GO!

(Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  

Dog Health > Uh oh. We are overweight.
Libby

Shake it baby!

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '12 4:18pm PST 
I would definately cut down their food and increase exercise.

If they still aren't satisified when you cut back their kibble, try adding some green beans in with it to help fill them with very few calories. Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Mar 15 4:18 pm

Dog Health > Pyometra in an 11 year old dog
Libby

Shake it baby!

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '12 4:00pm PST 
I'm so sorry you are going through this. How worrisome!hug

We've had several older dogs come in at work with this problem. I'm assuming your vet has her overnight with IV antibiotics?
Sometimes the surgery can be avoided but most that I've seen have required removeing the offending organs.

As far as the mammory tumor goes, I would ask the vet in his or her opinion, how long they think she could sustain a quality of life without removal of the tumor. If it's a year or two that may be a better choice unless your looking at potential chemo/radiation.

By the way, of all of the older pyo dogs we've operated on, all of them did very well and made complete recoveries.

Best of luck with your decision and please keep us posted!
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Mar 8 12:09 am

Dog Health > Are internal Flea Treatments Poison for dogs?

Libby

Shake it baby!

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '12 3:43pm PST 
We also like to try to use natural products whenever possible. However, last year was a nightmare for fleas and all 4 of my dogs got infested. I ended up giving 3 of the dogs Comfortis (Timmy has a seizure disorder so we won't even try it with him. He was bathed and hand picked of all fleas). The Comfortis worked like a charm but I'd rather use it only when needed.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Mar 16 10:48 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > Is refusing to treat dyspnea/heart disease justifiable as neglect/abuse?

Libby

Shake it baby!

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '12 1:06pm PST 
I'm glad to hear that she did indeed take the cat to the vet. You are a kind soul to speak up on the cat's behalf.
One thing I wanted to point out regarding people hesitant to take their animal to the vet because they are afraid to hear the animal needs to be "put down". When you love something, you don't want to hear bad news but by NOT seeking medical treatment you only guarantee that an animal won't recieve the advantage of a possible treatment, be it cheap or expensive.
I always advise people to at least go and then make an INFORMED decision. It's what our pets deserve.way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Mar 27 6:07 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > A New Life For Gunner!

Libby

Shake it baby!

Barked: Mon Mar 5, '12 3:43pm PST 
He is adorable!
I can also guess labradoodle.
Thank you for giving him a good life out of the basement. He's a happy pup now, I'll bet!wink
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Mar 5 7:56 pm

Dog Health > glucosamine, chondroitin ?
Libby

Shake it baby!

Barked: Mon Mar 5, '12 3:39pm PST 
Thank you for adopting a special needs dog. He's lucky someone so caring chose him!cloud 9

I would talk to your vet about recommendations, just in case he or she has other ideas. If the vet recommends it, there are some really good ones available over the counter. Personally, I like 21st Century brand that Petsmart carries. I'm a bit cynical of the mail order companies as many of them import from China. Just make sure any type you buy comes from a country with good practices.

There are also some foods that contain glucousamine, too.

Good luck with your little guy!way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Mar 7 10:57 am

Dog Health > Are dogs from breeders really healthier than shelter dogs?

Libby

Shake it baby!

Barked: Thu Mar 1, '12 4:42pm PST 
Most of the health problems you posted are enviromentally induced (parasites, infections, neglect) and oftentimes are found in shelter animals but usually they are "fixable".
The most common problem with purebreds are congenital. Goldens specifically are prone to certain cancers, hip dysplasia, skin issues and ear issues. Not to say they aren't great dogs because my Maddy was totally awesome!wink
Proper testing will help eliminate some of the worries but again, certain breeds carry a much stronger tendency to certain issues.
[notify]
» There has since been 86 posts. Last posting by , Mar 7 12:29 pm

Senior Dogs > Senior Dog Peeing

Libby

Shake it baby!

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 4:40pm PST 
If the urination happens while she is sleeping, her muscles have become slack and Proin may help.
If you haven't already done so, you may want to have a urinalysis run on her just to rule out any chance that there may be an infection adding to her incontinence.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , May 17 1:42 pm

Behavior & Training > Dangers of free roaming

Libby

Shake it baby!

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 4:35pm PST 
Not to be a further downer but when I went into work this morning I found out a dog had been shot by a neighbor who was "tired of the dog coming on his property."
People sadden me so much sometimes. Poor dogs.cry
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Feb 26 1:08 pm

Behavior & Training > Dangers of free roaming
Libby

Shake it baby!

Barked: Mon Feb 20, '12 1:20pm PST 
My heart is breaking for a clients 6 year old wonderful Golden Retriever who was admitted to our hospital this morning.
The owner knew she had "ate something" over the weekend and she continued to get sicker and sicker. He brought her in first thing this morning and poor little Molly had her head hung and one glance told you she felt miserable.
Long story short, I live in a somewhat rural area and many people feel that because they live on several acres that their dogs are safe to free roam. Someone in his area had set out radiator fluid to kill a stray dog. Molly is now dog number 2 to take the bait (antifreeze is very sweet).
She's not going to make it through the night, this I know. I just wanted to share this story to warn people that even though you may have the greatest, sweetest dog in the world, not everyone is going to be kind or well intentioned towards your animal.
Please keep your dog's leashed or contained for their safety.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Feb 26 1:08 pm

(Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.