Postings by Kip-Kip

GO!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Pomeranian > alopacia x
Kip-Kip

HELLO MY NAME IS- KIP AND I LIKE- THINGS!!

Barked: Fri Jan 17, '14 11:58pm PST 
Have you ruled out food allergies?

A couple of years ago, Kip started losing his hair, and the vet suspected alopecia x. She started him on melatonin, though I didn't notice too much difference; The real difference happened and his hair started growing back after I changed his diet (little dude apparently has a chicken allergy- but on venison, he does spectacularly).

Also, in the process of trying to regrowing his hair, we used DerMagic shampoo (it's supposed to help with alopecia X). He's now got more hair than I ever thought he would have! Hope that helps, and good luck to you!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kip-Kip, Jan 17 11:58 pm

Pomeranian > Dog Smiles- a thread for Happy Poms!
Kip-Kip

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 8:43pm PST 
I don't know about everyone else's pups, but Kip sure is loving the cooler weather! laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kip-Kip, Sep 19 8:43 pm

Pomeranian > Dog Smiles- a thread for Happy Poms!

Kip-Kip

Barked: Wed May 2, '12 12:20pm PST 
Aw thanks Theo!!! He is quite an expressive little goof, that is for sure laugh out loud Theo's got a pretty adorable little smile going on in his profile pic! big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Kip-Kip, Sep 19 8:43 pm

Grooming > Castration/Spay Coat

Kip-Kip

Barked: Wed Apr 18, '12 11:37am PST 
Sampson, I don't know if it's a male issue too or not- definitely female for sure though. I have heard of multiple accounts of it happening with neutered male Irish setters as well as with neutered cocker and cavalier king charles spaniels, though shrug Kip is not any of those breeds... and really, other factors could have caused those individual dogs to go "fuzzy," so who knows. I was only speculating and assuming that the hair growth regulators were to some extent hormone based- the only study I've found was this one which focused on spayed bitches -I think you need a membership to read it from that site, but if are currently in school at a University you might be able to find it in their online library database for free. With bitches, they don't go into the post-heat cycle sheds once spayed, so of course they will stay fluffier- it takes a while to regrow coat after blowing it out. Oogie's coat is looking fantastic post spay- she is just as shiny and fluffy as ever! I attribute much of her coat health to her diet, though; Kip's coat DEFINITELY looks better than it did when it was all falling out from his chicken allergy!! Little dude lost pretty much all of his guard hair and then some on his torso.

I didn't know that vitamin E was needed to aid in the absorption of fish oil- thank you for the information with that! And yes, my two are small; when I would give them the fish oil supplements I would squeeze a near half/half ratio out of one gelcap for each of the dogs, though Kip would get about 3 drops more than Oogie since he is nearly double her size. The one I used for them was one that the vet gave to me when Kip's hair started falling out from the chicken allergy (which had not yet been determined at that time). Anyway, I would probably just split a vitamin E gelcap in the same way between the dogs; if they were 400IU then Kip would get slightly over 200IU and Oogie would get slightly less than 200IU. Do you think that would be more appropriate for their size? Kip is 6.3 pounds, Oogie is 3.6. Or would it be better to find something smaller like a 200IU dose and split that dose between them?

Max, I am happy that your coat has improved! You sound like you are on top of it. And I agree, the fuzzies must go, regardless of how they showed up!

If the stones don't work as well as hand plucking, I will avoid them then. A metal flea comb seems like it would be a good investment anyway so I am going to go ahead and pick one of those up. I may end up getting one of those MCK brushes too just to have on hand- If I don't like it my parent's surely can end up using it on their Brittany Spaniel. Do you think the super-fine size 20 would be a good fit?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Samson, Apr 19 6:37 am

Kip-Kip

Barked: Wed Apr 18, '12 11:25am PST 
WOW this post got all scrambled and repeated, trying to delete.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Samson, Apr 19 6:37 am

Kip-Kip

Barked: Wed Apr 18, '12 2:49am PST 
Max and Happy, thank you both so much for your help with this- you both clearly have had more experience dealing with this sort of thing than myself! After reading and watching the videos, I started gently pulling on some of the fluff off of Kip's legs... and now I have a nearly tennis ball sized clump of fluff to show for it!! Luckily for me the little dude is like a noodle in my arms/hands and has no qualms about having any part of his body messed with, which made it a lot easier. Honestly he slept through most of it, so it must not hurt him at all laugh out loud

I would like to find a faster way to do it though- if you had to chose one tool which sped the process up without damaging the coat that works particularly well on the leg areas, which would you recommend? Or is hand stripping really the best option in this case? I don't want to damage any of his fur that shouldn't be coming out. The grooming stone looks pretty neat and the coat king is expensive but has rave reviews on amazon- but like you said Max, I don't know if de-fuzzifying legs would warrant buying an expensive comb that may not even be the best tool to get the job done on Kip's legs. There are so many tools out there to choose from, I don't know how groomers know which ones to pick!

Anyway his legs look a bit better now- they have a sleeker line but the remaining coat for the most part still has a bit of a fuzzy/soft/dull texture to it and there are still some stray wooly bits I need to work out. I'm also going to look into the Plush Puppy coat products when I make my way to the pet store later this week- hopefully that will help out too. I really feel like some sort of protective type conditioning leave-in spray would probably do nothing but help the situation.

