GO!

(Page 1 of 24: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Do you "do" Day Care? Please share!
D'artagnan

I'm not lazy,- I'm just waiting- to play..

Barked: Fri Aug 9, '13 4:56pm PST 
D'artagnan has been going to day camp since he was 4 months old, since I worked there. I know a lot of people don't like day care 'chains' but I worked in a Petsmart Hotel and the protocols and procedures are in line with Ember's list. And Dar LOVES going. I do agree with others though that I would only bring him to places that I have worked or know people who have gone there, even other Petsmarts. I worry way to much when it comes to him smile
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Aug 10 3:01 pm

Behavior & Training > Latest Dogster Mag Trip Through Bizzaro Land
D'artagnan

Barked: Fri Jun 14, '13 8:18am PST 
Thanks for this thread. I read this article yesterday and didn't really think about it, but it kept bugging me as to why the dog walker got away with only a torn sweater (and maybe a bruise) from this big vicious attacking dog...
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Jun 15 10:03 pm

Behavior & Training > Socialize small to big?

D'artagnan

Barked: Fri May 24, '13 10:04am PST 
Sorry, phone is being stupid.... confused
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , May 29 9:27 am

Behavior & Training > Socialize small to big?

D'artagnan

Barked: Fri May 24, '13 6:58am PST 
I think what you did was good. I think it is better to introduce the calmer dogs first even if they are bigger. I would just keep the more excitable dogs on a leash until Jem is older and confident. I know it depends on the dogs personality, but Dar used to love playing with big dogs when he was younger and now gets pretty cranky with the non calm big dogs (even if they don't touch him or were excitable but gentle) . Even though he rarely got hurt, I think he just got sick of being beat up when he was older and attributed that feeling to almost all big dogs. My thought is that if he had only stuck with the gentler big dogs he would have that as a base and wouldn't think that ALL big dogs are rough.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , May 29 9:27 am

Behavior & Training > Is a reactive dog considered aggressive?

D'artagnan

Barked: Thu May 2, '13 9:51am PST 
D'artagnan isn't reactive, but he will growl and snap/ tell off a strange dog that wants to play and jumps on his head. Most of these owners think he is mean and aggressive. Unfortunatly the definition is in the landlords hands not yours. You could ask exactly what they mean- dog that has bit someone before versus a dog that may growl in a certain circumstance- but it seems like they weren't giving you a good vibe about it, so best idea is to find a new place.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , May 3 10:27 am

Behavior & Training > For the Fear of Dogs...? How do you handle people afraid of your dog?
D'artagnan

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 8:18am PST 
Even with a 15 pound dog I get adults that are scared. I have just ignored them and kept going. I don't think I have ever had a person scream though. That would get at least a dirty look. The dog is on a leash right next to me so stop being ridiculous. If he is on a flexi I do always reel him in when people walk by just in case and then they don't have to worry about an 'uncontrolled' dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 25 posts. Last posting by , Apr 26 11:43 am

Behavior & Training > Have you ever shouted at your dog?

D'artagnan

Barked: Sat Mar 16, '13 7:45pm PST 
I don't generally have too(and try not to), but lately I think Dar has been trying to push my buttons. I was picking him up at my parents house and I took him out back to pee. He was all excited, ran around, spotted a kid playing basketball on the street and charged all barking and growling. He didn't pass the fence (post and rail) thank god, but I was SO MAD.I just yelled 'GET OVER HERE NOW!' which I think half the neighborhood heard. But Dar thought he was all awesome and stuff and took off in the other direction around the house. I followed him until he realized I wasn't giving up and when he sat his butt down, he got yelled at again and told to go into the house.inside, I was ignoring him and still fuming, but he just grabbed his bully stick and sat in my lap smile
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Mar 21 7:30 am

Behavior & Training > Is Your Dog a Protection Dog?

D'artagnan

Barked: Sat Mar 16, '13 7:22pm PST 
D'artagnan is my little guard dog. I don't know what he would do if we weren't home, but when we are he will go after a person and try and chase them away or does a kind of 'guard' where he will bark and circle the person. He won't bite though. I learned of his protectiveness the hard way when the maintenance guy came to let me know our new AC was in. It was fine until he left and then Dar chased him down the stairs...oops. Now if someone comes to the door we have to tell Dar to back off or sit/stay because the second you open the door he WILL charge the person. If we let the person in he is fine, but if someone broke in he would definitely have a problem with that.

Anywhere else, he is friendly or ignores people. I have had people walk by me that I didn't know where there and not even a peep from him. I don't know if it would be different if I was actually attacked though.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Mar 24 1:30 pm

Raw Food Diet > dog study, diet related, different from wolves

D'artagnan

Barked: Sun Jan 27, '13 8:34pm PST 
I think some people took the cake analogy a little too literally.... Maybe I should have said 'as part of a balanced diet'? shrug Do people really believe that just because you can digest something it is the best for you?

This study proves ONLY that dogs have a better ability than wolves to digest starch. It proves that dogs are not obligate carnivorous which many people already know. It does NOT prove that dogs NEED starch in their diet. It states that dogs 'thrived' on high starch diets, which there is no proof or any evidence of in the study. The only proven fact is that they SURVIVED on a high starch diet. The study also does NOT prove that a dog cannot get all of its needed nutrients from a raw diet, and therefore needs starch. And yet this is a quote from an article about the study:

"Robert Wayne, a geneticist at the University of California, Los Angeles, who is also studying ancient dog genomes, says that starch metabolism could have been an important adaptation for dogs....
Nevertheless, the study adds to evidence that dogs should not eat the same food as wolves, says Wayne, who points out that dog food is rich in carbohydrates and low in protein compared with plain meat. “Every day I get an email from a dog owner who asks, should they feed their dog like a wolf," says Wayne. "I think this paper answers that question: no.”" http://www.nature.com/news/dog-s-dinner-was-key-to-domestication-1.1 2280.

Where is the specific evidentiary PROOF that a dog (in general) CANNOT eat and thrive on the same diet as a wolf? Because it doesn't come from this article.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Feb 2 4:41 pm

Raw Food Diet > dog study, diet related, different from wolves
D'artagnan

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 9:00am PST 
In this article I didn't see anything say it is BETTER for dogs to eat starch just that they have a better survivability if they can't eat protein. This quote said it all for me:

"More copies means more protein, and test-tube studies indicate that dogs should be fivefold better than wolves at digesting starch, the chief nutrient in agricultural grains such as wheat and rice. The number of copies of this gene also varies in people: Those eating high carbohydrate diets -- such as the Japanese and European Americans -- have more copies than people with starch-poor diets, such as the Mbuti in Africa."

It is showing that bodies adjust to survive and get more nutrients out of what is being forced onto the body, not that it is overall what their body needs. Wouldn't people all have the same amount of the gene if that was the case? Or are people in Mbuti evolving into carnivores?

In other words, I can digest sugar perfectly fine but eating cake and ice cream as part of my diet is probably not the best way to go.
[notify]
» There has since been 42 posts. Last posting by , Feb 2 4:41 pm

(Page 1 of 24: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.