, '11 7:57pm PST 
Thanks Mulder. I was just reading about what you all are going through, sounds similar to us! Hope you're doing better!

We were told by our vet (without running any tests) that he was pretty sure Biscuit was dealing with a flea allergy when we adopted him four months ago. So we've been diligent with the prevention, but maybe we need to change it. And his belly rash is weird, it flares up and then goes away, and then flares up again. Its pretty inconsistent.

Its so frustrating, he's so itchy and miserable and there's not much we can do. He's scratching everywhere he can, and chewing his tail, legs and paws. I think we may go ahead and take him to the vet this week and request an actual blood allergy test.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Allee Oop!!!, Aug 28 2:49 pm

Biscuit

Barked: Thu Aug 18, '11 5:12pm PST 
Hi everyone,
Biscuit has gotten noticably more itchy in the last couple weeks. At first it wasn't bad, but in the last two or three days he's scratching a lot, or chewing on his paws and/or belly. He also will rub his head and nose against the carpet a lot. And he's gotten a flare up of this red rash on his belly by his groin as well.

Here's some background:
When we got him from the shelter he had lots of hotspots, the vet said it was likely a flea allergy. Those have cleared up.

He was experiencing really bad shedding and dandruff after the spots cleared up. Vet said to change his food.

We did discover a flea on him a couple weeks ago that he likely picked up on a visit to my husband's parents (they live in a rural area). We didn't see any bites or any other fleas.

He's been on Blue Buffalo Fish and Sweet Potato formula for five weeks now, and we've been giving him fish oil for four weeks. His skin seems a lot better.

I'm not sure what to do next. Could it be a contact allergy, food allergy? Could it just be residual issues from the flea we found? And, can anyone give us some good remedies to help him with the scratching, rash, and the discomfort he's feeling?
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Allee Oop!!!, Aug 28 2:49 pm

Pembroke Welsh Corgi > Corgis and Shedding
Biscuit

Barked: Tue Aug 2, '11 7:00pm PST 
Hi Everyone,
I just posted this on the Cardigan forum too, but I figured I'd post it here too smile

I was wondering if someone could 'shed' some light on Corgi shedding. We've had Biscuit for almost four months, and in the last month he has started to shed like crazy! It's mostly the soft wirey undercoat, but its clumps and clumps of hair. I'm not sure if I should be worried that something's going on, or if he is just shedding his 'winter' coat really late in the season. So, any input would be greatly appreciated!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Mable Jean, Aug 22 2:12 pm

Cardigan Welsh Corgi > Corgis and Shedding

Biscuit

Barked: Tue Aug 2, '11 6:57pm PST 
Hi Everyone,
I was wondering if someone could 'shed' some light on Corgi shedding. We've had Biscuit for almost four months, and in the last month he has started to shed like crazy! It's mostly the soft wirey undercoat, but its clumps and clumps of hair. I'm not sure if I should be worried that something's going on, or if he is just shedding his 'winter' coat really late in the season. So, any input would be greatly appreciated!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Biscuit, Aug 2 6:57 pm

Food & Nutrition > Diamond Naturals and Allergies

Biscuit

Barked: Wed Jul 20, '11 3:32pm PST 
Thanks everyone, I appreciate it!
We started adding some olive oil to Biscuit's food, and it seemed to be helping his coat. But today my husband came home to find that Biscuit had chewed another spot on his back raw, and had then thrown up. He also has licked a raw spot on his stomach. We went ahead and made a vet visit to get an allergy test, but we'll probably wind up switching to grain free food regardless.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Brodie Bear, Jul 21 10:00 pm

Behavior & Training > Things you didn't 'intentionally' teach, but like.

Biscuit

Barked: Thu Jul 14, '11 8:22pm PST 
These are great! smile
Biscuit picked up on 'Go to bed' pretty quickly. We also unintentionally taught him the phrase 'go on a trip' means a car ride, which he loves. He gets excited when I ask him if he wants to go on a trip.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Biscuit, Jul 14 8:22 pm

Food & Nutrition > what is the best thing you add to your dog's diet?
Biscuit

Barked: Thu Jul 14, '11 8:04pm PST 
Have you all noticed improvements in your pups coats after starting them on fish oil? Biscuit has some majorly dry skin and allergies and I'm looking for a good supplement to help with it. I had olive oil in the pantry and have started adding a bit to his food until I can get some fish or flaxseed oil.

Also, this may be a dumb question, but does the fish oil affect your dog's breath at all?
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Missy , Jul 17 9:30 am

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.