I also think I'm going to start adding fish oil back into their food- I used to supplement their kibble with it, but once I switched them to raw I just kind of stopped shrug Do either of you have a particular brand or type of fish oil that you recommend specifically for coat health?
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Samson, Apr 19 6:37 am

Kip-Kip

Barked: Tue Apr 17, '12 7:16pm PST 
That is so strange that the image isn't showing up- I'm going to try one more time- I uploaded the image to a facebook album rather than trying to create a forum code from the e-mail image: Kip's coat Hopefully that one will work! This one is smaller but you can still kind of see the fuzz funk on his leg.

Anyhoo, thank you again Happy, I will send a p-mail but please don't feel pressured to go dig anything up if you don't have something on hand/in mind already!
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Samson, Apr 19 6:37 am

Kip-Kip

Barked: Tue Apr 17, '12 6:13pm PST 
Happy, thanks for your response! The picture probably didn't load because it was too large... I wanted to show the detail in it so it had to be bigger. Anyway, I resized it so here is a smaller image of Kip's coat Maybe that will load? Other than on his legs, his coat seems pretty normal thankfully- the weird fuzzy wooly funk hasn't made it's way to any other part of his body yet. To me, it does look really similar to what happens to Spaniels and Setters post spay/neuter. I wish the vet would have warned me that coat change could occur following the surgery beforehand, but then again I just went with what was recommended before really researching it for myself so I suppose it's my own fault.

Anyway, if the spay/castration coat is the case, I'd like to learn how to strip it out myself rather than take him to a groomer. Do you have any online tutorials or specific tools that you would recommend? The only part I would be stripping on him would be his legs. Also, would stripping out the weird fuzzy junk leave his legs bald? Or would normal, sleek hairs be left behind? I am new to grooming other than the basic bathing/blow-drying/brushing with a slicker brush and occasionally with a de-matting brush.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Samson, Apr 19 6:37 am

Kip-Kip

Barked: Tue Apr 17, '12 3:05pm PST 
I also wanted to note: currently I use DerMagic shampoo and conditioner on both of my pups- I used it to help heal Kip's skin and re-grow his fur when it started falling out due to his chicken allergy. It really helped! Other than that I don't use anything on their coats other than an all natural, essential oil based flea repellant spray.

I must admit I have been over-bathing over the course of the past two months (last month they got two baths, this month they've been getting a bath every week) due to trying to fight fleas off here in Texas. The more it warms up the worse the fleas seem to get- they always jump onto the pups when we go outside even though the apartment complex sprays for them. Unfortunately, frequent vacuuming/washing of linens and treating the apartment with diatomaceous earth has not been able to manage the issue, so I decided to give the dogs sentinel (the heartworm/flea-egg-inhibitor pill) this month instead of the heartguard. Hopefully that combined with the vaccuming/washing/diatamaceous earth will solve the problem- I was really hoping to not have to give them any kind of flea medicine but at this point it seemed like that was the only option :/ After researching it I found that lufenuron (the flea egg inhibitor in sentinel) was better tolerated than comfortis or any of the topical flea treatments (which the fleas in Texas are becoming resistant to anyway, it seems). Stupid fleas.

So, any recommendations for coat sprays/conditioners that help combat the loss of oil from frequent bathing would also be appreciated. I'm certain that the extra bathtime isn't doing anything to help Kip's fuzzy leg problem frown
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Samson, Apr 19 6:37 am

Kip-Kip

Barked: Tue Apr 17, '12 2:22pm PST 
So, my Kip (a pomeranian/chihuahua mix) has got a case of the "fuzzies" along the sides of his legs and has for a long time now- It looks similar to puppy coat, and for a good period of time I had assumed that is what it was and that it would fall out on it's own and be replaced with adult coat... so far, that hasn't happened, and Kip will be a year and a half old at the end of this month. Yes, I realize full adult coats don't typically show up until around age 2 in many breeds, but after doing some research I highly suspect that Kip has a mild case of Castration Coat (often called spay coat, but he was neutered so calling it a "spay" coat doesn't really seem correct).

Kip was neutered at approximately 7 months, and in retrospect I wish I would have skipped the procedure altogether or at least waited until he was several years old. I had his littermate sister spayed when she was about 15 months old and so far she hasn't had any of the fuzzies crop up, though her coat is thicker than it was prior to the spay- granted, she blew coat pretty heavily following her first (and only) heat cycle and was pretty fluffy before she blew her coat.

That said, they have always had coats which differed in texture from one another even prior to desexing- Oogie has always had a shorter, fuller, fluffier coat with more undercoat and has never had any issues with matting. Kip's hair has always been longer (with less undercoat), thinner, softer, and much more prone to matting (especially behind the ears). His ear and tail fringe is significantly longer than his sister's. So, maybe having him neutered had nothing to do with with his fuzziness problem, but I suspect on some level that it does.

He's on a raw food diet (red meats only- he is allergic to chicken) so I don't really think his diet is contributing to the coat problem- I am considering adding zinc to his diet to see if that helps his coat at all, though.

Anyway, here is a picture of Kip's coat- look at his front leg The picture is large to try to show some detail.

For those of you who have experience with the condition, does it look like castration/spay coat to you? If so, what tools and/or products can I use to make his coat look normal and sleek on his legs rather than fuzzy/wooly? Any advice is appreciated.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Samson, Apr 19 6:37 am

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.